PDA

View Full Version : where is unnamed lakes/ponds east of airdrie with pike

fLshgear
05-31-2012, 09:51 PM
a few years ago some people i worked with said that they would go fishing in these small lakes / ponds east of airdrie. now i live out here and want to go try fishing there but i have no idea where they are, and cant find any info on them. i searched this site and only found mention of the lakes but it didnt say where they were. it sid they were part of an irrigation pond.

any help would be great
thanks

fLshgear
06-06-2012, 07:39 PM
bump?

Gary K
06-06-2012, 08:11 PM
google maps?
go for a drive?

Rabdo
06-06-2012, 08:58 PM
about a month ago i heard about a lake in that area that holds a lot of pike. but can't remember the name at all, tried looking on the map, google earth, etc, but no luck. i think it starts with a B

Mariko's Rod
06-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Ive fished there before. barely remember how to get there but I believe you take yankee valley road east to the airport road. turn right and go a few miles until you hit a stop sign and then go left. you are heading east now, past another stop sign and look for the pond on ur left. about 15 miniute drive from the city limits. almost all gravel. park in the ditch and its about a 100 yard walk.

dont quote me on the directions but I believe they are right.

the lady that owns the land will come and talk to you if she sees you. She is nice, she will prob give you her phone number and will only ask that you call her and tell her when you are going there in the future.

good luck!....... on a good night you will catch a dozen pike. nothing big but good action. Try top water when its calm. its weedy.

Chris84
06-06-2012, 09:36 PM
about a month ago i heard about a lake in that area that holds a lot of pike. but can't remember the name at all, tried looking on the map, google earth, etc, but no luck. i think it starts with a B

You are thinking of Bruce Lake. Take 566 straight east from crossiron mills, cross hiway 9 and continue a few miles till you see the lakes on the right side of the road. It holds pike, its pretty shallow. It has three ponds. Do not go on landowners land. I missed his sign and he tore a strip out of me......I apologized but he was really aggresive.

Chris

RHJ
06-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Yup its Bruce lake..... Decent pike action.. There is some bigger pike but you need a boat to get past the center island to other side... You will catch small ones off shore

Rabdo
06-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys

fLshgear
06-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Ive fished there before. barely remember how to get there but I believe you take yankee valley road east to the airport road. turn right and go a few miles until you hit a stop sign and then go left. you are heading east now, past another stop sign and look for the pond on ur left. about 15 miniute drive from the city limits. almost all gravel. park in the ditch and its about a 100 yard walk.

dont quote me on the directions but I believe they are right.

the lady that owns the land will come and talk to you if she sees you. She is nice, she will prob give you her phone number and will only ask that you call her and tell her when you are going there in the future.

good luck!....... on a good night you will catch a dozen pike. nothing big but good action. Try top water when its calm. its weedy.

I took a drive out that way today, and there are no stop signs out there. there is a few yeilds. i first tried the road that was east of the airport and then went all the way to the balzac highway then came back to the road half way in between 566 and big springs rd tr264 went west to the airport rd that is west of airport. most of the ponds dont look like they would have fish in them. there is no water coming in or out.

i havent made it out to bruce lake yet

Kenny Blankenship
06-08-2012, 03:19 PM
You are thinking of Bruce Lake. Take 566 straight east from crossiron mills, cross hiway 9 and continue a few miles till you see the lakes on the right side of the road. It holds pike, its pretty shallow. It has three ponds. Do not go on landowners land. I missed his sign and he tore a strip out of me......I apologized but he was really aggresive.

Chris

These directions are correct, but I'll break them down for you a bit more. Once you go east over Highway 9, the road will turn into township road 262, go approx 7 kms to the intersection of 262 and range road 263. It is right there. Or enter "Bruce Lake, Rocky View County, Alberta" into google maps and it will mark it for you.

Hope that helps, haven't been out there in years but if you're going pm me and I may be able to give 'er a shot with you.

ogre
06-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Was out at Bruce Lake last week, the weeds by the shore are a nightmare. Saw a couple dead pikes in the weeds. Definitely need a float or boat to get out to the deeper area, although most of the "lake" is still fairly shallow.

Rabdo
06-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Anyone interested in checking it out in the next 3, 4 days

Mariko's Rod
06-08-2012, 07:09 PM
I took a drive out that way today, and there are no stop signs out there. there is a few yeilds. i first tried the road that was east of the airport and then went all the way to the balzac highway then came back to the road half way in between 566 and big springs rd tr264 went west to the airport rd that is west of airport. most of the ponds dont look like they would have fish in them. there is no water coming in or out.

i havent made it out to bruce lake yet

The sign on the north-south road I was talking about could have been a yeild sign to turn left at my appologies. heading east to the pond the one you go thru is definatly a stop sign. I remember running it by accident my first time out there. as for the pond it doesnt look like much. its on pasture land and usually cows around. from what I recall their is a pump house that you can see from the road right beside the pond on the east side.