PDA

View Full Version : Fishing near Williams Lake, BC

BigA
06-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Hey guys,

I am going on vacation in june to Williams lake and was thinking of doing some fishing while I was out there. Tried to google search places to go, but most suggestions came up telling me to go south to hwy 24 or north to Quesnel.

That won't be an option so I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for fishing closer to Williams lake. Obviously Williams lake is there, but was hoping for some stream fishing.

Is the Fraser river accessible near there? Are there any other streams that a guy can access fairly easily to wet a line?

Thanks in advance.

sureshot
06-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Head to 150 mile house then on to the likely highway this will take you to a few nice fishing spots. plus the quesnel river flows out of the lake in likely. Great trout fishing.

Andy

BigA
06-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks Andy. Will give that a try.

sureshot
06-01-2012, 08:12 PM
No problem. Stop in at Deacons pub in likely. I used to live there. Great fishing all around there.

Andy

Guy on a Buffalo
06-01-2012, 09:35 PM
No problem. Stop in at Deacons pub in likely. I used to live there. Great fishing all around there.

Andy

Used to fish Lac La Hache a lot. Went for kokanee. Was a great tasting fish!!

Teamprotz
06-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Been a few years , but caught some very nice rainbows on flies at Blue Lake. Its a no motor lake.

32-40win
06-02-2012, 01:17 AM
Fraser will be starting to run pretty good now, Quesnel & Horsefly are likely in the same boat. I would be looking at lakes this time of the year around there, Forest Lake, Jackson's Hole, Dugan, Polly. You can run up to Quesnel and fish Dragon. All of these are suitable for a float tube or a pontoon. Williams Lake used to have some decent trout in it ( I wouldn't eat one), some big squawfish ,too. Lac La Hache had some good stuff in it. Should have a boat on those two or Horsefly or Quesnel Lake. Horsefly River is a Classified Water river also.
And the Likely Hotel is a place to spend an interesting evening. Although I expect it is a little busier now with the mine is at Polly lake.
Palmer Lake out in the Chilcotin used to be good, Tatlayoko and Tatla are worth the trip.

sureshot
06-02-2012, 02:40 AM
I worked at the polly mine and lived in likely for 3 years. There are lots of little hidden treasures around that area.

Andy

fishstix
06-02-2012, 08:05 AM
i lived out that way for about ten years. Fish the horsefly river. Pay for the classified water liscence. If i were going i would only fish that river.

BeeGuy
06-02-2012, 10:10 AM
X2 blue lake

There some bigguns in there. Go deep off the corner of the island.

The old guy will prob lend you a canoe if it's not too busy.

Otherwise, try some potholes or the Horsefly.

Fletcher lake west of bills pond is loaded with 20" bows as well but they don't taste very good.

There is a life time of good fishing to be had in that area.

Enjoy!

BigA
06-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the info guys. All my fishing is c&r so the taste of fish isn't a concern for me. Will definitely look at blue lake and getting a classified license for the horsefly. I know that the Fraser will still be closed to salmon fishing, but I am going to be targeting trout.

Anyone ever fished the San Jose river? Or heard anything about it?

Thanks again guys.

Whiteysonly
06-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Hwy 24 it's called the fishing hwy for a reason. My inlaws live on horse lake I spend alot of time there. 100 mile would be my choice kokanee in horse huge rainbows in every other lake

BigA
06-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Well we are taking off for Williams lake on saturday. Bringing both the fly gear and the spinning gear. Any suggestions on patterns that might work out there? For both stream and lake fishing.

32-40win
06-29-2012, 02:18 AM
I used Dick Nites, 5 of diamonds, Mepps spinners, Flatfish.Can use Woolly Buggers, Spratleys, B52's, Damsels, there are lots of types of Mayflies, large and small, Tom Thumbs, Elk hairs, stones. Lot of different chironomids, some lakes have some big ones.
Stop in at the Little Fort fly shop.

BigA
06-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks. Wont be able to stop in at the little fort fly shop on the way. Heading there via Prince George this time. I think there is a fly shop in williams lake that I can stop in at and get some patterns.

BigA
07-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Made it out to Williams lake and picked up my license today. All the rivers in the area are completely blown out still, so we are going to hit up a couple of lakes tomorrow. Should be good.

BigA
07-02-2012, 08:14 PM
I hit up the Williams lake river today. It's a small stream that connects Williams lake to the Fraser river. Saw some bows, and saw an osprey take one, but no luck for me. Going out to the horsefly tomorrow.

Ttyl.

BigA
07-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Went and drove out to Likely today to fish the Quesnel River. Wasn't able to get a line in the water though, it poured rain for the whole time there. Heading home tomorrow through hwy 24, Little Fort, Clearwater, etc. I am hoping to stop for lunch somewhere along there and get my line in the north Thompson for a little bit if it isn't blown out like all the other rivers around here.