PDA

View Full Version : Elbow River: 22x -> Glenmore

BeeGuy
05-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Not too much info available on this section in the archives.

Discovered recently that a friend of mine has a considerable amount of property that fronts this section of river with good access.

I'm interested to check it out once it opens.

I'm not familiar with the Elbow at all. Are there any barriers between there and the mountains? Dams? Waterfalls?

Any cutties or bulls that far down? or just bows, browns, rmwf and the odd pike?

thanks

PM if you aren't into advertising

Heavy K
05-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Elbow falls. But you might not consider it to be between there and "the mountains".

I'd think cutties and Brookies would be in there, but in limited numbers. Not sure though.

hk

kissarmygeneral
05-30-2012, 03:58 PM
I live on the Elbow and I fish it all summer. It runs through Elbow falls past Bragg Creek. I'v caught a few bulls before, maybe 10 in around 10 years, all pretty small. Lots of small rainbows and a few small brookies also. Quite a few browns but normally pretty small in size. I'v pulled 2 in my life over 20' out of the Elbow. Last but not least, TONS of whitefish. Hope that helps.

BeeGuy
05-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Whitefish. cool

my favorite

kissarmygeneral
05-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Whitefish. cool

my favorite

hahah I hear ya. Feels a little more ?creeky? than fishing the Bow obviously, but don't expect to catch any monsters.

BeeGuy
05-30-2012, 05:15 PM
hahah I hear ya. Feels a little more ?creeky? than fishing the Bow obviously, but don't expect to catch any monsters.

Hahaha, there's monsters in the Bow?

It doesn't even produce 30" trout.

Dust1n
05-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Iv caught some big trout in the elbow because the bow was frustrating and I worked better with smaller rivers. the majority of the fish are suckers but iv got a bunch of pike, and whites out of there aswell. Once the tubers start showing up they head for the middle and wont eat anything for the day then when dusk comes they will feed off anything! Its a crazy sight watching browns go nuts for hatch at dusk. It fishes the best after tubing season and when the browns start to stage. the wood ledges on the side of the river is where i got some of the biggest trout out of there. Go2 flies would include small eggs-from the majority of suckers and big streamers
Underneath the walking bridges also has some big trout that sit on the bottom during the day. once dusk comes they head shallow and will eat almost anything-perfect time for videoing browns flipping over rocks with there heads

BeeGuy
05-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Iv caught some big trout in the elbow because the bow was frustrating and I worked better with smaller rivers. the majority of the fish are suckers but iv got a bunch of pike, and whites out of there aswell. Once the tubers start showing up they head for the middle and wont eat anything for the day then when dusk comes they will feed off anything! Its a crazy sight watching browns go nuts for hatch at dusk. It fishes the best after tubing season and when the browns start to stage. the wood ledges on the side of the river is where i got some of the biggest trout out of there. Go2 flies would include small eggs-from the majority of suckers and big streamers
Underneath the walking bridges also has some big trout that sit on the bottom during the day. once dusk comes they head shallow and will eat almost anything-perfect time for videoing browns flipping over rocks with there heads

are you referring to the section which flows into the Bow?

Dust1n
05-30-2012, 05:24 PM
below glenmore to the church area

BeeGuy
05-30-2012, 05:29 PM
cool, thanks

I'm looking for info on the 22x->glenmore section only

The Fisherman Guy
05-30-2012, 08:40 PM
That section is bordered by the reserve, and access can be tough. Not many people fish it because of this. I live a block off the reservoir, and I have fished it plenty over the years. Mostly pike, and rockies. I have pulled a bull out, but it was tiny. I have heard of big browns being caught upstream of the Glen, but I have yet to see one being caught. Tezma caught a decent brown at ice out last year, at the mouth of where the Elbow comes into the Glen, if I remember the pictures correctly.

walking buffalo
05-30-2012, 10:15 PM
The Elbow runs through the Tsuu T'ina Indian Reserve in two sections. Downstream of Bragg Creek (Range road 50) almost to hwy 22, and then from below Elbow Springs (approx. 93rd st.) until the Glenmore Reservoir. There are a couple of bends in the river that run through Discovery Ridge that are out of the reserve in this stretch.

A person cannot access these sections of the Elbow River by walking the shoreline, streambed or floating without Band permission from Chief and Council, and as a rarely bent rule, Chief and council does not give out permission.

Tresspassing and accompanying garbage/vandalism is getting worse in these reserve areas every year. There will be personnel out this summer charging people with tresspassing on Nation land ( a federal offence).

I fish these stretches frequently. The fishing is not that good. But there are some Huge brown trout that inhabit the Elbow above the reservoir. A few years ago we electro-shocked a brown trout in a side channel that weighed 19 pounds. It would have been the provincial record if caught by rod and reel. This fish is likely in Glenmore now.

BeeGuy
05-30-2012, 10:37 PM
19lbs?

Must have been over 30"?

The section I can access is west of the res as far as I can tell and appears to be surrounded by private property.