PDA

View Full Version : Jiggin Walleye

The Great White Hype
05-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Went out Saturday, had a good day on Travers. Fishin' was great got 11 Walleye in the boat and only 2 pike. The others in my group did about the same. Was a great experience for my first time jiggin off a boat. Was using a St.Croix Legend Tournament w/ Stradic 2500 and the combo was amazing, but not mine.

Now, I find myself in the market for a GOOD combo that I will use for jiggin, and am looking for suggestions. No real price range, and not looking for the universal "Canadian Tire has" or "Ugly Stick this" comments. Decent graphite rod, and nice reel to go with it.

Also, favorite combos for line/jig head/bait for this...

What do ya'll got for me?

TROLLER
05-28-2012, 05:58 PM
You just described my jiggin set up, only diff is my reel is the C!4

Bass sells a real decent jiggn rod for under 125 and the new quantom Smoke is one "smokin" reel. for around 170

Redfrog
05-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Why not buy what you were using. sounds like you really liked it?

The Great White Hype
05-28-2012, 06:08 PM
I liked it, but want to look at some alternatives as well... Maybe there are some other comparables that i might like a bit better...

RapStaff
05-28-2012, 06:23 PM
One of my favorite walleye jigging rods is a 7 foot one piece medium light Rapala XLT.
Paired it with a R type spinning reel and some 10 pound Sufix 832.
Personally speaking all my walleye jigging rods are medium light or light action.
Allowing me fish smaller heads and detect subtle bites.
The key to a jigging rod for walleye is a positively loaded rod tip.
Allows detection of negative bites (slack line)

BeeGuy
05-28-2012, 06:34 PM
One of my favorite walleye jigging rods is a 7 foot one piece medium light Rapala XLT.
Paired it with a R type spinning reel and some 10 pound Sufix 832.
Personally speaking all my walleye jigging rods are medium light or light action.
Allowing me fish smaller heads and detect subtle bites.
The key to a jigging rod for walleye is a positively loaded rod tip.
Allows detection of negative bites (slack line)

what does this mean?

npauls
05-28-2012, 06:40 PM
It means you want to be able to feel the smallest of jig heads on the end of your line so if a fish swims upward with your hook in its mouth you can feel it. If the rod isn't meant or set up for that type of situation you may miss those bites.

bobalong
05-28-2012, 06:49 PM
IMO some similar rods to the one you used would be the Shimano Crucial/Cumara, Quantum Superlight, G-Loomis IMX

Wes_G
05-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Those St. Croix Eyecons are a nice walleye rod as well.

chubbdarter
05-28-2012, 07:40 PM
G loomis NRS....nothing beats this new nano technology at this time, tip recovery is un matched

Quantum EXO and Smoke combos

At a qualityéprice point the species series from Rapala are unreal.

On the bad side the EXO and Smoke do not backreel.

The Great White Hype
05-28-2012, 08:07 PM
All good feedback, thanks ya'll... I will post again once I have made my choice.

Cal
05-28-2012, 10:01 PM
what does this mean?

I think what he means is that the weight of the jig should load the tip of the rod slightly. Never thought about it before but that would probably make it much easyer to stay in contact with your jig as well as detecting the "negative bites". I'll have to try a lighter rod one of these days.

BeeGuy
05-28-2012, 10:37 PM
I think what he means is that the weight of the jig should load the tip of the rod slightly. Never thought about it before but that would probably make it much easyer to stay in contact with your jig as well as detecting the "negative bites". I'll have to try a lighter rod one of these days.

gotcha thanks!

RapStaff
05-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Yes that is what I was leading towards......... Positive load detects negative bites.
If your tip is to stiff doing this with smaller hooks may not be possible.

sapper3
05-30-2012, 09:25 AM
I just purchased the Shimano Crucial and the Stradic CI4 2500 and I love it very sensitive set up and light not crazy about the new style handle, I prefer a cork handle. It was pricey but worth every cent. Thanks to Dave at WHS and Rick at TFH.

crown royal 17
05-30-2012, 01:39 PM
One thing to think about is how much of fun would you like your rod and reel combo to give you. What I mean is a some of time I will you small light action gear to make the fishing more of a challenge and fun. Nothing like battling a active walleye with a five foot rod it makes you take your time bringing in a fish.

The Great White Hype
05-30-2012, 07:38 PM
D-DAY has come... My choice is almost made....

Shimano .... Cumulus 6'5 M CML65M and Stradic Ci-4 1000F

Loomis WJR752S GLX with Shimano Sustain 1000.

Thoughts?
:test:

RapStaff
05-30-2012, 09:23 PM
Loomis, but I'd go with a quantum reel over a shimano any day.

780sjc
05-31-2012, 12:14 AM
Loomis, but I'd go with a quantum reel over a shimano any day.

Care to explain why?

Alberta Bigbore
05-31-2012, 12:40 AM
Those St. Croix Eyecons are a nice walleye rod as well.

Not bad for sure. I would rank them up there with the older Quantum PT tour rods.

farmsniper
05-31-2012, 06:28 AM
Im in the process of setting up my new g loomis glx. Going to look at a smoke reel tomorrow. I've always used 12 lb silver thread, I'm thinking of going lighter? Is 8 lb too light? I will mainly use it for pulling lindys. And for the experts do you guys use the same test on your leads or lighter then the mainline for a more finesse approach?

DanaS
05-31-2012, 06:41 AM
Those new sustains are very nice. I have been very happy with my Shimano reels (Stella x2, Saragossa, Saros x2, Spheros, and even 1 Sedona that has held up nice). I meant to pick up a Sustain at that BPS trade in sale a couple months back, but they didn't have any. Picked up a Daiwa Steez insteady. First Diawa since I was a kid. Should be an interesting summer.

RapStaff
05-31-2012, 01:55 PM
IMO quantum as well as a couple other reel manufacturers offer as good of quality reels as a Shimano at a way better price point.

The Great White Hype
05-31-2012, 02:28 PM
IMO quantum as well as a couple other reel manufacturers offer as good of quality reels as a Shimano at a way better price point.

I prefer the look and feel of Shimano reels to any other. The only other reel that is garnering consideration from me is the Abu Garcia Premier PRM20. I find Quantum to be heavier, and not as smooth in comparison. Maybe an EXO would be close though, I have not yet had a chance to look at that one.