PDA

View Full Version : bait fishing for pike

Thundercatcher
05-28-2012, 05:19 PM
How do you bait fish for pike? Do you some kind of leader that you tie the hook on? Would the pike bite through something like a P-rig?

crosbyfan123
05-28-2012, 05:24 PM
The best bait for pike is a treble hook with barbs and fresh sturgeon for bait. :bad_boys_20:

fish gunner
05-28-2012, 05:27 PM
How do you bait fish for pike? Do you some kind of leader that you tie the hook on? Would the pike bite through something like a P-rig?

I tie rigs with 30-50lb florocarbon. If iam targeting pike only I use knotable wire. try to keep the smelt frozzen till you use them. they stay on the hook better when casting. hope that helps.

pickrel pat
05-28-2012, 06:59 PM
they sell "jackfish" rigs. its like a pic rig only steel wire out to the hooks instead of mono. i have bought them before.

Thundercatcher
05-28-2012, 07:16 PM
cool! hopefully at the fishinhole

gl2
05-28-2012, 07:30 PM
i just slip bobber a quick strike rig. but with all the tie able steel leader you shouldn't have a problem making a pickerel rig for pike.

Cal
05-28-2012, 09:50 PM
i just slip bobber a quick strike rig. but with all the tie able steel leader you shouldn't have a problem making a pickerel rig for pike.

X2 a big dead herring under a bobber has probably accounted for more of my realy big pike than anything else. If theres not to much weeds on the bottom a slip sinker or fishfinder rig works well. Caught plenty of pike on standard pickerel rigs too, the cheap mono that they snell the stock hooks with is heavy enough and stiff enough that I cant remember ever getting cut off.

Thundercatcher
05-28-2012, 10:01 PM
so the pike will come to the suraface to get the bait. How deep would the bait be? a few feet from the top?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-28-2012, 10:05 PM
You can jig them just like a walleye . Put a slip bobber up top and your laughing . Make sure you use 30 fluro leader material at minimum .

Cal
05-28-2012, 10:09 PM
so the pike will come to the suraface to get the bait. How deep would the bait be? a few feet from the top?

Hang the bait so it is within 3-4 feet of the bottom.

Thundercatcher
05-28-2012, 10:19 PM
keep in mind that I will be shore fishing. Makes it harder to set the depth

crosman177
05-28-2012, 10:26 PM
the secret is to use a gorge hook!!!! toss it in like you would a pickeral rig. these things keep the bait fish on for good almost! thread it with the needle and your set. thx to burnie at russell sports for teaching me about them. ;)

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGEEdT-CdCHuWbHZRkEs3ChQbniEJSlspSofntLpIh8qUhTZrsag

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1-I8uMoqrGZ7nCFsVv1rYEBTS1FbAy_qg3MKakYCf9HYSBZxa

05-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Likei said in my previous post

These were caught from shore http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/86aeeda8.jpg
With slip bobber rig .

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/a4427caf.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/347e4e78.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/barrypike2.jpg
And several more but these should get you wet between the knees .

Thundercatcher
05-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks! I will try this.

FishingFrenzy
05-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Baitfish for pike? Whyyyyyyy :)??? So many more fun ways to catch pike. IMO....

Jackfish rig is the way I would go. Minnows or smelts, that is if I wanted to baitfish for pike... pff crazy idea

Lefty-Canuck
05-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Flyfish for them.....most fun you can have with your waders on :)

LC

Thundercatcher
05-28-2012, 11:32 PM
I would bait fish if the pike are not taking anything else

fish gunner
05-28-2012, 11:56 PM
keep in mind that I will be shore fishing. Makes it harder to set the depth

with the rig BBJ kindly posted you can set your depth as deep as you like. I am currently using a similar rig to set baits 40' down in 50+ fow fishing from shore. I use a water knot then a small bead above the float. a water knot or a bobber stop knot can be slid up the line any distance. the knot can be reeled on to the spool leaving the bead down on the float. weight and hook distance needs fine tuning to prevent tangles while casting.

05-28-2012, 11:58 PM
with the rig BBJ kindly posted you can set your depth as deep as you like. I am currently using a similar rig to set baits 40' down in 50+ fow fishing from shore. I use a water knot then a small bead above the float. a water knot or a bobber stop knot can be slid up the line any distance. the knot can be reeled on to the spool leaving the bead down on the float. weight and hook distance needs fine tuning to prevent tangles while casting.

That's exactly what I do just not shown in doodling .

fish gunner
05-29-2012, 12:11 AM
That's exactly what I do just not shown in doodling .

ya for sure big man. just giving TC a different perspective. I know you got the skills. TC's just learning this kind of rigging.

05-29-2012, 12:13 AM
ya for sure big man. just giving TC a different perspective. I know you got the skills. TC's just learning this kind of rigging.

I'd love to take him out in the boat teach em a few lessons and get him into big fish , other then from shore . But I guess he doesn't , I'm ok with that to .

Alberta Bigbore
05-29-2012, 12:18 AM
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/mojobass/randomstartrekanimated.gif

Thundercatcher
05-29-2012, 12:24 AM
I'm just kind of nervous meeting up with people I don't know

pickrel pat
05-29-2012, 05:02 AM
we still talking about fishing boys? lol.

Willowtrail
05-29-2012, 07:50 AM

Check out the general discussion. A bunch of us are meeting for wings and a few drinks tomorrow night. Come out and meet some of us. Theres lots of good people on this forum and not many of them bite.

You got out fishing a lot and you're learning a bunch. Keep up the good work

Geezle
05-29-2012, 08:15 AM

Why did that clip from Deliverance just pop into my head again? :scared:

cube
05-29-2012, 10:14 AM

Given you are fishing from shore you might want to use the same system as the "Fishinggeeks" use. (Sean has posted many times on this forum). He just lets the bait sit on the bottom. That way you don't have to worry about wave action moving the bait on you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-jKpvMbFCM&list=UU1UVn847q0nzGwkDnODTa1g&index=6&feature=plcp

The Brits use this technique alot fishing from shore.

Here is just one website that you may find helpful
http://pikeonline.co.uk/baits/hooking-whole-deadbaits

If you search UK and pike fishing you will finds lots of great info on this technique

05-29-2012, 11:17 AM

I understand that . And Dont blame you . I dont know if you have meet moostknuckle , or Geezle , or Sureshot or Willowtrail , but they are all buddys of mine . Maybe a bad part on there behalf LOL kidding aside .

Thundercatcher , Id be willing to take you and someone you trust on my boat go spend a day on Wabamun , Pigeon , whichever and Id give you some tips and tricks on how to do some set ups to improve your fishing . This isnt an offer I give many , and Ill likely have many pm's after doing so .

I have read your post for the past while , you have the basics there , and it wouldnt be for what I now know , if I hadnt had someone share them with me .

Anyway Ill leave this in your hands , feel free to send me a Private Message .

I dont want your money , your lunch , and this is no gay lunch thing , I just want to help you out thats all I want out of this .

Gary K
05-29-2012, 01:37 PM
I understand that . And Dont blame you . I dont know if you have meet moostknuckle , or Geezle , or Sureshot or Willowtrail , but they are all buddys of mine . Maybe a bad part on there behalf LOL kidding aside .

Thundercatcher , Id be willing to take you and someone you trust on my boat go spend a day on Wabamun , Pigeon , whichever and Id give you some tips and tricks on how to do some set ups to improve your fishing . This isnt an offer I give many , and Ill likely have many pm's after doing so .

I have read your post for the past while , you have the basics there , and it wouldnt be for what I now know , if I hadnt had someone share them with me .

Anyway Ill leave this in your hands , feel free to send me a Private Message .

I dont want your money , your lunch , and this is no gay lunch thing , I just want to help you out thats all I want out of this .

thats quite the offer! Id jump on that forsure TC!
offers like that do not come around very often!

And you dont even need to bring BBJ lunch!

pelada trochu
05-29-2012, 06:20 PM
These techniques have been know to allow the pike to swallow the bait and mortally wound the fish. Make sure you watch your lines and I recommend tossing a spoon or crank instead.

Thundercatcher
05-29-2012, 06:26 PM
that would be cool. I never been in a boat before

05-29-2012, 06:31 PM

Forsure , I've been in plenty and am not going to harm my life or yours . I don't allow booze or drugs , everyone on my boat wears a life jacket . If storms are approaching off the water we go . Common sense and water are a good thing .

Now thunder catcher give it some thought and pm me .

05-29-2012, 06:33 PM
These techniques have been know to allow the pike to swallow the bait and mortally wound the fish. Make sure you watch your lines and I recommend tossing a spoon or crank instead.

That's why you use a 1/4 oz jig . I always keep an eye on things rarely do I gut hook a fish even when bait fishing on the river .

Mattattack
05-29-2012, 06:34 PM

Forsure , I've been in plenty and am not going to harm my life or yours . I don't allow booze or drugs , everyone on my boat wears a life jacket . If storms are approaching off the water we go . Common sense and water are a good thing .

Now thunder catcher give it some thought and pm me .

Ugggh I'd love an offer like that! Definately take it up. Fishing advice is priceless with the memories you can form from that advice!