PDA

View Full Version : horrible HORRIBLE luck.

Andrew
05-27-2012, 09:17 PM
take fly fishing lessons today. instantly fall in love with it. finish and want to head out as try some fishing ASAP. get down to the pond, realize the end of my new rod i got for my last birthday got crushed in the door of my car. the one year warranty is expired.

two questions:

1) would i be able to just get a new top piece through redington?

2) if not, anybody know a good rod for under 200 bucks...

Thanks for any help.

prosnowsk8er
05-27-2012, 09:26 PM
sorry to hear about your luck..
i'm not sure if redington will replace it,

but if you want a nice rod with an amazing 30 dollar no fault replacement buy a TFO, I somehow broke a guide off mine and it was as easy as walking in the door to there shop and showing them the rod so they could match up a new peice.

Cheers

Doc
05-27-2012, 09:26 PM
take fly fishing lessons today. instantly fall in love with it. finish and want to head out as try some fishing ASAP. get down to the pond, realize the end of my new rod i got for my last birthday got crushed in the door of my car. the one year warranty is expired.

two questions:

Thanks for any help.

How much tip section did you loose? If not to much, you can fix it, it'll just be a little shorter.

Andrew
05-27-2012, 09:31 PM
How much tip section did you loose? If not to much, you can fix it, it'll just be a little shorter.

i lost a good 3-4 inches... i dont think theres any going back...

doublehaul
05-27-2012, 09:41 PM
I did the same thing and took mine to the Reel Doctor. I had him put a new end guide on and remove the next closest guide and my rod still works very well

hal53
05-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Any fly shop will repair that....

Andrew
05-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Any fly shop will repair that....

even if its snapped all the way down to the next eyelet?

Kingfisher
05-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Got this right from the Redington site.

Redington Warranty
Redington stands behind the products we make and your satisfaction is important to us. Redington designs gear that performs and gets the most out of your time in the outdoors.
We understand the importance of quality gear and you deserve products that perform. If you are not satisfied with any Redington product, you may return the product in accordance with Redington's warranty policy.

Disclaimer of Warranties and Limitations on Liability

ROD WARRANTY

Every new Redington rod purchased through an authorized retailer, with the exception of the Crosswater Series and Minnow Outfit, is covered by our lifetime, original owner warranty. The Crosswater and Minnow are covered by a one-year warranty against defects in materials or workmanship and must include a dated proof of purchase. This warranty is limited to repair or replacement of the rod only, and does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from the use of the product. This warranty does not cover misuse, neglect, normal wear, fire, theft, loss, or intentional damage. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary from state to state. Redington reserves the right to determine whether to repair or replace any Redington Product covered by this warranty and the right to replace any discontinued models with the newer models when necessary. Colors may vary between original and replacement parts. In order to invoke this warranty, the original owner must send the entire Redington product, including broken parts or pieces, freight paid and insured to the Bainbridge Island address listed below. To service your Redington product, you must fill out the Warranty Service Form. Please follow the instructions stated below and be sure to include this form in the package. Thank you!

Warranty Service formhttp://www.redington.com/skin/summit/pdf/Warranty%20Service%20Form2012.pdf

You can email them directly at warranty@redington.com

Or call them at 1-855-378-9420

Rob

hal53
05-27-2012, 09:54 PM
even if its snapped all the way down to the next eyelet?
yup...it can be repaired...might not be the exact length...but they can make it work....

Andrew
05-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Mine is the crosswater outfit, and i recieved it over a year ago as a birthday gift.

Kingfisher
05-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Looks like their Crosswater is only guaranteed for one year. But they may replace it for a price. Better to check first before doing a repair.

Rob

Andrew
05-27-2012, 09:58 PM
yup...it can be repaired...might not be the exact length...but they can make it work....

hmm, ill definitley have to get them to check it out then. thanks alot Hal53, youve been a great help and possibly saved me a hundred bucks or so.

Heavy K
05-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Talk to Redington first. Sometimes rod companies will help you out in the name of customer service. They see it as keeping (or making) a new, faithful customer. I've sent rods back that I've stepped on, had no receipt, and owned for over 5 years. And we're not talking really expensive rods either. Each time they tell me to send it in and they'll see what they can do, suggesting they'll probably pro-rate on a new rod. Each time a brand new rod has shown up at my door at no cost. Redington also might have tip sections they'll send you at next to no cost. Otherwise just get it fixed as mentioned above.
HK

Guitarplayingfish
05-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Unfortunately I think your out of luck... I had the same thing happen with my rod, same company... They WOULD NOT REPLACE THE TIP... Said if the 1 year warranty is up you have to replace the entire rod.. Pretty stupid actually. I've got 3/4 of a 4weight sitting around now that I don't want to just toss out.. They won't do a thing about it. I just said to heck with it and got myself a 3 weight, different company.. Still rocking the amundson 5 weight too which I have had for about 5-7 years - Gone through 4 tips, all @25$ a new top section.

I will definately be avoiding Redington from now on.. TFO is probably your best option.

Calgaryguy1977
05-28-2012, 08:40 AM
if you pick up a new one then consider temple fork outfitters....they are priced pretty low and they have a life time warranty and the parts can be replaced in calgary for about 30 bucks

Shawnlh
05-28-2012, 08:41 AM
After you get a new rod get one of these............

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_319052_imageset_01?hei=380&wid=380

mikeym
05-28-2012, 08:45 AM
check the Redington website to see if they offer replacement tips.

lost the tip section on my St Croix rod, thought i was hooped. went to the website and they offered replacement tip sections for $30 including shipping to my door. had my replacement tip section within 2 weeks from St Croix. for comparison i broke my rod tip on my first St Croix rod under warranty. they replaced the rod tip no problem but cost $25 in shipping charges to send the old one back for waranty evaluation. pretty well a wash in my book.

check them out, bet they offer the same thing.

rgds
Mike

Gus
05-28-2012, 09:17 AM
if you pick up a new one then consider temple fork outfitters....they are priced pretty low and they have a life time warranty and the parts can be replaced in calgary for about 30 bucks

x2 on that. I pick mine up as BPS for 200 after hearing some guys stories of crazy stupid things they have done to their rods and TFO still honoring the warranty.

Okotokian
05-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Or a Sage.

If you have to buy a new one, check the warranty first. Good luck.

Guitarplayingfish
05-28-2012, 10:17 AM
check the Redington website to see if they offer replacement tips.

lost the tip section on my St Croix rod, thought i was hooped. went to the website and they offered replacement tip sections for $30 including shipping to my door. had my replacement tip section within 2 weeks from St Croix. for comparison i broke my rod tip on my first St Croix rod under warranty. they replaced the rod tip no problem but cost $25 in shipping charges to send the old one back for waranty evaluation. pretty well a wash in my book.

check them out, bet they offer the same thing.

rgds
Mike

Like I just stated, They do not offer replacement tips for the crosswater rods... Pretty frustrating to deal with a company who doesn't help their customers out. Needless to say, Redington will never recieve my business again.

DiabeticKripple
05-28-2012, 10:20 AM
i broke about 2 inches off of my rod, thinking of just cutting the ragged end off to make it a clean cut (only take a few mm off) and then buying a tip and epoxying it on. sound good?

i epoxied a tip on my spinning rod a few years ago and its still holding strong

Heron
05-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Ya just see if the same tip will fit on what is now the end of the rod. If not
Many fly shops will have a new tip top. Two of my rods are now custom shortened. It's no big deal unless you want to sell it. Keep it and make your next rod a different weight for your collection. My brother broke a tip on the 4 piece rod I assembled for him and the replacement tip was only $18. I had to redo the guides but it's not that hard.

Andrew
05-28-2012, 07:19 PM
ill probably be getting myself a TFO rod and just keep the reel.

Thanks for all the tips and help!

tara_13
05-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Happens to the best of us.. :(

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-28-2012, 10:18 PM

two questions:

Thanks for any help.

Hey Andrew where you from send me am .

Pikebreath
05-29-2012, 07:43 AM
As mentioned by several, the rod tip can be repaired. Not that hard to do it yourself if money and time is the issue, simply square off the broken section,,,,, score the blank first by rolling it with an ultra sharp utility knife and then snap it off. Go to a place like the Fishin Hole and they can find a tiptop to fit and simply glue it on with super glue or a hot melt rod glue.

The action of the rod will likely be changed at a bit (become a stiffer action) but you are fishing right away for under $5.