PDA

View Full Version : Fish finder

TROLLER
05-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Well it's time I upgraded my old Eagle fish finder. While it still works great I am thinking I need a new colour with built in GPS

Looked at both Lowrance and Humminbird and am kinda leaning to the Lowrance

Too many models to choose from, I want the down imaging, but not side scan, and am planning in the 5 to 600 range.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Jamie Black R/T
05-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Well it's time I upgraded my old Eagle fish finder. While it still works great I am thinking I need a new colour with built in GPS

Looked at both Lowrance and Humminbird and am kinda leaning to the Lowrance

Too many models to choose from, I want the down imaging, but not side scan, and am planning in the 5 to 600 range.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

i did the same bit of shopping a couple months ago and went with the humminbird 597.

the bird has a nicer menu system IMO....the other deciding factor for me was humminbirds excellent reputation for customer service....heard the opposite about lowrance from several sources.

its a real game changer having the built in GPS...i cant believe i didnt go for it sooner...you will LOVE whatever one you choose im sure.

adogwiththumbs
05-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Shopped and researched my ass off,went with the 597 ciHD with GPS as well.Has been unbelievable,don't regret a thing.

fluxcore
05-29-2012, 05:56 PM
I have a humming bird 597 with di and it's awsome, I only fish where I mark fish because I only catch fish where I mark Fish lol takes the guess work compleatly out. I have a bow mounted Lowrance and it's awsome to, amazing how the images are identical on a spot between them, only thing the hummingbird has on it is an extreamly simple menu and a shorter learning curve. Both are great period.

bobalong
05-29-2012, 06:07 PM
I have the Humminbird 597 Hd SI, great unit. They also make a 597 HD with just the Di and GPS, they go for about 700.00. A little out of your range, but you are getting a great unit.

RapStaff
05-29-2012, 10:23 PM
x2 on the bird I picked up a 798 C SI with gps.
Side imagery is pretty cool. I like the hot button setup, super easy to set my 3 favorite screens. Can't wait to put in a Navionics card.

TROLLER
05-30-2012, 02:58 PM
So I have located a new Humminbird 597 ciHD on ebay for about 500bucks but am wondering if this would have the down imaging.

Can also get a Lowrance at Bass, a floor model small one with down imaging for 550. Just not sure what is the best bet.

cougarcreek
05-30-2012, 03:23 PM
I just bought a new Humminbird 898 and it works great. Did some research before buying and found that the Humminbird is easier to use and has better support if something goes wrong than Lowrance. Screens seemed to be equal.

TROLLER
05-31-2012, 02:44 PM
Looks like I am gonna have to bite the bullit and get the 597 Di, to get down imagine or side with the lowrance you have to buy an attachment for big bucks and it is already built in to the Humminbird.

Now all I have to do is find the best deal.

kgb33
05-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Looking at a Hummingbird myself , I want the DI (down imaging ) Not sure if the side imaging is really necessary ? I have seen it working on a Guides boat on the Fraser , And you could pick individual Sturgeon out on the screen ! But would you get the same results with DI ??

TROLLER
05-31-2012, 05:54 PM
If the fish is under the boat you should get the same effect as SI I would think.

fluxcore
05-31-2012, 06:01 PM
Di works great, you can also scroll down and place a gps marker right on the structure that has the fish around it and it pops up 20-30ft around/ behind the boat. It's a good size beam so it covers a decient area. I love my HDS 5 to, I feel it can be tuned better once figured out so it's hard to part with after the learning/customizing curve. I think if I had to pick I'd almost take the hds because it's more personaized but if I was to recommend one it would be the bird. Next year I'll upgrade my hds to sI it's just a little to pricy right now. Di rocks

Mulestalker
05-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Looking at the 798ci si myself, looking specifically for the si as it will be strickly a river fishfinder. DI would be pointless for this application.

So all depends where/how you want to fish..

Got a price of $770 so will probably pull the trigger soon.

kgb33
05-31-2012, 08:08 PM
Looking at the 798ci si myself, looking specifically for the si as it will be strickly a river fishfinder. DI would be pointless for this application.

So all depends where/how you want to fish..

Got a price of $770 so will probably pull the trigger soon.

Thats the one I'm looking at , Where did you find one at that price ?

Mulestalker
05-31-2012, 08:40 PM
US, $800 shipped.

PM me if your interested,may get a better deal buying 2.