PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Guide

Bhflyfisher
05-29-2012, 10:23 PM
To what extent are the lakes/streams updated in the guide. In my backroads book i have the lake mentioning only trout and then the guide mentioning said trout and pike. It is quite secluded and a hike so i am thinking it could be good. Stocking reports say only trout have recently been put in there.

I have gotten some screwy directions from the guide before and definitely will not be following it for directions. But just curious as to whether or not the information is accurately portrayed. Because over the past 5 years i have seen not a single change in any lakes information.

Does anyone have any knowledge as to the accurate-ness the Barry Mitchell's guide portrays? I get the feeling the lakes were all written up about so many years ago and never changed.

pickrel pat
05-29-2012, 10:32 PM
i use it for directions and a very basic guideline to the fishing. it would be very hard for someone to keep up with all the changes a waterbody sees every year. ( winterkills, partial winterkills, stunting, over fishing, netting heavy, illegal specie introductions, drought, etc, etc.....)

Lornce
05-30-2012, 08:16 AM
I agree the guide is a basic overview of the lakes and a better overview of how to get to waters rather than fishing info.

Bigwoodsman
05-30-2012, 09:35 AM
To what extent are the lakes/streams updated in the guide. In my backroads book i have the lake mentioning only trout and then the guide mentioning said trout and pike. It is quite secluded and a hike so i am thinking it could be good. Stocking reports say only trout have recently been put in there.

I have gotten some screwy directions from the guide before and definitely will not be following it for directions. But just curious as to whether or not the information is accurately portrayed. Because over the past 5 years i have seen not a single change in any lakes information.

Does anyone have any knowledge as to the accurate-ness the Barry Mitchell's guide portrays? I get the feeling the lakes were all written up about so many years ago and never changed.

The guide hasn't changed much if any over the past 20 plus years. Use it as a source for new experiences, and a general idea of where to find the fishery. Don't be too disappointed if you pull something out of the water that is not expected.
It would be nice if some effort was put into updating the information in the magazine.

BW

BGSH
05-30-2012, 10:59 AM
It is a good thing that many Alberta streams and lakes are not listed in the book, makes way for an untouched fishery.

jacenbeers
05-30-2012, 11:05 AM
I dont think it has been updated forever. That is why once you own the guide, there is no real reason to buy one the next year if you still have last year's guide.

pickrel pat
05-30-2012, 12:28 PM
I dont think it has been updated forever. That is why once you own the guide, there is no real reason to buy one the next year if you still have last year's guide.

post something quick before you grow devil horns!

Pierre
05-30-2012, 01:00 PM
In the 2003 issue of the AFG, Barry explains:

"One of the most often asked questions is, "Where do you get your information?" The answer's simple. We work damn hard at it. In the 23 years since Ann and I bought Dad's share of the business and went our own way with the magazine, we've not only acquired more than 1000 maps for research, but we've made friends with the provincial fisheries biologists and call them each year to pick their brains about conditions of specific waters in their area.

It doesn't end there. Friends, fishing partners and readers feed us new info and give us leads all the time. Then there's the 60,000 km I put on my truck every year as I do my own research or confirm something a reader has pointed out."