PDA

View Full Version : new trout pond

saltwater cowboy
03-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Hey guys, after a year of planning I got my trout pond dug. It's 3 sided with each side approx 80 ft long and 14 ft deep in the center. It's in a low spot a the back of my acreage so hopefully some run off and seepage will fill it, could take a year though! I guesstimate 100-150 thousand gallons.
Any advice on the pond from someone who's done it would be appreciated
Salty

Brian
03-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Congratulations on the new pond. I've had a bit of experience with a few. First thing is obvious.......need the water. For a considerable part the pond will get started itself. Waterfowl will introduce some invertebrates but you can help it along by moving some yourself. First though, it would likely be best to let it be for a bit until some aquatic growth starts, then you can catch some leaches from a local lake or slough, and hopefully some freshwater shrimp, and introduce them to the pond. I'm pretty sure there are no regulatory restrictions in doing so but it would be best to check. Also, there is a gov't. (I think) office in Lethbridge that provides information (free of charge) re: building (which you've already done) and developing/maintaining a healthy pond. I may have the contact information somewheres. I'll try to find it & let you know. Otherwise, try the internet or check with your local Agricultural office. I'm sure there's quite a bit of information out there. By the way, I'd really like to know what it cost you for the hoe work to get the pond dug as I'm considering doing the same. Good luck with your project!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-30-2008, 07:54 PM
I should get you in contact with my buddy he built a pretty large trout pond on his farm , he has it out there for the kids , he has a kids fishing derby and thats what they use , if you private message me or whatever leave me your e mail and I will get him to get in contact with you .

catnthehat
03-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Hey guys, after a year of planning I got my trout pond dug. It's 3 sided with each side approx 80 ft long and 14 ft deep in the center. It's in a low spot a the back of my acreage so hopefully some run off and seepage will fill it, could take a year though! I guesstimate 100-150 thousand gallons.
Any advice on the pond from someone who's done it would be appreciated
Salty

I may be dead wrong, but don't the biologist types recommend a depth of at least 20' to sustain trout in a pond?
Cat

Canuck44
03-30-2008, 08:01 PM
I may be dead wrong, but don't the biologist types recommend a depth of at least 20' to sustain trout in a pond?
Cat

Aeration, you can do it shallower.

03-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Ive heard that too , dont know if theres any truth in it but very well possible . Doesnt change the fact im a little jelious that its you having the pond not me lol , maybe I could dig one up in my back yard get in with the neiborghs and knock down our fences and dig a mega hole and stock it with Pike . Then I could feed the pike small animals lmao .

catnthehat
03-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Ive heard that too , dont know if theres any truth in it but very well possible . Doesnt change the fact im a little jelious that its you having the pond not me lol , maybe I could dig one up in my back yard get in with the neiborghs and knock down our fences and dig a mega hole and stock it with Pike . Then I could feed the pike small animals lmao .
With my luck I'd hit a natural gas line!!:o
Areation will work I guess, but like I said, I'm sure no expert, just heard it!:D
Cat

FishHound
03-30-2008, 08:36 PM
maybe I could dig one up in my back yard get in with the neiborghs and knock down our fences and dig a mega hole and stock it with Pike . Then I could feed the pike small animals lmao .

my wifes cat is getting on my nerves if you need something to feed them:lol:

Lethalconnection
03-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Pond looks great so far, send me a pm when you get some monsters growing in there;)

saltwater cowboy
03-30-2008, 09:35 PM
I do plan on aerating it with either a windmill or electric pump for not only the fish but I hear it helps reduce mosquito breeding. Found out there is a place near me that sells pond stuff so I will have to pick their brain. If I go electric I will have to trench in wire so I will probably wire some outlets for lights and a stereo. The wife wants me to build a little gazebo on the edge of the water but that will be a while yet.
Brian, the Hoe goes for about 140 an hour plus transporting it to the house. It took about 16 hours total dig time as it also had to load tandems to haul the clay away. Another guy wanted the clay so he paid for the trucking
I was very surprised to see the frost was only about a foot deep and no real moisture in the ground untill 3 feet.
Salty

Reeves1
03-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Looks like the slopes are too steep, and gouged. You'll end up with maybe 10' deep.
(operated excavators about 25 years & built more ponds than I care to remember )

When/if you stock it, try to get a shallow water species.

AlbertaAl
03-30-2008, 09:59 PM
In Alberta, every County requires you obtain a pemit for construction projects. They'll regulate not only the location on your property but the depth and slope are all factored in.
They have aerial photos of every quarter section and will recognize such improvements at a future date.
I know of a fellow who dug without a permit and was forced to haul dirt back to fill it.
Good luck with your project.

Versatile
03-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Dont count on it helping the mosquiots not breed. We have a pond in our backyard with a 5x turn over pump and a waterfall we stil had mosquitos until we went to the fish store and bough 100 of them little pink "feeder Minnows" now there is no mosquitos what so ever. They will feed your trout as well and they only get 2 or 3 inches long.

For all your invertebrate needs just go to a local pond and get a bunch (nothing less than 3 garbage cans FULL) of hornwart or the weeds you usually pull up. Looks like this.
http://www.pondepot.com/ProductImages/se13.jpg

It will be full of little shrimps and what not. Also makes for great spawning material for your trout and your feeder minnows. Makes great cover as well and is very hardy and easy to grow.

Some cattails and a some trees to give shade during the hot part of the day wouldnt be a bad idea either. Maybe some water lilly on one side.

saltwater cowboy
03-30-2008, 10:04 PM
went through the county months ago, all taken care of. The sides are not that steep as I can walk up them no problem

saltwater cowboy
03-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks Ryan, do the weeds go around the edges or deep as it fills?
salty

willy
03-31-2008, 12:07 AM
Doesnt sound like its very big we usually dig our dugouts 400000 gallons. The one we stock has areation and water running in all the time they live over all the time. We stock some others with no areation and they usually winter kill or summer kill they are about 18' deep when full but they dont stay that full long.

Versatile
03-31-2008, 04:43 AM
They will grow as deep as the light penetrates. I would guess somewhere around the 15 or 20 foot mark depending on water clairity.

Cover is going to big thing because of cats and pirds of prey.

catnthehat
03-31-2008, 06:20 AM
Thanks Ryan, do the weeds go around the edges or deep as it fills?
salty

Sooo, when is the "pond warming"?:D :lol:
Cat

aulrich
03-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Water temp might be an issue, a buddy almost lost his whole pond full once (rainbows) as the water temp went past 75F during a particularaly hot summer (Winniepeg area)

Would some rock piles be useful?

gube
03-31-2008, 09:17 PM
Have had a trout pond for about 3 years now. 40 yds wide , 60 yds long and 20 ft deep. The key in keeping your trout healthy is AERATION. The first year I only had a windmill, and had problems with algae in the summer. Since then I put in a small electric compressor and havn't had any more problems. I've got about 250 rainbows and about 150 brookies. Some of my rainbows are up to 25". Lots of fun. Cost me about 15,000 back then. Cost would probably be closer to 20 grand now.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m128/gube_2006/Flightpics051.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m128/gube_2006/Flightpics020.jpg

Buckwheat
03-31-2008, 09:30 PM
i really like your back yard gube!

gube
03-31-2008, 09:34 PM
i really like your back yard gube!

Thanks. Right now the coyotes like it to.
It's great being able to walk out in my slippers, 95 ft from the back of the house to the pond and use my fly rod to catch them bruisers.

chain2
03-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Gube nice place! Water table is right up huh?

SWC

We have a 180 x80 x18 dugout with windmill over-turn from one heavy rain run off. Naste stratified layers mix with the good water.
Large fields dump cold fresh water in and the rainbows wanted out so bad they would walked on land if they had legs. It happen twice actully once before the windmill. This was a 12 year old dug out so there time to develop.

[You probably already know] you need the pond [inspected] licenced to buy your fish. And should get you order in Jan. feb. I delt with Max at Smokies Trout Farm Red Deer. Good guy. He also will do pond testing o2 methane ph that kind of thing...

best of luck , little grows as fast as a fish when ya feed 'em ,chain

chain2
03-31-2008, 10:06 PM
Oh yah-get your bird book out and focus in on Blue Heron then flip quick to commerant...repeat..
know your enemy :lol:

inflatable "floatin aligator" spose to scare em off [they see them in florida I spose]
have fun...chain

saltwater cowboy
04-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Hey GUBE
Nice freakin pond!!! My yard is only 225 feet wide so it wouldn't even fit on my place, only got 3 acres. Did it fill naturally or did you pump in from the slough? How long did it take?
I don't plan on putting trout in for a least a year or two yet, just want to sort out the water thing first. I do plan on aeration, probably electric.
Some seem to think it's not big or deep enough for trout so if that is the case I will end up having a nice Koi pond, my budget was far from $20,000. If nothing else the birds will like it.
Salty

SNAPFisher
04-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Hats off to both of you! Growing fish can be so rewarding...in many ways. Lots of learning too.

I raised fish for 3 years but had to give up the pond to beavers. It was hard to get to so hard to be on beaver patrol.

I will be looking at building a new one close to the new home...might be a bit but I plan on following your leads.

I'm jealous...especially that you have both species....I miss those days.

wildman
04-01-2008, 11:52 AM
FANTASTIC JOB GUBE!!!!!!!!!!
WHAT WAS YOUR ADDESS AGAIN...:rolleyes:

04-01-2008, 01:00 PM
FANTASTIC JOB GUBE!!!!!!!!!!
WHAT WAS YOUR ADDESS AGAIN...:rolleyes: hahahhaha No doubt whens that tournament agian I think he was saying july .

gube
04-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Hey GUBE
Did it fill naturally or did you pump in from the slough? How long did it take?
Salty

It's naturally spring fed. Took about two weeks to fill

rhuntley12
04-03-2008, 09:23 AM
I'm jealous. I think if I ever got acreage a trout pond would be the first thing I put in, After the house of course, maybe.