PDA

View Full Version : Electric motor advice

Rascal4now
05-26-2012, 09:09 PM
I bought an electric motor at Canadian Tire last year and when I went to use it this year, it wouldn't work. I took it all apart and found that the motor and windings were full of rust. Heck of a mess. I cleaned it out and checked the 'o' rings where it goes back together. They seem fine. However, water must be getting in somewhere. Any advice as to how to avoid this happening again?

falroy
05-26-2012, 11:05 PM
What kind of motor is it? I have a minkota and a bunch of fishing line got caught around the prop shaft and ruined the prop shaft seal. So I bought a new seal kit and set of brushes. I cleaned out the armature with a cleaner meant for alternators. Cost $20. If you got water in the lower end I would get a new seal kit and use silicon grease on the o-rings

Rascal4now
05-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Thank you for the reply falroy. i actually did part of what you said. however, i did use another type of grease. It's a Can Tire Brand. Drifter I believe. 35lb thrust.I did use grease but i forget the name but it is specific for bearings and the other for o rings. Do you know if there should be dialectic oil in those motors.

falroy
05-27-2012, 11:56 PM
I know the minn Kota does not the only grease or oil in the lower end is the bit of grease on the prop shaft behind the shaft seals.