PDA

View Full Version : What rain suit to look at getting?

npauls
05-27-2012, 06:14 PM
I am looking into getting a really good rain suit but am not to sure which one to look into the most.

I am kind of thinking:

Bass pro 100mph suit

Cabelas guide wear

Frabil storm suit or whatever the Frabil rain gear.

I will look into others that are suggested.

the local angler
05-27-2012, 06:26 PM
my choice is at walmart, the ones by coleman is great i bought the full jacket and pants and is kinda pricey but for me it was well worth it. the second one i bought is helly hanson which is also a two piece jacket and pants. the coleman is about $40 ish each so slightly under $100 for a full suit and the helly hansen i bought at wholesales sports which was about the same i think $40 or $50 each i think. i grew tired of buying the cheap stuff and rip when you go to use it, the coleman suit i bought like 7 ish years ago and still have it till this day and bought another one but one size larger so i can layer up underneath for warmth, the helly hanson i have had about a year and half and works great but favor the coleman one i find much more comfortable. coleman makes great stoves and rain gear too. lol

ReconWilly
05-27-2012, 07:26 PM
If you want something nice AND durable check out the simms website, full of top notch gear, its pricey but is well worth the $, comfortable, durable and completely backed by the company who sells it, just got a pleasent email from them stating all of the above in reguards to my simms gear that i've aquired over the years.

chubbdarter
05-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Go a different direction Npauls.....look at Klim uninsulated. You'll never look back

npauls
05-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Go a different direction Npauls.....look at Klim uninsulated. You'll never look back

hmm never heard of it but will do some investigating over the next few days. As long as it keeps me dry and lasts for a few years I will be happy.

I can order whatever suit a bit bigger to layer up on the cold days like today. I froze really bad today because my suit didn't repel water at all and soaked me to the skin.

Rascal4now
05-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Not sure if it's okay that i post this here but I have a Rhino two piece rain suit that is what I would call a mans small? It's huge on me. I'm 5'2". Anyway, I bought it for motorcycling. Used it twice.

npauls
05-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Not sure if it's okay that i post this here but I have a Rhino two piece rain suit that is what I would call a mans small? It's huge on me. I'm 5'2". Anyway, I bought it for motorcycling. Used it twice.

Ya that probably wouldn't fit me. I am 6 feet tall and about 230 lbs.

What types of things should I be looking for in rain gear? Like what makes certain suits better or worse then other?

chubbdarter
05-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Ya that probably wouldn't fit me. I am 6 feet tall and about 230 lbs.

What types of things should I be looking for in rain gear? Like what makes certain suits better or worse then other?

gortex or military fabric shield gaurd......full gasket zippers and blind venting

taped seams

npauls
05-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Oh ok.

I have been looking around online at different suits and found german military gore tex pants with suspenders and jackets. I was thinking it would be a good suit since it is actually german military gear but wasn't 100% sure on it. The only thing I am worried about now with that set up is that it is pants with suspenders and not bibs. I may have to just pick up the jacket and look for a set of bibs somewhere else.

Does nylon make a good suit or would I want to stay away from those types of materials?

Kokanee9
05-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Have a look at the HH raingear at work wearhouse. Stretchable and most guys at work use it.

They have a 20% off everything in the store every so often. Thats the time to pick it up.

chubbdarter
05-27-2012, 10:31 PM
I tryed on the new Rapala rain gear that will released soon its pretty nice gear. But i havent worn it in the rain or wind. All the vitals are built into it though.

npauls
05-27-2012, 10:45 PM
I tryed on the new Rapala rain gear that will released soon its pretty nice gear. But i havent worn it in the rain or wind. All the vitals are built into it though.

hmm that sounds interesting.

Do you know by chance when they will be released? I am hoping to have a set of rain gear in the next couple weeks.

pikergolf
05-27-2012, 10:48 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search/?N=&Ntk=BargainCave&Ntt=rain+gear&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&form_state=searchForm&isLiberal=N&search=rain+gear&searchTypeByFilter=AllProducts&x=14&y=11

Wes_G
05-27-2012, 11:11 PM
After my first year of guiding I promised myself that I would never use the cheap crappy 20 buck yellow banana rain suits again. Second year I used an old North Face gore tex shell along with gore tex pants. The lesson I learned that year was that while sitting in a boat, you better make sure that the crotch ripper is either water proof or non existant as every time it rained and the water dripped down and pooled there, it was really cold when it started leaking through the zipper. Third year, the gore tex jacket stayed but I went to a set of heavy duty rubber Viking rain pants. They held up great for the rest of that year as well as my forth year and are what I have still used for the last 3 years when I have been out to Ontario. The pants dont breathe so after all day on the water you are usually a little damp from perspiration, but at least for the most part I am still dry. Still no complaints about the jacket either. I mean its old now and pretty much all the DWR is gone so the outer fabric absorbs water, but still bone dry on the inside after a day of fishing and not to mention boat driving in torrential downpours.

badger
05-27-2012, 11:24 PM
The cheapest and best rain bibs I have are old stocking foot breathable waders with the feet cut off. I wear through the knees of my waders in 4 or 5 years (200 days), and fix the leak with marine Goop. Leave the gravel guard in place and then you have a hook to keep them over the boot tops. Since they are not submerged, you don't even notice the leak when it is raining. For the jacket I use either a Goretex fishing jacket or a longer length hiking jacket. Best of all you know the pants will fit and are basically free.

billie
05-28-2012, 12:10 AM
I wear my breathable waders and a camo wind/waterproof bomber with a hood and layers underneath as needed. The waders are obviously dual purpose and so is my jacket (hunting). Works for me.

TROLLER
05-28-2012, 06:04 PM

I have a Rapala 2 pc and it keeps me dry but if I was fishn a tourny like the ones last year and at Chin I would go with Gortex plain and simple.

Didn't gramps have one listed on the big board a while back> thinkin it was the bass pro one.

npauls
05-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Ya he sold it and I thought I wouldn't need it because the suit I have is suppose to be waterproof but I was soaked in it on Sunday at chin.

I looked into the german military gore tex suit I seen online and I think I may try it out. The one thing I am iffy on is that it is suspender pants and not a full set of bibs for the bottoms. I guess if I don't like the pants I can always track down some bibs for it. It is just far to good of a deal to pass up for gore tex gear.

hightower
05-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Hey Nate those 100mph suits are pretty nice, I have a couple buddies that have them and they like them. Buy that klim stuff chubdarter mentioned is insane. My buddy have a snowmobile suite from them and it crazy nice. Id get a good shell and just layer properly depending on the season and u will be good to go for any situation..

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-28-2012, 10:46 PM
You see alot of American tournament guys and some of the big walleye guys rocking the cabelas suits . If they built them to fit my large ass I'd buy one . Instead I got a pair of flease lined track pants and layered it in that tent water proofing same with my leaking gortex camo suit as the pants use to leak but would be no good for in the boat . You've seen the coat .

npauls
05-28-2012, 10:59 PM
You see alot of American tournament guys and some of the big walleye guys rocking the cabelas suits . If they built them to fit my large ass I'd buy one . Instead I got a pair of flease lined track pants and layered it in that tent water proofing same with my leaking gortex camo suit as the pants use to leak but would be no good for in the boat . You've seen the coat .

Maybe BBJ tackle and fishing adventures should get some sick rain suits made up for their tourney fishing team members. :thinking-006: :scared0018:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Maybe BBJ tackle and fishing adventures should get some sick rain suits made up for their tourney fishing team members. :thinking-006: :scared0018:
I've been looking infact, especially if I sponcer a team for next year .

chubbdarter
05-28-2012, 11:12 PM
I've been looking infact, especially if I sponcer a team for next year .

wear a thong and grease yourselfs up with vasiline....stay dry all day long

npauls
05-28-2012, 11:15 PM
wear a thong and grease yourselfs up with vasiline....stay dry all day long

:sHa_sarcasticlol: