PDA

View Full Version : Ipilot reviews

wbaj
05-25-2012, 09:34 PM
I read the past posts on these rigs, mostly positive comments for sure. Has anyone else put one on recently who cares to comment? Any problems, or things to look out for?
I am planning to install a 50 lb Powerdrive V2 with a 48 inch shaft on a 14 foot Naden complete with ipilot. The boat and gas motor together only weighs about 400 lbs. I troll quite a lot, I am hoping for battery life for the whole day.
What do you guys think? Based on past experience, will a good quality battery last for the day?

npauls
05-25-2012, 09:40 PM
I think that rig will be beauty on your boat.

As long as you aren't trolling into the wind at full tilt you shouldn't have a problem with battery life with a good battery.

harrydude
05-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Biggest thing I would recommend s go 24 volt or 36 volt .... But t least 24 if you want it for all day....

A 12 volt system will only last a half day at best....

I use a co pilot 24 volt system and get 8 plus hrs out of it ....

A buddy has the 12 voly I Pilot and does not get the life out of it...

pelada trochu
05-25-2012, 09:48 PM
i have a 17' boat that is about 1700lbs plus myself. i usually take it easy and baby it to get through 6hrs of fishing, mostly positioning. i expect to need dual batteries not my single to make it through any sustained trolling.

your application is a bit less taxing. so you should go a full 6 hours taking it easy on a single battery 200ah. but i wouldnt expect more.

i-pilot is cool to get repetative on your speed and location. heard you can record the first track at high speed on your motor then return to troll it while focusing on your fishing. me like that. also like the anchor feature for when you hit a fish on your track. pain to drift way off while you fight a fish.

i want one! :)

pelada trochu
05-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Biggest thing I would recommend s go 24 volt or 36 volt .... But t least 24 if you want it for all day....

arre they the same boats, twin batteries, etc???

ArtVandelay
05-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Harry, I have to disagree with this. I have a 45 lb Powerdrive V2 with iPilot on a highly modified (casting decks, rod lockers, seats) 16ft Naden CBL and have no problem getting 2 days on a single charge with a 12 volt battery. Does the trolling motor have the digital maximizer?

chubbdarter
05-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Earth calling Bob...please post

harrydude
05-25-2012, 10:03 PM
No it does not.... Does yers

wbaj
05-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Harry, I have to disagree with this. I have a 45 lb Powerdrive V2 with iPilot on a highly modified (casting decks, rod lockers, seats) 16ft Naden CBL and have no problem getting 2 days on a single charge with a 12 volt battery. Does the trolling motor have the digital maximizer?

I have not yet purchased it, still in the process of looking for the best price. But I would be sure the digital feature is part of the deal. From my research this really adds to battery life.

TJG
05-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Answer: Get one as soon as u can. U will love it,
mine is 3 seasons old and going strong, record a
track is the best feature, I use it all the time. You can record,
on mine, up to three tracks and it saves them till recorded over.
The compass is useful when trolling and fishing while recording,
anchor is good as mentioned, cruise is great, same speed
up or down, same as the truck! You will love it.

As mentioned before, if you can afford 24 volt, do it.
I have both bow(70#) and transom(80#) electrics, both 24 volt &
I can get two days out of my batteries, one full day
fighting a big wind and waves, but still a 1/4 charge left.