PDA

View Full Version : going to work up in the territories.

jamieishere
05-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Going up Monday to fort smith.
I'm definatly bringing my rods.

Anyone fished up there?:sHa_shakeshout:

Bigwoodsman
05-25-2012, 08:24 PM
I was up there for the summer of 1983 working. Fished the Slave River for pike and walleye. There was a river a few miles out of town can't really remember how far, but back towards Hay River, called the Salt River I think, caught some nice pike out of there as well. Got to know a chopper pilot who was hauling barrels of fuel north and would go with him, sometimes we would fish for lake trout on lakes he knew. We caught a few but I don't recall the names of the lakes.

BW

jamieishere
05-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Awesome! I'm pumped there's a river that flows by fort smith looks like a worthy place on Google maps haha

Bigwoodsman
05-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Awesome! I'm pumped there's a river that flows by fort smith looks like a worthy place on Google maps haha

The Slave River is right there flows between Lake Athabasca and Great Slave Lake. Get to know the locals and you will do alright. I am sure there are more roads and trails there now then there was 30 years or so ago. Lots of Bears to if my memory serves me right.

I believe there are a set of rapids right below the town, awesome colors in the fall, one of the prettiest places I have ever visited.

BW

jamieishere
05-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Haha well I won't be going alone that's for sure. The great slave that's by hayriver right?

jamieishere
05-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Rapids? I shall toss my fly in there lol . i bet it was beautifull ill snap pics and post them if you like

Pappa
05-25-2012, 08:49 PM
I envy you. My favorite Uncle went to Ft Smith in 1972. He retired back to Central Alberta in 1987. He always talked about the fishing and hunting and then SNOW around the area. Hope you enjoy the area and YES, get friendly with the locals. They love to share with decent people.

Bigwoodsman
05-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Yup I would bring a fly rod. Back then I wasn't even aware of fly fishing....just work work work. Great Slave is the one by Hay River. I had boxes of pictures but alas I have no idea where they are now. You used to be able to stand on top of the bank, I bet you are 300 feet above the river ant take picturs of the scenery below. Pretty cool. If I remember right the grade down to the lake was something like 30 percent, make sure your vehicle has good brakes LOL.

BW

jamieishere
05-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Lol sounds Like a blast. I'm a roofer so those rainy days will be my fishing days haha. And were driveing company trucksso don't have to worry bout the vehicle situation. I'm gonna see if there's any small lakes around to practice more fly fishing lol

Pappa
05-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Enjoy yourself, you don't know it now but, this will be one of your "glory summers" you remember later in life. Don't hold back.... But don't get fired either...LOL

jamieishere
05-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Enjoy yourself, you don't know it now but, this will be one of your "glory summers" you remember later in life. Don't hold back.... But don't get fired either...LOL

Bahaha thanks for the guidence lol cheers

Bigwoodsman
05-26-2012, 08:34 AM

So true, I have had almost 30 summers pass be by since I was there, and your mention of Fort Smith brought back all of these memories. Enjoy your time there, put some good dollars in your pocket, and enjoy the country side, 30 years from now you will be answering questions for some other guy, and recalling all your good times at the Fort.

BW

Big Bull
05-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Give Dan a call at Andrew Lake Lodge(he has a banner on the top of this page), he often runs specials for Fort Smith locals. I think he charges around $100 to fly you into one of his lakes and provides you with a boat, motor, and gas for the day. Expect to catch lakers, walleye, and pike. Tell him Big Bull sent yah!

jamieishere
05-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Give Dan a call at Andrew Lake Lodge(he has a banner on the top of this page), he often runs specials for Fort Smith locals. I think he charges around $100 to fly you into one of his lakes and provides you with a boat, motor, and gas for the day. Expect to catch lakers, walleye, and pike. Tell him Big Bull sent yah!

Wow! That's not to bad of a deal haha.

When I get up there ill be sure to take pictures and share