PDA

View Full Version : SIKSIKA access?

Gary K
05-30-2012, 08:28 AM
So a friends of mine has been fishing near bassano on the river. Which is on siksika land. he tells me that a few nativies have stopped by to chat and see how he was doing. And they were all quite frendly.

My question is does any one know the legalaties of accessing the river on the reserve? i wanna explore some of the banks down there myself. But with my luck i will run into the one rude guy that lives down there and get myself in trouble.

Hope someone has some insight. As google doesnt!

Okotokian
05-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Phone the band and ask. It's their land.

I'm totally guessing on this part, but I bet their isn't even crown land to the high water mark like there is with normal private property. Bet it's all legally theirs.

TROLLER
05-30-2012, 10:05 AM

I'm totally guessing on this part, but I bet their isn't even crown land to the high water mark like there is with normal private property. Bet it's all legally theirs.

Gotta buy a license from the band. Had a cabin at Hidden Valley for years and we had to buy the lic and a permit to launch the jet boat. Their police will come by from time to time and will issue tickets.

avb3
05-30-2012, 10:24 AM

If I recall correctly, the province and the Feds see the reserve ending at the high water mark, but the band considers it to end at the middle of the river. I'm not sure if that dispute ever was resolved.

SuCraM
05-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Yes call the band office as I am a band member and it is all private land in and around the river on reserve land. Nice people though but am sure the band police are out and about checking on things as I have seen them on a few occasions on my excursions on the reserve.

Gary K
05-30-2012, 11:08 AM
thanks guys!
will do!