PDA

View Full Version : If you could keep the fish you've caught in house aquariums...

B-rett
06-04-2012, 04:01 PM
I'm new here so forgive me if this thread has been made already. Just curious on what kind of fish you guys would have in an aquarium IF you could keep them? Personally I find perch the coolest fish and would love to have an aquarium full of them.

Okotokian
06-04-2012, 04:04 PM
You mean that's illegal?????

Be right back. :scared0018:

FishlessFool
06-04-2012, 04:11 PM
General regs say, "it is unlawfull to... Possess live GAME FISH – unless the fish have been lawfully caught by angling and are within 5 metres of the waters from which they were caught."

So could you do it with non game fish like suckers?

AppleJax
06-04-2012, 04:39 PM
General regs say, "it is unlawfull to... Possess live GAME FISH – unless the fish have been lawfully caught by angling and are within 5 metres of the waters from which they were caught."

No, the regs say you must immediately kill all baitfish you intend to keep.

Gust
06-04-2012, 04:47 PM
IF??? I Could keep an aquarium with fish I've caught??? Well, if I could have a tank that was 40 feet long 12 feet high and width. Hmmmm, burbot are extremely graceful as are pike. Thinking about the creepy albino trout at Bass Pro, I'd say no to trout. I'd make my tank like those swimming pools where theres flow.

Hmmmmm?????

Burbot definitely burbot, that would be my choice.

Although brook trout have that awesome red to them that's so mesmerising while ice fishing.....

Burbot

Ken07AOVette
06-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Brookies and rainbows, way more fun than a perch. They aggressively feed, perch just......meh.

My aquarium would be 30' long so they could build up a head of steam! :fighting0074:

Killerb
06-04-2012, 05:00 PM

Awe that's too bad. I would grow a rainbow until it beat the B.C. record, put a hook in it's mouth and throw it in the lake. Then I would reel it in and act like I just broke the record.

Redfrog
06-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Legal considerations aside, I did have a freshwater tank going when I lived in a land far, far , away.

I had one small mouth, three perch and a half dozen pumpkinseeds, as well as a small painted turtle and a bullfrog.
The tank was 108 gallons. It was a very entertaining. Somehow I managed to strike a natural balance. I had a full bottom filter and natural plants. I had to add water every week or so as it evaporated, but otherwise almost zero maintenance.

I fed chopped worms and live minnows. I would dip minnows from the river and dump the whole works into the tank. The fish and the turtle would feed immediately and the remaining minnows would be eaten as required. I had a wire screen for a lid and when a house fly would land on the mesh one of the sunfish would jump for it, often knocking it into the water, where it was fast food.

I fed the bullfrog moths and grass hoppers or bits of worm on a piece of mono line waved in front of his face. His tongue would roll out about 10-12 inches and he would slurp his dinner in. I actually was fly fishing when I caught him. I was taking a rest with my rod pointed behind me and the fly waving in the breeze. I didn't know the bullfrog was there till he took the fly. Things did indeed get western.

One evening my buddy who was visiting from Winnipeg and I had few drinks of rum. Well boys will be boys and soon the fly rod came out. I cut the hook/barb off , took the lid off the tank and we sat on the couch fishing in the tank. We laughed like two fools just getting set up, but we sure got yelled at by the wives when we woke them up with our racket when Bob caught the bass.:sHa_shakeshout:

I eventually dumped them all in Sundance.:thinking-006:

I'm kidding , that's not even legal you know.:snapoutofit:

They all went back into the pond they came from.:)

BeeGuy
06-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Ya too bad none of that stuff is legal anymore.

Many years ago the young beeguy found hatchling snapping turtles at his grandpa's lake and thought they would make great pets.

They sure did.

They gorged on feeder goldfish until they were about 8" in diameter, which didnt take long.

We learned at some point that there was some kinda law against it and released them into a nearby pond which incidentally, was home to both goldfish and snapping turtles.

nom nomn nomnonm

Redfrog
06-04-2012, 05:35 PM
I've caught lots of snappers from very small to very large. How long would it take for one to get to 8 inches. any guess on a 30 inch diameter?

BeeGuy
06-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Ours grew really fast because they had a near endless food source and were housed at room temperature. Those big 30" wild snappers are likely several decades old.

ogre
06-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Most likely a sturgeon and a few graylings. Both look almost ornamental.

Kingfisher
06-04-2012, 09:34 PM
I love the colors of brook trout and cuthroat trout.

Rob

chubbdarter
06-04-2012, 09:42 PM
I've caught lots of snappers from very small to very large. How long would it take for one to get to 8 inches. any guess on a 30 inch diameter?

i got only one recomeendation for a 30 inch snapper......tie on a life line if your a skinny dude

BigA
06-04-2012, 09:58 PM
You mean that's illegal?????

Be right back. :scared0018:

lol!!

Albertafisher
06-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Either goldeye, bull trout, or RMW

Sheepriverrules
06-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Id have Arctic grayling and Bullies. The one is small and graceful while the other is just a brute.

Iwoundn't keep them for long because if you se them in bass pro they start to look unhealthy after awihle and start to become more like lake fish.