PDA

View Full Version : cleaning up algae lakes

Booner1
06-04-2012, 09:10 AM
someone mentioned to me that they were and have cleaned up some lakes that had alot of algae? is this true and what method are they using or is he FOS?

Redfrog
06-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Zebra mussels sure cleaned up the lakes in the east.

densa44
06-04-2012, 06:30 PM
These fish eat algae but some times the cure is worse than the disease, read about zebra muscles.

BeeGuy
06-04-2012, 06:40 PM
someone mentioned to me that they were and have cleaned up some lakes that had alot of algae? is this true and what method are they using or is he FOS?

just reducing the amount of agricultural runoff can make a huge difference.

phosphorous especially

Drewski Canuck
06-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Some of the realities of Alberta is shallow lakes with no outlet stream. Result is the lake stagnates and there is a buildup of Phospates. Other problem is the PH is perfect for algae. Sediment samples on Baptiste Lake indicates it always had algae blooms. Lately the algae is so bad that you could cut it into blocks to make giant green igloos.

Changing the PH was tried on Baptiste with modest success by dumping lime. Too little was apparently used, and it was deemed to expensive.

Alternative is to try and cut down the phospates from farm operations and from the cabins and towns around the lakes. Phospates take years to dissipate from the water where there is no good discharge flow.

Not being a water quality scientist, all I could imagine is finding a way to isolate the phospates from the lake water with some sort of chemical treatment. Of course that would never happen if it could be done.

In the mean time, all we can do is hope that the towns and farm operations take some steps to fix the further inflow of fertilizers and nutrients.

Drewski