PDA

View Full Version : Spruce Meadows Tonight

fishingmaster2097
06-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Headed out to spruce meadows pond tonight for about an hour and a half. They had just stocked it last weekend. Saw lots of risers and jumpers. This one guy had just caught one as I got there and then left, it was a pretty good size.

I then cast out my new blue fox spinners and nothing, a few more casts went by and then all of a sudden a nibble. I missed him on the hook set and he then followed it up all the way to the dock. Then nothing for the rest of the day. There was a lot more people there as well. They didn't catch anything either. I also saw lots and lots and I mean lots of minnows, ranging from 1-1.5 inches long. Soon they will grow up and become catching size. It sure is a nice pond though. I also tried worms on a slip bobber but nothing there as well. Tight Lines and Wet Nets Everybody!

Does anyone have any tips on what I should use to help me catch some fish there? What works there? Thank you.

Thank You Very Much,
Kyle

BobLoblaw
06-03-2012, 05:36 PM
I was there Friday morning & got half a dozen 12-14 inchers before the sun climbed above the trees. Then, the rises stopped & I left. Got 'em on a small parachute Adams & another parachute dry fly with a yellow body.

fishingmaster2097
06-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Ok, I will have to go buy that fly. Sounds pretty good. It's a dry fly right? Where on the pond did you go? and what would you recommend for spinfishing this pond?

Andrew
06-03-2012, 06:38 PM
my dad had some luck with some decent sized ones right in tight to the fountain.

Bob, what size are the flies you are using?

BobLoblaw
06-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Ok, I will have to go buy that fly. Sounds pretty good. It's a dry fly right? Where on the pond did you go? and what would you recommend for spinfishing this pond?

Yeah, it's a dry fly.
You've started fly fishing, right? If that's the case, I don't recommend spinfishing this pond at all. It's a great place to practice your casting & different techniques- dry fly, nymphing, stripping streamers, hopper-dropper; they all work there at different times.

BobLoblaw
06-03-2012, 07:40 PM
my dad had some luck with some decent sized ones right in tight to the fountain.

Bob, what size are the flies you are using?

Size 14-16 :)

BobLoblaw
06-03-2012, 07:44 PM
I also saw lots and lots and I mean lots of minnows, ranging from 1-1.5 inches long. Soon they will grow up and become catching size.

Those are minnows, not trout fry; they'll never grow to catching size, but they will serve as food for the trout. Once the trout settle in, they'll start eating them; then, you'll be able to catch 'em on a small streamer that resembles the minnows.