PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island Lake - worth the trip?

schmedlap
05-29-2012, 07:56 PM
I've been planning to go there for years, but never made it yet. Deterred by the campground closure, etc. a couple of years back. What is the latest news? it appears from some old posts that the campgound was reopened last year (?). I've heard from friends that (many years back, mind you) it is a very good lake for both the fishing and the campground. Is it worth a trip this year? Are there problems with "security" in terms of leaving all one's camping gear unattended while out on the lake? Have they fixed the boat launch? I would really appreciate any wisdom from those "in the know".

hwilhelm
05-29-2012, 08:10 PM
The lake is not what it was years ago. Watch out for the long rock reefs that come off the islands!! Many a prop and bottom end ripped off there! They come off the ends of the islands. Also I found a big rock just out from the boat launch, which is in bad shape.

schmedlap
06-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Well, almost nothing is what it was years ago in this context. I can live with an iffy boat launch as my boat is not of the "large" variety and can be wrestled in by sheer muscle if necessary. Does anyone know what the current state of the compground is, and whether there are "security" issues?

Booner1
06-04-2012, 08:39 AM
went there the other day the fishing was very slow 1 eye lost 2. Normally go there 4-5 times a year. tried my favorite hole and nothing yet plus trolled outside edges

schmedlap
06-15-2012, 05:49 PM
That is useful, but doesn't answer the questions about the campground and relative security (is there any common problem with potentially being "looted" or vandalized while one is out seeking fishies?). Surely someone has camped there lately (?). Is there a good wood supply which one does not have to purchase, green stick by stick, at extortionate prices (or a good supply of local deadfall)? Is it generally nice, or a miserable mudhole? Do the "locals" (if there is any such thing?) try to extort a contribution to the "community" fund for the privilege of being there? The camping experience is, to us, just as important as the ultimate quality of the fishing, which is why a number of places don't "make our list". It is sad when you have to take shifts - leaving someone behind to guard the vehicles and gear - or even just being nervous about such things. It is sad when you can't have a nice campfire without having to shell out large $ to cook over the open fire, and just to enjoy the experience. We like to just set up and breath in the outdoors for a few days without having to worry much about such things.
I'm sure someone out there has recent knowledge of these things, and would sure appreciate the benefit of such wisdom. Not to mention any comments on these issues in general.

JohninAB
06-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Was there 2 weekends ago. Campground was very well kept. All new gravel on the pads, road in great shape. No security problems at all. Very quiet but then again only about 10 campers there. Boat launch is decent but stay to the left when backing down. Had no issues on that side at all. Lake is low so the islands stick out like sore thumbs right now. Just watch when getting close to them and all is well. Fishing for walleyes was good. Largest we caught was 4 lbs 12 ounces. Lots of keeper size walleyes were caught trolling rapala XRaps in 6 to 8 feet of water.

Will admit walleye fishing was not even close to what it was in 2008, but that was a phenomenal year there.

schmedlap
06-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks. I will get out there this year.