PDA

View Full Version : Which outboard for my 14 ft. Lund?

Bobby B.
05-26-2012, 08:09 AM
My Lund is rated for 15 hp. Which outboard is the better, Honda, Yamaha or Mercury?

Bobby B.

lone wolf
05-26-2012, 09:43 AM
My Lund is rated for 15 hp. Which outboard is the better, Honda, Yamaha or Mercury?

Bobby B.

I have a Mercury 15, 4 stroke on my 14ft and am happy with it. Also heard from the owner of the local boat shop that parts for the Japanese motors are more difficult to obtain, following the devastating tsunami last year.

Willowtrail
05-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Evinrude

TROLLER
05-26-2012, 10:54 AM
I have the Yamaha 9.9 high thrust and cannot be happier, had an Evinrude before but it just did not have enough HP for my boat. Not the engines fault just too small a motor

I really like the Honda but service is hard to get because there are too few dealers, that is why I went Yamaha plus a 3 yr warranty.

trapshooter
05-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Evinrude

x2

Big Sky
05-26-2012, 11:31 AM
I you're looking at a new Merc, I'd check out Tohatsu. The small Merc's are built by Tohatsu. You should be able to save a few bucks.

Bobby B.
05-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Evinrude

Must admit, I'm a bit surprised by your response. For whatever reason, I've been under the impression that Evinrude was junk and that Honda, Yamaha and Merc was the way to go. Don't misunderstand my words, I'm not saying Evinrude is junk, it's just what I've heard in the past. I really don't know which are the better outboards.

Bobby B.

bikerman
05-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Must admit, I'm a bit surprised by your response. For whatever reason, I've been under the impression that Evinrude was junk and that Honda, Yamaha and Merc was the way to go. Don't misunderstand my words, I'm not saying Evinrude is junk, it's just what I've heard in the past. I really don't know which are the better outboards.

Bobby B.
For small boats I'm a fan of 2 stroke motors because of the handling weight if you have to mount the engine each time out(truck topper). If your boat is on a trailer, then the motor is mounted and weight is not a factor if you go for a four stroke. I have a 15hp Evinrude on my 14 footer and it is perfect for me, much faster than a 15hp four stroke when loaded with gear and 3 people.
To me the only advantage to a 4 stroke is better fuel mileage(likely at least 50% better) but I find them too slow.
I think all the outboards are pretty good these days, and Evinrude/Johnson are right up there with the best when cared for. Mine is 25 yrs old.

Hunter Trav
05-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Evinrude

If your springing for brand new, I would definitely be checking out a new E-Tec evinrude for sure...:D

Kokanee9
05-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Just wondering how many Evinrude Dealers there are in all of AB?

Elk Chaser
05-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Mercury is made by TOHATSU, so when you are buying the one with the Mercury stickers it is really an overpriced TOHATSU. Because we all know the mercury stickers cost a couple hundred $$$ more than TOHATSU stickers.

sanjuanworm
05-27-2012, 09:34 AM
I have a johnson 25hp on my 14ft lund. It's just fine. They've been around for years as has Merc. Johnson = Evinrude = Johnson.

Just buy what you want. Read up on the specs. If I could afford brand new it'd be honda or yamaha.

TROLLER
05-27-2012, 11:21 AM
I have an Evinrude 70 on my Cresliner and it was made by Suzuki. But since they were taken over by Bombardier I don't know who makes their motors. I had a 5hp 4 stoker kicker Evinrude that was also Suzuki but it just did not have the power in a wind.

I would check into who is making the motors for Evinrude especially the kicker size.

While the 2 stroke is less money the life expectancy is much greater for the 4 stroke and way better and gas as well as quieter.

Again I like the Yamaha, the high thrust allows you to go down in HP and still accomplish the same thing as a higher HP

Bigdad013
05-27-2012, 11:36 AM
My first pick would be a merc, never had a problem with one. I have a johnson 15 hp kicker on my boat, runs like a dream, never ever a problem in last 5 years, it's used probably around 300+ hours a year

Pixel Shooter
05-27-2012, 11:56 AM
My first pic too would be a Merc, but I would be definitely open to try a Yamaha or Honda for that matter if the price is right. no other brands for moi

Smokey
05-27-2012, 12:02 PM
I use to have a newer 14 foot Lund. We had a 25 hp Johnson tiller on the ol girl. Lots of stink. We could do 36-38 km/h acccording to the GPS. Use to pull a tube with it too when we were bored. I now have a 19 foot Glastron, and Id take the Lund any day. Worst decsion to sell that boat.

Gus
05-27-2012, 07:30 PM

Bobby B.

Depends on if your going for a new or used one. I have a '79 Evinrude 15HP and its awesome. Those older Johnson/ Evinrudes run forever.

marty1
05-27-2012, 07:50 PM

Bobby B.

well i have an 98 evinrude 9.9 4 stroke and never a problem and she still pulls on one pull every time not bad for 14 years old.regardless what u bye if u take care and don't run old gas (it is apparently only good for a week ) it should last longer than u.but getting back to your three picks (mercury no question).

Bobby B.
05-27-2012, 08:48 PM
I'll be buying new. Kinda leaning towards a Honda. I've owned Honda bikes, Honda cars, Honda snowblowers, Honda lawnmowers............all have been excellent.

Bobby B.

elkoholik
05-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Have a yamaha 15 on my Lund WC 12 and it has been a great motor, a little more heavier than a 2 stroke but has not let me down yet. Been on the west coast in some decent water and never worried about reliability. I would also say the Honda would be right up there with the Yammi and be a great choice. Go with the biggest you can run and afford as you can always back off on the throttle or throw out a drift anchor to slow you down if needed but when you need to go you have it ready and available.

Cheers, Dave.

Hunter Trav
05-28-2012, 12:17 PM
I'll be buying new. Kinda leaning towards a Honda. I've owned Honda bikes, Honda cars, Honda snowblowers, Honda lawnmowers............all have been excellent.

Bobby B.

I don't think you'll go wrong with the Honda...:D