PDA

View Full Version : Perch in the summer.

#1younggun
06-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Whats the best way to fish for perch in the summer? I have only ever caught them in the winter and have no clue what to do. I Found a nice hole filled with them at a local lake but couldn't land any we tried everything but no success. My only guess would be that it was the wrong time of day and they just were not feeding.

fishingmaster2097
06-04-2012, 12:50 PM
What I sometimes do is:

First take a slip bobber and put one to two slip shot weights a about a4 inches below the bobber and then tip the hook (remember perch have small mouths, so always use small hooks) with a small piece of worm or a whole worm or even a maggot or two.

Or you can try and buy a small small husky jerk from Rapala and buy it in light blue or silver colour and I have had some luck wit that.

Hope This Helps and Tight Lines and Wet Nets!

Kyle

The-Legend
06-04-2012, 12:56 PM
X2 on the slip bobber, split shot and small hooks with worms/maggots.
Flies and wire worms with a maggot also works very well for me too.

Drewski Canuck
06-04-2012, 01:36 PM
slip bobber is correct. Split shot is correct. Small rubber tail jig is ALMOST the solution.

I don't mind sharing the secret with all of you as I know most are too timid, or maybe I'm just that crazy.

Go in the shallows, and start turning over logs, sticks, etc. grab the dragon fly nymphs and small leeches off the underside and put them in a jar of water.

I have annoyingly caught fish after fish off the trestle at Missawawii in the old days, right beside other fishermen, who could not figure out what the difference was. The perch could actually be seen swimming away from the other fisherman's hooks when the nymphs and leeches started wiggling.

Drewski

#1younggun
06-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

climid
06-04-2012, 11:18 PM
never tried perch, where would be a good place to try to catch some near calgary?

Kim473
06-05-2012, 05:02 AM
I like worms in the summer. Will cast a tiny rubber tailed jig into the bullrushes and retreive, works too. The perch like to hide in them for cover in the summer to get out of the sun and hide from pike. Remember small hooks.

TROLLER
06-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Just for times like that you should always have the smallest chubby dartar in your box.

The perch can't stand it and have to attack.