PDA

View Full Version : How many have to die before we wear lifejackets?

timsesink
05-28-2012, 01:49 PM
In the past 2 weeks over 5 people have died in Alberta lakes and many, many have been very very close, all not wearing lifejackets. :sign0176:I wonder what needs to happen before we start wearing our lifejackets, especially in smaller boats, and in canoes.

Donkey Oatey
05-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Hope never really. Only ever wore a life jacket in small (canoe size) boats and if the water was rough or dark and if we were skiing or out on the PWC.

Other than that the jackets are stored up under the seats in the front lockers.

Drewski Canuck
05-28-2012, 01:52 PM
What can I say? If you are out on the water and the water is cold, and you know it will be cold if you fall in, what part about drowning don't you get? Fact is cold water or warm, good weather or bad, wear the damn thing.

Pointing out the darwin candidates for this year makes no difference when we all know better.

Drewski

fish gunner
05-28-2012, 02:11 PM
I have many years of experience on the water salt and fresh. I cannot wrap my head around the total lack of respect for the dangers of water I see on albertas water ways. sure the local slough in august is relatively safe for water sports(waste of many good lakes). if I am not mistaken we had ice on most lakes 45 days ago. murphy and darwin love this time of year. TEACH YOUR CHILDREN,WATER KILLS STUPID PEOPLE. water is not a playground as it seems to be treated here. education not legislation. please, wear your life jacket your life may depend on it.

nekred
05-28-2012, 02:17 PM
I bring up the same thing many times... was out on Wabamun myself on Saturday and was wondering why the helicopter was doing circuits....

Stupid is as Stupid DIES

I will probably get some backlash for speaking the truth.... because it will hurt somebodies feelings....

Unfortunately will probably not be last water related tragedy of the summer.

the two who were wearing lifejackets on wabamun....are alive...nuff said...

Oh well.... I guess, "he died doing what he loved...."

It always surprises me how many people "love" trying to breathe water....

Albertadiver
05-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Being a diver, and a good swimmer, I don't kid myself that water can kill. Especially cold water like now.

Freezing cold water, combined with a wipe-out on a tube means he probably took in a huge gulp of water when he went under and that would be all she wrote.

The guy in Wabamen was just plain dumb. He died for his mistake sadly.

Okotokian
05-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Kids need protection and I'm OK with legislation for them. But I really don't care or have any sympathy if an adult kills themselves via drowning while not wearing a life jacket, avalanche while high-lining, smoking, or any other self-inflicted death a person could reasonably have foreseen. YOu want to go boating with the jackets tucked away and inaccessible? That's cool.

BeeGuy
05-28-2012, 02:34 PM
How many of these incidents involved alcohol?

Transport Canada suggests that 60% of boating deaths in Alberta involve alcohol.

fish gunner
05-28-2012, 02:37 PM
the sad fact I encounter most. trying to inform folks what they are doing is dangerous often results in rude replys. I feel for the folks that lose loved one. my daughter is banned from water sports. fish, sail,canoe all she wants. tubing ,wake boarding ,wake surfing I will tan her hide.

Donkey Oatey
05-28-2012, 02:41 PM
the sad fact I encounter most. trying to inform folks what they are doing is dangerous often results in rude replys. I feel for the folks that lose loved one. my daughter is banned from water sports. fish, sail,canoe all she wants. tubing ,wake boarding ,wake surfing I will tan her hide.

Guess its a case of keep your nose out of other people's business. I should be able to determine when I should wear a lifejacket or not. I should be given that choice. Nothing needs to be legislated.

As for keeping your kids away from water sports that is up to you. Me I just supervise my kids instead of banning all water activity.

fish gunner
05-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Guess its a case of keep your nose out of other people's business. I should be able to determine when I should wear a lifejacket or not. I should be given that choice. Nothing needs to be legislated.

As for keeping your kids away from water sports that is up to you. Me I just supervise my kids instead of banning all water activity.

you do as you wish, I dont know you. I have been on the water since I was 4 years old. big water that kills every time you make a mistake. can you even fathom one wave large enough to cover all of sylvan, gull, dickson. just one wave. you play with your toys. my family will learn to respect water and other water users, learn to use water as it has for hundreds of years. when common sense was common.

Donkey Oatey
05-28-2012, 03:10 PM
you do as you wish, I dont know you. I have been on the water since I was 4 years old. big water that kills every time you make a mistake. can you even fathom one wave large enough to cover all of sylvan, gull, dickson. just one wave. you play with your toys. my family will learn to respect water and other water users, learn to use water as it has for hundreds of years. when common sense was common.

You got something right you don't know me. I have been on the water all my life, so has my wife. She was also a life guard. We know how deadly water can be. I am also certified as a rough water and night rescue with small vessels as well as a recreational open water diver.

Never ever did I say that I didn't respect water, just wish others would keep their nose out of mine and others business, hence the rude replies you get when yapping about dangers and life jackets.

We have given up enough of our personal choices to big brother government over the years and I fear this will be something that will be legislated as well. I should be choose for me, not some bureaucrat. Just what we need is another save ourselves from ourselves law. Bleh.

TJG
05-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Education, not just water safety.

In the past 2 weeks over 5 people have died in Alberta lakes and many, many have been very very close, all not wearing lifejackets. :sign0176:I wonder what needs to happen before we start wearing our lifejackets, especially in smaller boats, and in canoes.

fish gunner
05-28-2012, 03:24 PM
You got something right you don't know me. I have been on the water all my life, so has my wife. She was also a life guard. We know how deadly water can be. I am also certified as a rough water and night rescue with small vessels as well as a recreational open water diver.

Never ever did I say that I didn't respect water, just wish others would keep their nose out of mine and others business, hence the rude replies you get when yapping about dangers and life jackets.

We have given up enough of our personal choices to big brother government over the years and I fear this will be something that will be legislated as well. I should be choose for me, not some bureaucrat. Just what we need is another save ourselves from ourselves law. Bleh.

the sillyness of the web. I totally agree with you. education not legislation. your qualifications indicate your family should be well prepared should a misshap occur. most in this part of the world are not. what I find puzzling you seem to be ok with using your qualifacations lots. I prefer intervention to salvage.

huntsfurfish
05-28-2012, 03:32 PM

Transport Canada suggests that 60% of boating deaths in Alberta involve alcohol.

No disrespect to family or friends, but I also wonder.

Ken07AOVette
05-28-2012, 03:39 PM
When the water is 'warm' and it is a nice summer day in Alberta, I still take a while getting in, don't like cold water.
I was in the water for maybe 90 seconds yesterday, up to my neck trying to get the plug in my boat. This was not something I looked forward to, but I had a moment to build myself up to the shock, and kept my head above water.
I could see someone falling into this bloody cold water in immediate cardiac and respiratory duress if they fell off a tube or out of a boat especially at speed.
Not wearing a life jacket while boating in waters this cold is akin to suicide if you ask me.

Stupid loss.

catnthehat
05-28-2012, 03:42 PM
The amount of time and money spent looking for the bodies of people wh were not wearing life jackets is outrageous.
Even a sytrong swimmer cannot do anythig if they are knowck out if they fall pverbpard, and the effects of cold water, rains suits, and other clothes never weighs in the favor of the person, for sure.
i have been on several recoveires, all of wich invlved the people not wearing PFD's.

Cat

timsesink
05-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Many boats I have been on have the life jackets stored somewhere if in case something happened would be for all intents and purposes impossible to retrieve in a mishap. In my opinion PFD's should be mandatory for any water sport, smaller powered watercraft (anything under 20"ish) and self propelled watercraft and EASILY accessible on everything else, (ex. oh crap bad weather, steer with one hand reach out and grab pfd with other hand and place on).

Just sad really all these people needlessly passing away, leaving grieving family members for the sake of wanting to be "cool" and unrestricted in movement.

Lefty-Canuck
05-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Was just having this conversation with a buddy about how many people have drowned in Alberta alone this season....maybe if you don't want to wear your life jacket in the boat it is a good idea to have a tether or an "idiot string" attaching the jacket to you incase you fall over....:)

LC

Bigdad013
05-28-2012, 03:57 PM

I'm a little confused by your statement. you stated you have been on the water for years and love it, yet you ban your daughter from any water activities? Maybe I am misreading this or not understanding your statement.

Guitarplayingfish
05-28-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm a little confused by your statement. you stated you have been on the water for years and love it, yet you ban your daughter from any water activities? Maybe I am misreading this or not understanding your statement.

He said she can fish, sail and canoe all she wants, but she can not tube, waterski, etc.

As for the Lifejackets... Yes, kids should be required to wear them.. They need to be taught proper etiquette if they plan on spending time on the water. As for adults it should be our discretion. Like stated earlier, I feel no sympathy for people who are asking to be removed from the gene pool. In most cases, if you are an adult you SHOULD have some common sense.. if you refuse to follow it than prepare to reap the consequences..

Legislation is not required IMO

Unfortunately it is the family and friends who truelly suffer.. This is something that should run through each and every persons head before they get into a boat - If you refuse to wear the jacket for you, wear it for the people who care about you.

fish gunner
05-28-2012, 04:14 PM
sorry, my kid can respecfuly use the water all she wants. fish, sail,canoe.kayak. and water ski on a closed course. powered stupidity ,jet skis, tubing,wake boarding, wake surfing. not gona happen. the kid can pass her life guard course. however she needs to be sixteen to qualify.

Bigdad013
05-28-2012, 04:22 PM
sorry, my kid can respecfuly use the water all she wants. fish, sail,canoe.kayak. and water ski on a closed course. powered stupidity ,jet skis, tubing,wake boarding, wake surfing. not gona happen. the kid can pass her life guard course. however she needs to be sixteen to qualify.

Thanks for clarifying, that makes alot more sense now.

Bigdad013
05-28-2012, 04:25 PM
I think the most powerful commercial I ever saw was the 2 small kids sitting alone in a boat floating in the middle of the lake wearing life jackets, but dad was no where to be seen.........

nekred
05-28-2012, 04:45 PM
I think the most powerful commercial I ever saw was the 2 small kids sitting alone in a boat floating in the middle of the lake wearing life jackets, but dad was no where to be seen.........

Awesome... just thinking about that tugs the 'ol heartstrings....

I am sure that theose kids would remember that fishing trip....

It is true that many drownings are alsp alcohol related...even those on guys found with thei fly open because they were returning rented alcohol....

Deano85
05-28-2012, 04:53 PM
There are still tons of people who dont even wear their seatbelts. Smart people will wear their life jackets, most will not. I dont see it changing.

Easywean
05-28-2012, 06:12 PM

Sorry, I have to chime in on this one. Your chances of drowning are 100% less when you wear a life jacket. It has nothing to do with bureaucracy or big brother.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-28-2012, 09:53 PM
This is what fueled my post and poll on wearing life jackets . Perhaps this will open people's eyes a little bit . I know I will be ensuring everyone in my boat wears one , sooner be alive than looking good and comfortable .

pelada trochu
05-29-2012, 12:21 AM
Kids need protection and I'm OK with legislation for them. But I really don't care or have any sympathy if an adult kills themselves via drowning while not wearing a life jacket, avalanche while high-lining, smoking, or any other self-inflicted death a person could reasonably have foreseen. YOu want to go boating with the jackets tucked away and inaccessible? That's cool.

I think personal freedom is okay.

Unfortunately drowning is not a learn from Your mistake kind of thing. so I'm sorry for anyone's loss. Wearing a life jacket makes sense. Especially when the water will kill u in a few minutes. People should jump in in the early spring and lAte fall For the reminder. I'm still never going to vote for a mandatory law on life jackets. Might as well ban motorcycles too then. Wanna ban something how about parents smoking in their cars with the kids

But there are just too many people out there With the oops oh well kind of attitude. I'm getting tired of irresponsible people it's your responsibility. When u screw up that makes u a dumb zss. Referring to people killing sturgeon for the eggs. Fishing in closed areas. Poaching just a few walleye etc.

BGSH
05-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Wabamun lake is a huge lake for Alberta, hope they find the mans body for family closure, i hear wabamun has a strong under current so i hope they find the man soon, wear your life jackets, simple as that.

catnthehat
05-29-2012, 06:45 AM
Sorry, I have to chime in on this one. Your chances of drowning are 100% less when you wear a life jacket. It has nothing to do with bureaucracy or big brother.
X2!
I watched a spotter get popped out of a mastercraft ski boat in the fall, and hit a ski that was dropped earlier, knocked him out cold with lots of head damage.
Without his jacket he would be dead, I'm sure.

Anyone gets onto my boat gets a jacket, I've hit rocks and logs running shallow that if one wasn't ready would knock you out of the boat, and there is always the chance of hitting submerged logs and things.
Seems to me I saw a video where Glenn Sather left a boat driven by Pockington on the Little Smoky as well.
Cat

Yéil
05-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Had this conversation with my daughter the other day. Both of us have been on SAR missions and we cannot fathom why people insist on getting into a boat and not wearing a life jacket or PFD.

I think what is even worse are the folks who think they have it all covered by having PFD and jackets in their vessel but haven't checked them for buoyancy since God was a nipper. Nor have they checked to see if they jackets and PFDs are buoyancy rated for their current weight.

So here's what happens folks a boat spits out its passengers into the water and 3-4 people are trying to grab for PFDs that are quickly floating away from them. They start pushing the other people out of the way to get to the floating away PFD. If and when they actually can grab it, it's usually not big enough to support their weight and it floats them about 12 inches under water. If they are really lucky and no amount of skill/strength is going to keep them from that blow to the head, cold water immersion, hypothermia is going to help there- they might get the PFD on them and secure enough to keep from being washed off in a wave.

Now imagine that you've pushed your friend, wife, parent out of the way to get to the jacket and PFD because human survival mode is strong and you find out that the PFD won't support your weight or it is an old one and the material is degraded and won't float you or it's an old style where it's not designed to roll you onto your back.

You may live long enough to see my or my daughter's face as we come along side to get you out of the water. Most of time, I'm pulling dead people out.

Now here's the other thing, when you foolishly have placed yourself in the position of not having a life jacket or PFD on you, and I have to come and get you. I have to fight my instincts to put myself in anymore danger so that I can try to get you out alive.

I love my life, I love my family and I want to go home to them at the end of the day. I would have liked to take you home to yours alive instead of being in a body bag. People who think they can get a jacket or PFD on after they enter the water need to know that because they think like that, you are putting my daughter and her team at risk from having to come get you.

I doubt no more than a few people on here have actually practised putting a jacket on in adverse conditions and are relying on what they think they can do in an emergency. If you really are naive enough to believe that you can managed that then at least do some practise and test your devices for buoyancy. I will guarantee you can not get that jacket on in enough time to save yourself and the kids in the boat with you - if you can't get it on within 30 sec after hitting the water - everyone in that boat is at risk of dying or serious injury.

I will guarantee that most on here who have said they tuck their jackets in their boat instead of wearing them, haven't tried them on in years, looked/inspected them or even tested them since they got put in the boat. I will also guarantee that most of the PFD being not used are cheap CTC or Walmart brands that will not support the weight of a heavy adult man or woman. I bet half of these jackets and PFD are too small for the adults they are supposed to save because no one every puts them on to check.

Think of this as well... while you are scrambling to try and get that PFD or jacket on because you are in the water, you are NOT trying to get yourself out of the water. Now, at the end of the day which activity is more likely to keep you alive? In the water or getting as much of yourself out of the water?

This may pee a few people off but I'd like to see legislation that requires those rescued who are not wearing safety equipment or have ignored weather warnings to pay the full cost of the rescue AND if any rescuer is injured or killed trying to save your from your stupidity to have to pay restitution to their family.

nekred
05-29-2012, 08:42 AM
Good Post Yeil

To me wearing a life jacket is common sense.... which usually has to be legislated because of the "It won't happen to me mentality"....

Quick gut check... better to have it and need it than to need it andnot have it.... which is a motto of many on here.

Many young adilts between 18-25 drown. Most of these had to wear a life jacket whenever they were in a boat, but saw many adults not wearing one and decided that they were not needed for adults... so they don't wear one when they are over 18....with tragic results...

My Dad always has had a simple rule. His boat, his rules which include everyone wearing a life jacket. INCLUDING Pets....

He has seen where survival instincts are so strong people have been drowned by their dog, or other people in boat that were not wearing life jacket....

After all one life jacket only has enough buoancy to hold up one person...

Drowning is a horrible way to die... Why do you think waterboarding is such a horrible torture...

Yéil
05-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Good Post Yeil

To me wearing a life jacket is common sense.... which usually has to be legislated because of the "It won't happen to me mentality"....

Quick gut check... better to have it and need it than to need it andnot have it.... which is a motto of many on here.

Many young adilts between 18-25 drown. Most of these had to wear a life jacket whenever they were in a boat, but saw many adults not wearing one and decided that they were not needed for adults... so they don't wear one when they are over 18....with tragic results...

My Dad always has had a simple rule. His boat, his rules which include everyone wearing a life jacket. INCLUDING Pets....

He has seen where survival instincts are so strong people have been drowned by their dog, or other people in boat that were not wearing life jacket....

After all one life jacket only has enough buoancy to hold up one person...

Drowning is a horrible way to die... Why do you think waterboarding is such a horrible torture...

Thanks, I used to teach sea survival and oddly enough, my kid is now teaching it. My favourite part was when I got to throw a person (usually the male with the big mouth and bravado that says he doesn't need a jacket because he's a strong swimmer) into the pool and count the seconds off while he technically drowned and needed someone to go in after him. Once he stopped sputtering and coughing, he realized that if that's how he ended up in a pool, on a Naval base with an entire class and instructors around, he stood ZERO chance out on open water. Didn't get a peep out of those characters after that that they didn't need to wear a jacket etc because they could get the jacket on in a few seconds.

Talk is cheap, grappling hooks pull up dead, drowned bodies.

cube
05-29-2012, 12:21 PM

I think that estimate is a bit high.

According to "The National Drowning Report 2011"

"Why DiD they Drown?...risk Factors"
Boating: The major risk factors cited in fatal boating incidents were: not wearing a PFD/lifejacket (80% of 2005-2007 boating deaths);
cold water (44%); capsizing (40%) and falling
overboard (25%), often in rough water (22%); alcoholic beverage consumption (39%); and
boating alone (30%) versus 70% of boating victims with companion(s) who were unable to
rescue them.

It also said that in "Young men 18-34 years of age: Alcoholic beverage consumption (47%)"

The report did not say specifically how many of the Alberta victims had alcohol in their systems though.

cube
05-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Sorry about that.
found a better one to answer that question
"2011 Drowning & Injury Prevention Profile: Alberta & NWT" (http://www.lifesaving.org/download/LS%20Annual%20Drowing%20Report_2011_Final_web3.pdf )

States

"Alcohol or drugs contributed to 41% of total drowning deaths in Alberta"

Pretty sobering stat. And most of those would still be alive if they had been wearing their PFD.

GoneFishin'
05-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Had this conversation with my daughter the other day. Both of us have been on SAR missions and we cannot fathom why people insist on getting into a boat and not wearing a life jacket or PFD.

I think what is even worse are the folks who think they have it all covered by having PFD and jackets in their vessel but haven't checked them for buoyancy since God was a nipper. Nor have they checked to see if they jackets and PFDs are buoyancy rated for their current weight.

So here's what happens folks a boat spits out its passengers into the water and 3-4 people are trying to grab for PFDs that are quickly floating away from them. They start pushing the other people out of the way to get to the floating away PFD. If and when they actually can grab it, it's usually not big enough to support their weight and it floats them about 12 inches under water. If they are really lucky and no amount of skill/strength is going to keep them from that blow to the head, cold water immersion, hypothermia is going to help there- they might get the PFD on them and secure enough to keep from being washed off in a wave.

Now imagine that you've pushed your friend, wife, parent out of the way to get to the jacket and PFD because human survival mode is strong and you find out that the PFD won't support your weight or it is an old one and the material is degraded and won't float you or it's an old style where it's not designed to roll you onto your back.

You may live long enough to see my or my daughter's face as we come along side to get you out of the water. Most of time, I'm pulling dead people out.

Now here's the other thing, when you foolishly have placed yourself in the position of not having a life jacket or PFD on you, and I have to come and get you. I have to fight my instincts to put myself in anymore danger so that I can try to get you out alive.

I love my life, I love my family and I want to go home to them at the end of the day. I would have liked to take you home to yours alive instead of being in a body bag. People who think they can get a jacket or PFD on after they enter the water need to know that because they think like that, you are putting my daughter and her team at risk from having to come get you.

I doubt no more than a few people on here have actually practised putting a jacket on in adverse conditions and are relying on what they think they can do in an emergency. If you really are naive enough to believe that you can managed that then at least do some practise and test your devices for buoyancy. I will guarantee you can not get that jacket on in enough time to save yourself and the kids in the boat with you - if you can't get it on within 30 sec after hitting the water - everyone in that boat is at risk of dying or serious injury.

I will guarantee that most on here who have said they tuck their jackets in their boat instead of wearing them, haven't tried them on in years, looked/inspected them or even tested them since they got put in the boat. I will also guarantee that most of the PFD being not used are cheap CTC or Walmart brands that will not support the weight of a heavy adult man or woman. I bet half of these jackets and PFD are too small for the adults they are supposed to save because no one every puts them on to check.

Think of this as well... while you are scrambling to try and get that PFD or jacket on because you are in the water, you are NOT trying to get yourself out of the water. Now, at the end of the day which activity is more likely to keep you alive? In the water or getting as much of yourself out of the water?

This may pee a few people off but I'd like to see legislation that requires those rescued who are not wearing safety equipment or have ignored weather warnings to pay the full cost of the rescue AND if any rescuer is injured or killed trying to save your from your stupidity to have to pay restitution to their family.

Excellent post indeed.

It may pee people off, but the truth of the matter is it's reality & some people have a hard time facing the facts when they're put in front of them

timsesink
05-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Excellent post indeed.

It may pee people off, but the truth of the matter is it's reality & some people have a hard time facing the facts when they're put in front of them

x2

Redfrog
05-30-2012, 11:01 AM
"I doubt no more than a few people on here have actually practised putting a jacket on in adverse conditions and are relying on what they think they can do in an emergency. If you really are naive enough to believe that you can managed that then at least do some practise and test your devices for buoyancy. I will guarantee you can not get that jacket on in enough time to save yourself and the kids in the boat with you - if you can't get it on within 30 sec after hitting the water - everyone in that boat is at risk of dying or serious injury. "

Years ago I went fishing with 3 friends. Two canoes on a very quiet pothole lake.

Cloudy and spitting rain in the morning when we went out, so we had rain gear on. In addition my friend had his hip waders on to keep dry.[no rain pants]
We had Life jackets, but weren't wearing them as i had a floater coat and he didn't 'need' one. The lake was very calm and we were enjoying ourselves.
I hooked a trout and as I got it close to the canoe, I told my buddy to check out how big it was. He leaned over and the canoe flipped.

It was a canvas over cedar unit. When it went over we got dunked and when I came up I grabbed a life jacket and the canoe. Buddy came up and went under again. His waders were full of water. I was a few feet away and as I grabbed him by the coat, I pulled him to the canoe and gave him the life jacket I had grabbed. I wasn't worried or excited as I had the canoe right there and the water was dead calm and not very cold. He was panicked because of his waders. He threw the life jacket away and tried to climb onto the overturned canoe.
It rolled like a log. The harder he tried the faster it rolled. I was yelling at him to stop and just hang onto the canoe. We could have easily fixed things if he had done that.
. My floater coat was unzipped and after one quick attempt to zip it, I focused on his problems. The dang floater worked great, but it was bunched up and floating behind my head.He then tried to climb on me. I had to go underwater to get him to let go of me.I pulled the coat over my head to get it in front of me. I couldn't get my arms out of it and it was pushing my face into the water. I managed to get the floater bunched in front of me. Understand we were both good swimmers, but he was in a panic . Our two friends were on their way to help.

I finally pulled him to the gunwale on the canoe and made him simply hold on till he calmed down. I managed get him a jacket, but he wasn't letting go of the canoe to put his on. Our friends came alongside and towed us to shore.
He had managed to kick one wader off and the other was off his leg but still attached to his belt.
Once our friends came along we got the life jackets sorted out and on and tried to 'right' the canoe. No way could we get the canoe right side up with enough water out to allow us to get back aboard.

Two weeks later we took the canoe to a small pond and flipped it. we tried to right it and get back into it. The only way we could do it was to right the canoe and bail the water out with a can tethered to the twart.
We played with the life jackets and floater coats and tried to put them on in the water. They had to be zipped up first and the put on like a sweater over the head. We also found if we kept them tightly bunched in front of us they would keep us a float.

So in a controlled no danger situation we could make things work. In rough water, with injuries, or in a panic, not so much.

One interesting thing was that I ahd a package of party balloons in my floater pocket. we had used these on the lake to see if they would work in a survival situation. attach 6 feet of line with a hook and bait and toss into the lake on the windward side. As we walked the shore looking for places to set snares, the wind 'trolled' the balloon. when a fish took the bait, they could pull the balloon around but not hold it under for any length of time. Fighting the balloon, the fish would tire and the wind would blow him to the leeward side of the lake. By the time we got around the pothole lake, the balloon would be on the shore with a tired fish.

When we were doing our 'practice' I found the pack of balloons and blew one up. If I held it in front of me it easily kept me afloat. I keep a few balloons in my little 'survival ' tin.:)

I try to always wear a PFD. It's just common sense.

nekred
05-30-2012, 11:33 AM
The instinct to avoid drowning is huge in adults and I am glad you shared RF...

I am a very strong swimmer and can resue swim as well but hard to swim when someone else is dragging you under or if you are knocked out.

I wear a PFD always because if me and the kids go in I owe it to them to make sure I can float enough to help them!...

Yéil
05-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Here's some stuff to practise with your safety gear...

On dry land, practise putting on your jacket/PFD in a dark, confined space. Don't cheat, if there's any light, wear a blindfold. Set a time of 20 seconds to find the jacket that has been laid on the floor, get the jacket the right way up to put on and then get it on and secured.

Now once you can do that, take a drink of water and hold it in your mouth while you try and accomplish the above exercise.

Once you can do that, add pinching your nose so you can't breath, water in your mouth and in the dark. If you can do that, then you're in all likelihood quite able to at least get a PFD on if you get tossed in the water without one. Circumstances and level of stressors will dictate your overall response times/abilities.

Try the exercise in a body of water/like a pool - the blindfold is only to help you feel your way rather than relying on sight to help you.

It's around the 20-30 second mark that most folks without a sense of being able to be afloat will start to panic. That is of course, in water that isn't so cold that cold immersion is occurring as well.

Now for those folks that wear waders, if you keep the waders underwater they will weigh the same as the surrounding water. Folks need to practise this so they don't panic when they fall and fill up. For the chest wader crew, best to wear a belt.