PDA

View Full Version : Shore fishing areas around Edmonton area

New2Fishing
05-29-2012, 10:41 AM
i'm very new to this forum n fishing, my gf n i have gone to a bunch of lakes (star, hasse, pigeon) trying to land a fish other than the trouts from hermitage pond... so far no luck at all after numerous tries at the lakes... what are we doing wrong and what should we be using?... like i said i'm very new to fishing... are there any other shore fishing areas we can try for perch pike or whitefish?

New2Fishing
05-29-2012, 11:11 AM
any help would greatly be appreciated... thank you

NSR Monger
05-29-2012, 11:17 AM
try the nsr for sure! probly a couple dozen good shore spots in the city, from what I have heard shore fishing for whitefish in a lake can be pretty tough but I did catch one from the river this year, there are 13 species roughly of "catchable" fish in the river!

edit: also if you are shore fishing a lake you need to research the species of fish in the lake so you can fish accordingly, if going for pike the yellow 5 of diamonds spoon is generally considered the best for pike

I'll be heading to the river from 1ish -530 for a quickie today

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-29-2012, 11:32 AM
where did you try at pigeon lake ? you can catch them there pretty easy bobber and small jig and it will be game on .

New2Fishing
05-29-2012, 11:37 AM
we fished beside the boat launch area around noon, guess fish don't bite than... whats a good bait to use there...

05-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Which boat launch theres many of them .

You can fish right off the pier at the main Provinchal park . Theres a big walkout sea wall at Ma me o beach you can fish off .

Best fishing is done in early morning , or once the sun gets behind the trees also helps when there arent a 1000 boats trying to launch also . But hasnt stopped me from fishing then when I fished from shore .

Cast a Jig head and minnow work well as do leeches , dew worms about 50 or so yards .

New2Fishing
05-29-2012, 11:46 AM
yup we were at the pier in the provincial park...

NSR Monger
05-29-2012, 11:47 AM
where did you try at pigeon lake ? you can catch them there pretty easy bobber and small jig and it will be game on .

Got 3 tags for pigeon this year, any good shore spots you are willing to share if they not a secret spot? Made a mistake and got 3 for the 43-50 class, clearly should have taken the 2 at over 50 :snapoutofit:

New2Fishing
05-29-2012, 11:53 AM
are there any other good fishings spots around Edm guys? my gf and I go fishing every other day with our daughters...

NSRfishing
05-29-2012, 01:03 PM
The river is the best shore fishing cant beat it

DAVE
05-29-2012, 01:34 PM
The river is the best shore fishing cant beat it

Would have to agree.

New2Fishing
05-29-2012, 02:41 PM
what river is good? NSR has a high mercury lvl....

Anthonydamore
05-29-2012, 03:55 PM
are there any other good fishings spots around Edm guys? my gf and I go fishing every other day with our daughters...

Try Beaumont pond, hermitage, and the river.

canadiantdi
05-29-2012, 04:12 PM

Mercury is good for you, eat as much as you can.

New2Fishing
05-29-2012, 05:43 PM
lol i'll save it for u then....

05-29-2012, 05:58 PM

lol i'll save it for u then....

There's no more mercury in the north Saskatchewan river then any lake around Edmonton. The north Saskatchewan river is very clean compared to most lakes . You think it's not due to it being a muddy river .

Google north Saskatchewan river alliance and read up on there reports and facts on the north Saskatchewan river in Alberta .

They are a very good group which I have recently connected with .

05-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Got 3 tags for pigeon this year, any good shore spots you are willing to share if they not a secret spot? Made a mistake and got 3 for the 43-50 class, clearly should have taken the 2 at over 50 :snapoutofit:

Send me a pm I might have room for a co pilot in the boat take you an hour or so to take care of them tags .