PDA

View Full Version : It doesn't take a lot (fishin' on a budget!)

Geezle
06-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Had a great day out on the lake today. Hooked up with AppleJax and we headed out to a small lake in the area. Picked this lake because it's nice and sheltered, and we needed to work a couple hiccups out of my motor and it's a safe place to do it.

My boat's seriously nothing fancy...12' aluminum with a couple patches and a 9.9hp Merc that I just recently acquired. Added in a couple seats (thanks horsetrader, wherever you are!) and that's pretty much where I'm at. I also have a used sonar I got from another forum member that still needs to be hooked up as well.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/IMG-20120603-00527.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/IMG-20120603-00537.jpg

We fished for the better part of the afternoon and got a pile of pike...a couple were legal size, and one got bonked and made into shore lunch. Oil, flour, Mrs. Dash, and lemon pepper, cooked up in a cast iron pan on a Coleman pack stove. I've gotta say, I'm really impressed with the little stove...it heated up the oil in the cast iorn pan quick! Wicked shore lunch! :sHa_shakeshout:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/IMG-20120603-00529.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/IMG-20120603-00531.jpg

Looking forward to doing this again soon!

I guess this is just to say that there's hope for those of us who can't afford a boat that's worth more than our vehicles plus all the gear to go in it. It seems like I have a lot of stuff...and I guess I kinda do, but I've been building it up for a while now, and if you keep at it things will come together in the end. None of my stuff is super high end gear, but it's within my means, and it gets the job done, getting me out fishing and enjoying what we have here :)

New2Fishing
06-03-2012, 10:49 PM
awesome... fish looks good...

Alberta Bigbore
06-03-2012, 10:50 PM
good stuff man. Nope, it doesnt take much. I lways have as much fun in a tinner as I do a big walleye boat.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-03-2012, 11:20 PM
I rocked the Old 12 ft fiberglass boat for probably 15 years of my fishing life , then moved up to a Searscraft 14 footer now my 18 ft tracker . Loved them all but defently feel way safer in my tracker .

Good set up buddy .

ReconWilly
06-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Good stuff Geezle, adapt, overcome and conquer all obstacles.

BeeGuy
06-03-2012, 11:28 PM
That's awesome.

I'm pretty much doing what you are. I've got the 16' square back canoe with the electric motor and portable sonar.

It can't really handle the larger reservoirs, but it has the advantage of no engine, and no trailer. I can carry it anywhere and can launch places you can't get a real boat.

There's tradeoffs in everything.

Do you have a plan for rod holders? I'm working on putting together the most questionable holders ever made out of pvc and 2x4 scraps.

Fishtastic!

Geezle
06-04-2012, 08:09 AM
That's awesome.

I'm pretty much doing what you are. I've got the 16' square back canoe with the electric motor and portable sonar.

It can't really handle the larger reservoirs, but it has the advantage of no engine, and no trailer. I can carry it anywhere and can launch places you can't get a real boat.

There's tradeoffs in everything.

Do you have a plan for rod holders? I'm working on putting together the most questionable holders ever made out of pvc and 2x4 scraps.

Fishtastic!

I have a little 35lb thrust MinnKota that I got with the boat last year that I'll hang on to as well...just in case I decide to take it out somewhere that's electric only...or just as a bit of a backup if something happens to the gasser.

For rod holders right now I have a Berkley one mounted on the middle seat, but I don't like the location or the holder. The boat has 4 rod holder mounts on the sides, but I can't find a holder that fits in those mounts :huh: I saw Cabelas has some decent looking holders for about $20...I'll probably just grab one or two of those and replace the old mounts on the side of the boat.

Geezle
06-04-2012, 08:12 AM
good stuff man. Nope, it doesnt take much. I lways have as much fun in a tinner as I do a big walleye boat.

Yup, now I've just gotta get brave enough to rock this little boat on the river! :sHa_shakeshout:

Deer Hunter
06-04-2012, 08:24 AM
I love it. That's the boat real men fish out of.

Paul C
06-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Mr. Geezle are you going to name the boat. S.S Geezle or the O.M. Geezle

Geezle
06-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Mr. Geezle are you going to name the boat. S.S Geezle or the O.M. Geezle

Hmmmm...never even thought about naming her...I need to come up with something a little more witty than just S.S. Geezle though...:thinking-006:

Pretty sure S.S. Minnow is already taken though...

http://www.gilligansisle.com/images/minnow_big.jpg

TyreeUM
06-04-2012, 09:08 AM
good post! I do all of my fishing out of a 12 foot 1980's aluminum (I do have a brand new yamaha motor for it though...) or a float tube. We don't seem to have a problem finding and catching big fish in this set up one bit. I wouldn't recommend this setup for tournaments though haha.

Paul C
06-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Hmmmm...never even thought about naming her...I need to come up with something a little more witty than just S.S. Geezle though...:thinking-006:

Pretty sure S.S. Minnow is already taken though...

http://www.gilligansisle.com/images/minnow_big.jpg
I named my boat the P.B. PORK CHOP. Why because pork fat rules...:sHa_shakeshout:

Geezle
06-04-2012, 09:13 AM
I nameded my boat the P.B. PORK CHOP. Why because pork fat rules...:sHa_shakeshout:

What's the P.B. stand for?

Paul C
06-04-2012, 09:14 AM
What's the P.B. stand for?
Pontoon Boat.......

Geezle
06-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Pontoon Boat.......

Ahh gotcha.

H.M.C.S. Pork Rind has a nice ring to it...:thinking-006:

Or maybe S.S. Pilsner :burp:

Paul C
06-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Ahh gotcha.

H.M.C.S. Pork Rind has a nice ring to it...:thinking-006:

Or maybe S.S. Pilsner :burp:
Only use real Canadian beer names for the water craft.

jpohlic
06-04-2012, 09:29 AM
My boat's seriously nothing fancy...12' aluminum with a couple patches

I bought a 12' aluminum about 10 years ago for $300. I call it the SS Leaks-A-Little (More)

It had a 10hp Chrysler that puked gas out the carb and needed a new throttle mechanism. I sold the engine and put a 55lb electric on it. Runs all day on one battery and moves along pretty good! The boat was so well used that the keels were worn right off from being dragged on the ground. Later it developed a 4" crack in the bottom that I fixed with roofing tar covered by a piece of tin and at least a dozen rivets. It's held for a few years now so the only other leaks are a few of the original rivets.

Just curious how others have patched their aluminum boats without calling a welder?

Alberta Bigbore
06-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Yup, now I've just gotta get brave enough to rock this little boat on the river! :sHa_shakeshout:

if you do I have a great place that's easier to boat to than hike to near the fort

Paul C
06-04-2012, 09:48 AM
if you do I have a great place that's easier to boat to than hike to near the fort
Jay could launch the boat at the Fort Sask. trout pond.

Rumtan
06-04-2012, 09:55 AM
My little inflatable is called "Cirhosis of the River"

Geezle
06-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Jay could launch the boat at the Fort Sask. trout pond.

I was thinking about that...though I'd have to be *really* careful...IIRC it's quite shallow around that launch

BeeGuy
06-04-2012, 10:52 AM
My little inflatable is called "Cirhosis of the River"

Hahahahaha

Geezle
06-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Hahahahaha

X2 :lol:

FlareKing
06-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Nice setup! Wish I had the room to have a boat like that!!

buckbrushoutdoors
06-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Nothing wrong with a good tiner! Try your fish on a open fire and a cast iron pan, you will never go back to a stove again.

AppleJax
06-04-2012, 04:20 PM
I rocked the Old 12 ft fiberglass boat for probably 15 years of my fishing life , then moved up to a Searscraft 14 footer now my 18 ft tracker . Loved them all but defently feel way safer in my tracker .

Good set up buddy .

I'm thinking a Team Tracker VS. Team Tinner is in order!! :fighting0074:

chubbdarter
06-04-2012, 05:15 PM
My boat's seriously nothing fancy...12' aluminum with a couple patches and a 9.9hp Merc that I just recently acquired. Added in a couple seats (thanks horsetrader, wherever you are!)

Anyone want the telly number for Horse's Tackle Warehouse?

Houston270
06-04-2012, 09:07 PM
I took my 14 foot aluminum in and got a spray in truck boxliner sprayed on the inside of the boat, it worked great for $350 stays pretty much 100% dry now

tara_13
06-04-2012, 09:23 PM
love you dinnerware !! Your boat is awesome...

:sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout:

jungleboy
06-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Great setup, it's not about what you have ,it's about what you do with what you have.
I know a guy that has all the latest greatest stuff and he keeps it pristine by never getting out and using it.

Geezle
06-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Nothing wrong with a good tiner! Try your fish on a open fire and a cast iron pan, you will never go back to a stove again.

I hear what you're sayin'! Got the cast iron part covered but a fire wasn't an option where we were yesterday, so the little pack stove had to do :)

Geezle
06-04-2012, 11:31 PM
love you dinnerware !! Your boat is awesome...

:sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout:

That's not the dinnerware...that's just the stuff I use for lunch.

For dinnerware I'll go so far as to break out some paper plates instead of just paper towels! :sHa_shakeshout:

DiabeticKripple
06-04-2012, 11:35 PM
i picked up a 14' springbok with a 80's 15hp evinrude for $850. motor runs perfect (had 5 hours on it, barely used) and no leaks in the boat. got a rack for it for $300 and we were fishing.

we got the boat up to 30km/h on PCR. things pretty quick

Cal
06-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Good stuff, for some reason AB in general and my area in particular is full of avid fisherman holding out untill they can afford that tournament boat they've always wanted. In the mean time (often years or even decades or more) they miss out on alot of quality fishing just because they refuse to settle for a boat that they can actualy afford. My first canoe was a peice of junk but it imediatly upped my success rate by about 5x. Be like Jay, quit day dreaming and start catching more fish.