PDA

View Full Version : Slave lake

college-fisherman
06-01-2012, 06:14 AM
So I am heading up to slave lake for some camping with friends. I am the only fisherman in the group so I won't have a boat or anything,, and I am wondering if there is any decent spots that can be fished from shore. I am going to try either way but I was hoping that someone might tip me off on where to go.

pickrel pat
06-01-2012, 06:28 AM
the river that flows out of the lake right at the edge of town can be shore fished and can be good as well.

Shmag
06-01-2012, 07:17 AM
Yep Pats advice is bang on right now, from the mouth of the river way past the weir is good fishing. The better spots being off the pump house dock, and there is a hole on the south side of the river downstream of the pump house approx 100 yrds. Just before and after the weir is also very good. Also if your going fairly soon, and the fish are still in shallow, the fishing is good off the canyon creek break wall...tough wall to fish though as its high wall....Good luck

Stonecutter
06-01-2012, 08:46 AM
... off the pump house dock, and there is a hole on the south side of the river downstream of the pump house approx 100 yrds.

I can't tell you how many hours I stood on that dock when I was growing up (or at the point between the back water and the river at the weir. I've also lost at least one fishing rod and several pickeral rigs to boats who veer way too close to the dock before I had a chance to reel in in anticipation of their passing by.

It's been at least 20 years and I still mourn the loss of that fishing rod!

duffy4
06-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Where will you be camping?

Some years back I was at the provincial park up the east side and the swimming area was great. You could walk out a long long way on nice sand.

One fellow i talked to said he would wade out in the evenings and cast spoons for pike with some success. I reckon the water may be kind of cold for wadding in yet, at least with out sweat pants in chest highs.

Bound2Fish
06-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Depends on where you are camping or plan on fishing. Lots of good spots, I was there for May long and most of the Walleye we were catching were in the 6-8' range so they are in shallow and feeding pretty good. Like already stated the river mouth is a good spot and the spot I usually go for is around the power plant on the SW side but more info onto where you will be could help us narrow down a spot for you.

Dakota369
06-01-2012, 10:34 AM
If you are on the south side, and west of Canyon, the gov. dock in Faust is a great place to slay them from......

Good luck and enjoy, it's a great place to be......

Shmag
06-01-2012, 11:46 AM
I can't tell you how many hours I stood on that dock when I was growing up (or at the point between the back water and the river at the weir. I've also lost at least one fishing rod and several pickeral rigs to boats who veer way too close to the dock before I had a chance to reel in in anticipation of their passing by.

It's been at least 20 years and I still mourn the loss of that fishing rod!

Sorry to hear about your rod...i probably fished along side you on that pumphouse dock at one time, and always wondered why the boats would come so close...until i bought a boat and if you are too far away you are in really shallow water, the deep trough runs along the dock wall. Now i hate driving the boat along fishermen there because they probably think i'm just being a tool and wrecking there fishing spot,lol....either that or a new prop.

A couple yrs ago, i was taking my boy to the pumphouse. I noticed an older couple there as i drove up and didnt look like they were fishing so i thought we will drop a line. Well we parked off to the side and went to walk there and when i rounded around the pumphouse i noticed the older couple were playing "Doctor"...:free-scared-smileys,lol. So before the boy could see i spun him around and said lets go to the weir instead...lmao. And then my boy was like...."but but dad you said the best fishing is here"...lol

college-fisherman
06-01-2012, 05:58 PM
I will be staying in the provincial park, I don't mind driving a little bit tho to find a good spot. Everyone I am with will sleep till like noon and I am up at 4 everyday for work so i cant sleep in anymore, so I will have every morning to get a few hours of fishing in. Obviously the closer the spot the better but I am open to options.

college-fisherman
06-01-2012, 05:58 PM
And thanks for all the tips so far!

Shmag
06-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Guessing that is the martin river prov park ???

If so you can drive one day to the martin mountain lookout and if hiking is your thing you can hike down 3 k to a little trout lake (Lily lake). Beautiful view up there as well...road takes you up to the fire tower.

Also this time of year should be good fishing in front of the Martin campground beach, buy a cheap dingy and paddle out

BigA
06-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Sorry to hear about your rod...i probably fished along side you on that pumphouse dock at one time, and always wondered why the boats would come so close...until i bought a boat and if you are too far away you are in really shallow water, the deep trough runs along the dock wall. Now i hate driving the boat along fishermen there because they probably think i'm just being a tool and wrecking there fishing spot,lol....either that or a new prop.

A couple yrs ago, i was taking my boy to the pumphouse. I noticed an older couple there as i drove up and didnt look like they were fishing so i thought we will drop a line. Well we parked off to the side and went to walk there and when i rounded around the pumphouse i noticed the older couple were playing "Doctor"...:free-scared-smileys,lol. So before the boy could see i spun him around and said lets go to the weir instead...lmao. And then my boy was
like...."but but dad you said the best fishing is here"...lol

Lol!!!

BigA
06-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Always had good luck downstream of the weir myself. P-rig with minnows, and even better luck with a plain old Red devil. Even occaisionally foul hooked a lake whitefish or two.

Shmag
06-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Lol!!!

lol...yep they gave a whole new meaning to the "Pumphouse"