PDA

View Full Version : Whitefish help please.

omega50
05-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Fished a southern alberta lake for pike yesterday and the waters were teeming with whitefish.
Caught only one as I was set up for pike only with large hooks and smelts. Found a small hook on the ground and dug up some worms. The fish took it off the bottom- bit confused as the waters were rippling on the surface. Explain please.:)
Saw guys across the inlet with small floats casting and just hammering those fish-Could not tell what their terminal tackle was except it was not baited-Guessing they had flies.

Wheelfisher
05-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Years ago, I was fishing a lake known for its walleye. The water was glass smooth, and off in the distance, we would see dozens of fins breaking the surface. We couldn't figure out what they were, as the fish would immediately disperse if we came close with the boat. I finally put on a small five of diamonds spoon, cast toward the "fins". Turned out it was schooling whitefish.

omega50
05-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Years ago, I was fishing a lake known for its walleye. The water was glass smooth, and off in the distance, we would see dozens of fins breaking the surface. We couldn't figure out what they were, as the fish would immediately disperse if we came close with the boat. I finally put on a small five of diamonds spoon, cast toward the "fins". Turned out it was schooling whitefish.

And? Did you catch any? :)

upongrassy
05-27-2012, 04:05 PM
use wire worms and a bobber

omega50
05-27-2012, 04:11 PM
I gutted the one I did catch to see what it had been feeding on. I suspected a mayfly hatch or something similar. Yet it was just jammed full of smelts. Stomach was bursting- I was fishing smelts for 6 hours and never even had a nibble. Guess those whitefish were robbing someone else.

omega50
05-27-2012, 04:21 PM
use wire worms and a bobber

Do you tip them with anything?

My wife had these in her tackle box-Her father since passed was a huge whitefish fanatic and made these about 20 years ago

Dust1n
05-27-2012, 06:50 PM
small wireworm under a bober works fine but i like to use a black cronimid with a whitehead on 4x tippit with the fly rod

Gus
05-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Do you tip them with anything?

My wife had these in her tackle box-Her father since passed was a huge whitefish fanatic and made these about 20 years ago

Those are red wire worms. I generally use those for ice fishing and tip them with a maggot or powerbait maggot. Personally never tried them in open water but it should work just fine under a bobber, I would use a very light rod though white fish can have a very soft bite.

omega50
05-27-2012, 08:41 PM
I am heading back out tomorrow-Thanks for all the tips. That fish just came out of the smoker and it is tasty-Warrants a more focused targeted attempt

Sheepriverrules
05-27-2012, 10:27 PM
one last tip of adivice i suspect that they are lake whitfish and not rockies. The best thing i find would be 1. a fly or 2. a small spoon or panther martian spinner if you have either give them a shot

mikebossy
05-28-2012, 12:53 AM
if you use the wireworms, be sure to position the line and knot so that when its sitting in the water it sits horizontally,

Jamie Black R/T
05-28-2012, 07:16 AM
if you use the wireworms, be sure to position the line and knot so that when its sitting in the water it sits horizontally,

yep....just like you do with a jighead

and using a small slip bobber is the way to go with lake whites as they strike so light the slip bobber allows them to take the bait....if you are just jigging the wire worm odds are either you will A: not feel the bite or B: the fish will feel the rod tension up before you do and in turn spit the bait.

wait for the float to sink then reel up your slack and unleash a bill dance hookset! but try to stay in the boat :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Wheelfisher
05-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Yes, I caught a lake white on a small five of diamonds.

Sundancefisher
05-28-2012, 10:37 AM
I gutted the one I did catch to see what it had been feeding on. I suspected a mayfly hatch or something similar. Yet it was just jammed full of smelts. Stomach was bursting- I was fishing smelts for 6 hours and never even had a nibble. Guess those whitefish were robbing someone else.

Whitefish do chase and eat minnows...not smelt. Smelt are not native to Alberta. Likely spot tailed shiners, fathead minnows or lake chub. Wire worms under a bobber should work. Also if the bottom is sandy...a split show and frozen minnow on a single hook should work. Live minnows are illegal.

Dust1n
05-28-2012, 03:26 PM
For structure i like to fish inside the marinas where scuds and boatman are actve and plentiful all season long.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/Whitefish/453.jpg

wangfan89
05-29-2012, 04:02 PM
wow! beautiful whites in summer.

Calgaryguy1977
05-30-2012, 06:04 AM
I've caught these on a wet fly a few times.....I can't speak for what bait to use but I find nymph flies work on them. Namely, any prince nymph with some orange or red in it.