PDA

View Full Version : Stauffer Creek 2012

TheYoungFlyFisherman
05-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Hey I visited stauffer for the first time this year. Saw quite a few rises and watched a few small ones dart away trying to get to them. I happened to stumble upon a monster lurking in the middle of the creek, must have been 26 inches, unfortunately I was on the bank nestled amongst the trees and watched him swim away upstream. I have yet to land anything and have hooked only a couple so far. Strategy wise should I cover ground or find a promising area and fish it for quite a while before moving on??

Bhflyfisher
05-27-2012, 05:00 PM
On this creek, you should always be approaching your fish from a downstream position. Making very slow/soft movements if possible. You need to be casting directly upstream so that you dont spook the fish.

Right now, with the fish actively feeding, spending time at every undercut bank, riffle, pool is what you should be doing, if they aren't rising, drift a prince nymph/copper john under an indicator through the middle of the creek. But be quiet and move carefully. Try to limit your false casts. Cover water/ground, but at the same time, dont rush anything. No quick movements, and try to use the willows/bushes as cover.

It takes some patience, but you will get rewarded.

TheYoungFlyFisherman
05-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the reply. I hope to get out next weekend.

TheYoungFlyFisherman
05-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Broke the hand yesterday. Hmm so much for the fishing trips in the next while. How disappointing =\

WillyOneStyle
05-31-2012, 08:43 PM
try unloading a regular old spin cast rod out of trunk of your car and tossing a five of diamonds under the 761 bridge. I've never done it, but I watched this other guy land a really nice trout that way on his first cast. He probably didn't have as much as me though. I got skunked and spent the better part of the day un-tangling and wrestling my nine foot fly rod through the willows. :sHa_sarcasticlol: