PDA

View Full Version : Stocked rainbows suck, wild rainbows rule. **PICS INCLUDED**

jacenbeers
06-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Today I decided to go for an afternoon fishing excursion and headed to my favorite fishing spot. I was hoping to get some rainbows for my smoker. I ended up with the following fish between 1 and 4 PM:

9 pike which were all 1-2 lbs
1 white sucker
2 walleyes
2 monster rainbows.

I am not a huge fan of fishing for stocked rainbows because size matters to me when it comes to rainbows and there are some awesome wild rainbows out there. Here are the two beasts I caught today.

The darker one measured 25 inches and he was a fat beast. The lighter one was just shy of 22 inches. You should be able to see the lengths on my measuring reservoir. They took up a lot of space in my dogs' kiddie pool before being prepped for smoking.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-81iPkMeq13I/T8riWWcJ_ZI/AAAAAAAAAbM/xE5ox_PDh4Q/s1600/25%2BIncher.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tQOqOsxC154/T8riWvW0iiI/AAAAAAAAAbY/gzssc4Hw4M8/s1600/22%2BIncher.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-s3xzdr3nG-0/T8riXEyFLwI/AAAAAAAAAbk/1Q0tgXTDOvw/s1600/BIG%2BTROUT.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5aCPuzajibU/T8riXZGCxyI/AAAAAAAAAbw/iBCjVswNgzI/s1600/DOUBLE%2BTROUT.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wPUnx0E9KXU/T8riNS03pnI/AAAAAAAAAbA/XhUlhJxRNik/s1600/KIDDIE%2BPOOL.jpg

BeeGuy
06-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Those are nice. I'm still trying to get my first coelocanth by centre street though.

What size sjw?

BeeGuy
06-02-2012, 10:35 PM
That male is awesome.

I got a 16-17" version of that one last night. little kype and still full of milt.

gorgeous.

jacenbeers
06-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Those are nice. I'm still trying to get my first coelocanth by centre street though.

What size sjw?

The smallest size. They are huge but they eat small.

jacenbeers
06-02-2012, 10:39 PM
That male is awesome.

I got a 16-17" version of that one last night. little kype and still full of milt.

gorgeous.

Both of mine in the pics were males and both were full of milt. We are going to hit lots of them tomorrow. See ya in the morning.

Alberta Bigbore
06-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Congrats, those are some epic fish!

ReconWilly
06-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Agreed, nothing beats a big wild bow. Nice fish.

Calgaryguy1977
06-02-2012, 11:39 PM
I wholeheartedly agree.....Ive fished for tons of Rainbows and not only are the stocked ones stupid and would rather feed on non natural food but they also dont fight even half as hard as a wild one......not even close!

quiteeye
06-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Them are some nice fish!

waterninja
06-02-2012, 11:43 PM
those are beauties. seen pics. of big browns out of the bow river, nice to know there are big rainbows also.
iv'e caught both wild and stocked rainbows and pound for pound didn't notice much difference in the fight, they both put up great fights though wild tastes better imho.

tallieho
06-03-2012, 06:05 AM
you cannot beat a fish for fight out of the bow in the cold water..but in order to keep up the gene pool going,by killing them you know that a wild fish can only repopulate by spawning,

75ft Arborist
06-03-2012, 07:30 AM
Nice hogs. The only fish i have caught above the weir have been suckers and rockys.

But am i missing something? Walleye, in the bow river.

How did you end up smoking the bows? Do you de-bone them first? I just bought a smoker last year. Looking for tricks and tips!

Sounds like you had an awesome day fishing.

jacenbeers
06-03-2012, 07:32 AM
you cannot beat a fish for fight out of the bow in the cold water..but in order to keep up the gene pool going,by killing them you know that a wild fish can only repopulate by spawning,

These were not caught in the Bow. I wouldn't eat a fish our of the dirty Bow. These fish cannot spawn due to where they live and had that confirmed by a biologist. When I used to fish there I would free them because I wanted them to reproduce but when I found out they couldn't I decided to keep one or two a year.

jacenbeers
06-03-2012, 07:34 AM
Nice hogs. The only fish i have caught above the weir have been suckers and rockys.

But am i missing something? Walleye, in the bow river.

How did you end up smoking the bows? Do you de-bone them first? I just bought a smoker last year. Looking for tricks and tips!

Sounds like you had an awesome day fishing.

I filleted them with just one small row of bones left in the fillet and then put them on the racks and lit up the smoker.

There are not walleye in the Bow until you get to Bassano. I was not fishing the Bow River. In fact, I am wondering why everybody is assuming that.

Geezle
06-03-2012, 08:01 AM

*sigh* :rolleyes:

Pikebreath
06-03-2012, 08:36 AM
These were not caught in the Bow. I wouldn't eat a fish our of the dirty Bow. These fish cannot spawn due to where they live and had that confirmed by a biologist. When I used to fish there I would free them because I wanted them to reproduce but when I found out they couldn't I decided to keep one or two a year.

If they can't reproduce there, these fish had to come from somewhere else. And if they aren't stockers,, then they likey had been flushed down through an irrigation canal most likely from the Bow (or Oldman) system.

Not that it hurts anything as these fish are "lost to the gene pool" anyways, but if your honey hole is fed by irrigation water from the Bow you may be eating those "dirty Bow" trout.

TROLLER
06-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Those dirty bow rainbows do get flushed down the canal.

I have over the years caught several 20 inch plus rainbow out of Lake Mcgregor.

Never seen it but have heard from several guys that they have caught bows out of Traverse as well.

Dirty fish getting into the system. shameful.

bessiedog
06-03-2012, 10:25 AM
I agree for the most part...
But there's something about the bows stocked in BC ... They seem to fight like they got rabies or sumpthing... Try Summit or Edwards, I think they stack up against the bow.

Dust1n
06-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Kamloopers to be exact fight like hell^^

TyreeUM
06-03-2012, 10:35 AM

Im confused as well....these are wild fish...but they don't reproduce...so these are stocked wild fish?

highwood
06-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Im confused as well....these are wild fish...but they don't reproduce...so these are stocked wild fish?

Haha......I could open the can of worms about no rainbows in the southern half of Alberta being "wild"....but I won't

fishpro
06-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Haha......I could open the can of worms about no rainbows in the southern half of Alberta being "wild"....but I won't

What do you mean? There are rainbows that are wild in southern Alberta, there just aren't any that are native.

Mattattack
06-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Beauty fish.

Thanks for sharing.

Gust
06-03-2012, 11:23 AM
What do you mean? There are rainbows that are wild in southern Alberta, there just aren't any that are native.

Seek and ye shall find,, some people put in the time to find them it takes effort and patience but eventually you will, and then you will get quiet too

TomE
06-03-2012, 11:48 AM
I filleted them with just one small row of bones left in the fillet and then put them on the racks and lit up the smoker.

There are not walleye in the Bow until you get to Bassano. I was not fishing the Bow River. In fact, I am wondering why everybody is assuming that.

Your Tagline..
All caught on the fly in the Bow River under the Centre Street bridge in Calgary using small San Juan Worms.

Gust
06-03-2012, 11:53 AM
[/B]

Your Tagline..
All caught on the fly in the Bow River under the Centre Street bridge in Calgary using small San Juan Worms.

An irishman who cant spot sarcasm,,, you are losing it tom,, you need to brush up on your joyce.

Dust1n
06-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Gustav-Care to go into some detail with those "Wild" southern rainbows?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-03-2012, 02:03 PM

And the Fisheries Biologist speak ....... That fish has spawned many times . Who cares how you feel , he is in his right to keep them and good on him for that .

Daceminnow
06-03-2012, 04:38 PM
If they can't reproduce there, these fish had to come from somewhere else. And if they aren't stockers,, then they likey had been flushed down through an irrigation canal most likely from the Bow (or Oldman) system.
Not that it hurts anything as these fish are "lost to the gene pool" anyways, but if your honey hole is fed by irrigation water from the Bow you may be eating those "dirty Bow" trout.

:happy0034:

Those dirty bow rainbows do get flushed down the canal.

I have over the years caught several 20 inch plus rainbow out of Lake Mcgregor.

Never seen it but have heard from several guys that they have caught bows out of Traverse as well.

Dirty fish getting into the system. shameful.

:happy0034:

Seek and ye shall find,, some people put in the time to find them it takes effort and patience but eventually you will, and then you will get quiet too

:scared0018:

BeeGuy
06-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Are those 2n or 3n?

jacenbeers
06-03-2012, 08:55 PM
They are actually combined 2N and 3N so that would be 5N. Quintloids.

BeeGuy
06-03-2012, 09:35 PM
They are actually combined 2N and 3N so that would be 5N. Quintloids.

Pentaloid Rainbows.

I hear they have those in Sibbald.

Did you get those on the orange marshmallows?

jacenbeers
06-03-2012, 10:23 PM
I was using a harpoon off of the stern of my ship actually.

TyreeUM
06-03-2012, 10:29 PM

are you being serious?

isoseeker
06-03-2012, 10:46 PM
are you being serious?

Trust me, both Beeyguy & jacenbeers are serious and they know their fishing tatics...:bad_boys_20:

Gust
06-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Trust me, both Beeyguy & jacenbeers are serious and they know their fishing tatics...:bad_boys_20:

Liar liar pants on fire!!!!!

BeeGuy
06-03-2012, 10:56 PM

That's the best way to get them.

You wait for them to breach for air, and when they show themselves you light the wick on the 'poon canon.

ReconWilly
06-03-2012, 11:39 PM

You wait for them to breach for air, and when they show themselves you light the wick on the 'poon canon.

What ever happened to using the good old electric bug zapper? Trout slaying made easy...:scared0018:

TyreeUM
06-04-2012, 07:50 AM

Is "'poon canon" the brand you use? I am interested in trying this method but I am on Bass Pro website and am having a hard time finding these items. I googled that brand but my work computer says I am denied access to all the sites that have tagged that specific brand...

Heavy K
06-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Is "'poon canon" the brand you use? I am interested in trying this method but I am on Bass Pro website and am having a hard time finding these items. I googled that brand but my work computer says I am denied access to all the sites that have tagged that specific brand...

I was just going to suggest that people wait until they get home before googling that...

Geezle
06-04-2012, 09:12 AM
:lol: @ "poon cannon"

ericlin0122
06-04-2012, 09:20 AM
I am not a huge fan of fishing for stocked rainbows because size matters

you have no idea what you are talking about. your sjw won't catch you big fish in BC lakes.

TyreeUM
06-04-2012, 10:02 AM
you have no idea what you are talking about. your sjw won't catch you big fish in BC lakes.

thats a great point, I heard they don't work well for taimen in Mongolia either...stupid San Juan Worm...useless

jacenbeers
06-04-2012, 10:51 AM

The only way to get a poon cannon these days is to hire a guide in the Caribbean to take you on a diving trip to try and find one in an old shipwreck. Last year BeeGuy and I went on a dive and found an old ruined ship and harvested the cannons and then we had them restored to near mint condition. Now we use them for harpooning 25 inch rainbows.

jacenbeers
06-04-2012, 10:53 AM

My San Juan Worm would be pretty useless in BC. I dont think I ever said anything about using it in BC. I use them for more exotic species like coelocanth and mahi mahi because they are really attracted to the wiggle of a small red worm. Outside of the Bow River below the Centre Street Bridge in Calgary, they are pretty useless.

jacenbeers
06-04-2012, 10:54 AM

Congrats on catching your sandy pike by the way and adding it to your fish list of 2012. It was an epic battle.

BeeGuy
06-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks man.

Good to see a well placed..never mind im gonna get banned.

Anyhow, would have liked to deep fry that sander pike, maybe next time.

BGSH
06-04-2012, 11:34 AM
:angry3:

Gust
06-04-2012, 11:49 AM
:angry3:

Why the long face muffin?

Was it something he said?

Were you a hall monitor in junior high?

ReconWilly
06-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Why the long face muffin?

Was it something he said?

Were you a hall monitor in junior high?

He's mad bro.

Theres no harvestable 26'' bows in the NSR, cut him some slack, i'd be ****ed too if all i could do was smack 30'' eyes at will.:sign0161:

Gust
06-04-2012, 01:47 PM
He's mad bro.

Theres no harvestable 26'' bows in the NSR, cut him some slack, i'd be ****ed too if all i could do was smack 30'' eyes at will.:sign0161:

Ahhhhn, I see. My apologies to bgsh for thinking he wanted to toss bee and jace into the water for wanting to bbq a pickeral.

I'd be miffed to if all I could catch were trophy eyes out my back door,,,,,

Nah, I am lying,, southern alberta rules.

Gust
06-04-2012, 01:51 PM

They work really well for pinks om a flyrod on the sunshine coast though. I bet they'd work pretty much anywhere and with most species.

Heck, with the right guage of wire you could make a stunning marlin or tuna variety,

TyreeUM
06-04-2012, 02:56 PM
They work really well for pinks om a flyrod on the sunshine coast though. I bet they'd work pretty much anywhere and with most species.

Heck, with the right guage of wire you could make a stunning marlin or tuna variety,

seen it done, they used an oil drum for an indicator.

isoseeker
06-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Man, this thread hit the toilet fast. Congrats to Beeyguy & jacenbeers with your awesome catches...both of you guys rock on with your SJW on...:bad_boys_20:

BeeGuy
06-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks iso!

Jacen gets full credit here :)

And whoever invented bobber fishing with a synthetic worm on fly gear is a genius!

chubbdarter
06-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Oh my gawd did a fish die and someone ate it?

BeeGuy
06-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Oh my gawd did a fish die and someone ate it?

bahahaha, yep

I was concerned that those buck bows in party mode would be a little off, but they are deep orange or pink fleshed and delicious.

chubbdarter
06-04-2012, 07:05 PM
bahahaha, yep

I was concerned that those buck bows in party mode would be a little off, but they are deep orange or pink fleshed and delicious.

right on......i was starting to worry there is a note on many commercial fish coating mix boxes that the contents are delisious on pork and chicken also.

When did we stop eating fish and start catching chickens and pigs in our waterways.

Good on you guys, may a selective harvest keep a tradition alive. FISH ARE YUMMY