PDA

View Full Version : great day at Wizard

Thundercatcher
05-27-2012, 05:17 PM
I hooked into one about 15min and then another awhile later. and I lost 2 all in about an hour from the shore. then I lost my ' go to hook" and things went bad after that so I left! I lost a few hooks and then lost all my line because it wasn''t tied to the spool! LOL

A great day out though. the 2 I caught were too small to keep.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g431/Thundercatcher/1pikea.jpg

reb98
05-29-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm a rookie & plan on going to Wizard this weekend with my daughter. Do you just fish from shore at & around Jubilee Park? Looking online I saw different hotspots around the lake but also that most of the south side is private. Any help/info would be appreciated.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Did you get your reel re spooled . I'd put some 30 lb braid on then use some fluro carbon leader material .

Thundercatcher
05-29-2012, 08:14 PM
no, I didn't re spool it yet. I have never used fluro carbon. what it that? lol.

Alberta Bigbore
05-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Its the stuff dreams are made of.

Congrats on hooking up!

05-29-2012, 09:58 PM
no, I didn't re spool it yet. I have never used fluro carbon. what it that? lol.

Here is a few things bout Fluorcarbon . But I wouldn't use it as a main line .its expensive.

Invisibility Under Water - Light goes through fluorocarbon fishing line the same way it goes through water since the refractive index is the same for both. Fish are often line shy, especially in clear water, and invisible line helps overcome this problem. In clear water you are more likely to get bites if you are using fluorocarbon line.

Density - Fluorocarbon line sinks in water so it helps get your bait down more quickly. That is positive when using a bottom bumping lure like a jig or worm.

Lack of Stretch - Most monofilament lines stretch but fluorocarbon does not stretch much. So, on long casts it makes your hook set more effective. It also helps with your “feel” of the cover when fishing jigs and plastic worms.

Abrasion Resistance - Fluorocarbon lines are more abrasion resistant, meaning you can rub them on rocks or wood cover without making them as much weaker as you would with traditional monofilament line.

Thundercatcher
05-29-2012, 10:15 PM
so do they sell fluorocarbon leaders at fishing stores? and 30lb braid would that be harder to cast further?

05-29-2012, 10:23 PM
so do they sell fluorocarbon leaders at fishing stores? and 30lb braid would that be harder to cast further?

This be the stuff here .

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/line/fluorocarbon/vanish-leader-material cant find it on fishin hole page .

05-29-2012, 10:25 PM

It's just the leader instead of using a wire one .

And use braided line as a backing and main line .

Thundercatcher
05-29-2012, 10:42 PM
ok, got it

05-29-2012, 10:45 PM
ok, got it

Not sure which fishing store your closest to . Get them to spool your spool with bulk braided line like a 15 or 20 lb that should stop the snags . I'm running 50 lb suffex 832 on my pike set ups but I'm also chucking 2 oz swim baits in thick weeds .

npauls
05-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Why would he need such heavy line John? If you are running a braided line with a leader and have your drag set up properly you should be able to get away with 10-15 lbs braid. This will increase casting distance and allow way more line on your reel.

I don't get why people way over line their gear. The fish we have in our freshwater systems in Canada aren't going to break off normally if you have your gear set up properly.

Thundercatcher
05-29-2012, 10:54 PM
I am close to the fishinhole west ed mall. how does the braid prevent snags

Lefty-Canuck
05-29-2012, 10:56 PM
I am close to the fishinhole west ed mall. how does the braid prevent snags

It doesn't but due to the line strength you can "muscle" your line out many times before it will break due to the higher poundage rating....

LC

05-29-2012, 11:38 PM
Why would he need such heavy line John? If you are running a braided line with a leader and have your drag set up properly you should be able to get away with 10-15 lbs braid. This will increase casting distance and allow way more line on your reel.

I don't get why people way over line their gear. The fish we have in our freshwater systems in Canada aren't going to break off normally if you have your gear set up properly.
Nathan I do this because I'm rocking musky gear . 7.5 ft musky rod with quantum iron reel. I'm not chucking my 2 oz baits into the outskirts of weeds pretty much to the bank and back to the boat . I don't think I loose any length to my cast .

I like a real beefy setup for pike and river fishing not everyone agrees with it but works good for me .

It doesn't but due to the line strength you can "muscle" your line out many times before it will break due to the higher poundage rating....

LC
Exactly .X2

JohninAB
05-30-2012, 05:33 AM
I run heavy poundage line too on a heavy 8 foot St Croix musky rod. Allows you to get the fish to the boat quick and release a fish that is not played out from a long drawn out battle due to having to finesse the fish in with lighter poundage line. Also, you catch a big ole pike using say a topwater lure over a weedbed and then they go down into the weeds and wrap up in them you will be happy you have high poundage line and a rod with some backbone.

As for casting distance, I notice very little difference.

FishingFrenzy
05-30-2012, 08:50 AM
I run suffix 832 30lb test on my pike/NSR fishing setup. Sometimes i use a fluro leader but most of the time I tie straight on and still catch everything from pike to goldeye. The only reason i use such heavy line is so that I can get through all the snags in the river,without losing many lures. Since I started using 832 I have only broke off one lure, due to knot failure.

tonypower
05-30-2012, 09:37 AM
So I bought a new set up for the river a couple months ago . What is the best way to tie the leader to the main line? The line has a wax coating I think so I am having a bit of an issue with the knots :angry3:

JohninAB
05-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Palomar knot. Quick and easy and probably the strongest knot out there. And for extra security, can place a dab of Krazy Glue on the knot if so inclined.

dwedmon
05-30-2012, 10:34 AM
You can also try a surgeon's loop at the end of the main line and at the end of the leader. You then do a loop to loop connection and that lets you change to different leaders without needing to retie.

05-30-2012, 12:13 PM
So I bought a new set up for the river a couple months ago . What is the best way to tie the leader to the main line? The line has a wax coating I think so I am having a bit of an issue with the knots :angry3:

I use a blood knot , Thats a very strong knot connecting the two lines together . Or you can tie two uni knots and sinch the lines together then trim off the tag ends .

Or you can buy some crimp sleeves , and put a swivel on and tie it to your main line .

I use straight line and have a snap on so I can easily change lures , or sometimes when trolling I directly tie the lure to my leader material . It takes some patients and practice to tie that thick stuff but it can be done easily enough .

Tony if youd like give me a call , I can show you . Meet you down at that place we meet last year or something .

Thundercatcher
06-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Can you just use a regular steel leader? I thought pike are not afraid of leaders

steve
06-03-2012, 08:30 AM
I dont know how fish were caught before fluoro?

Shore fishing for hammer handles, chucking 1/8 to1/2oz stuff?

8lb mono and 8'' leader is ideal.

Geezle
06-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Can you just use a regular steel leader? I thought pike are not afraid of leaders

Yes, you can absolutely use steel leaders. Steel vs. fluorocarbon is really just a preference thing...both will do the job.

I don't like the steel leaders because they'll often get kinked up after a fish or two and then they need to be replaced. Fluorocarbon will not kink, though you do have to check it for nicks/cuts from teeth.

If you want to get real fancy, you can also get titanium leaders. They're more expensive (about $6 for one if I remember correctly) but they don't kink like steel leaders do.

As for line, on my pike gear I run 30lb braid. Tough enough to stand up to pretty much any fish I'm likely to get on it, and it won't break off if I snag on a rock, or a pike decides to nose dive into the weeds.

Kim473
06-03-2012, 09:08 AM
I love the vanish. 8lb (gold), just respooled two reels. Set the drag right and your good to go. 8lb with the drag set right should be able to pull a 20 lb fish in. I don't see to many pike over 10lbs at the lakes I go to. I don't use leaders, but then again i'm ok with losing a few hooks to pike teeth. If I do go to a lake and the pike are bitting thru my line every time, I will put a leader on. 4 to 6 lb on the hard water.

06-03-2012, 01:57 PM
As for line, on my pike gear I run 30lb braid. Tough enough to stand up to pretty much any fish I'm likely to get on it, and it won't break off if I snag on a rock, or a pike decides to nose dive into the weeds.
I know what your saying , 30 lb is probably over kill for any fish in this country . But when you wanna cast into the weed beds , and into the lillys for some big mommas you want heavy line that will cut threw them weeds and lillys . We will have to get out to one of my go to Pike lakes , one I dont think you have been to and we sight fish Pike in the shallows . Have to make sure Trolling motor battery is well charged for that day .

I love the vanish. 8lb (gold), just respooled two reels. Set the drag right and your good to go. 8lb with the drag set right should be able to pull a 20 lb fish in. I don't see to many pike over 10lbs at the lakes I go to. I don't use leaders, but then again i'm ok with losing a few hooks to pike teeth. If I do go to a lake and the pike are bitting thru my line every time, I will put a leader on. 4 to 6 lb on the hard water.

As ive said above , sure light line will work when your fishing wide open water , but when you want to cast into the weed beds , and lillys and bullrushes , you want something heavy . I dont wanna break off every cast .