PDA

View Full Version : Outboard fin, or 4 blade prop?

Cal
06-05-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm thinking about getting an outboard fin, I've heard that it will let me plane at lower speeds which sounds apealing for when things get rough out here. Reading into it though the advantages of a 4 blade prop seem to be the same as the planing fin. Since I need to get a new prop anyways I'm wondering which way to go. Thanks

Ken07AOVette
06-05-2012, 09:26 AM
going from 3-4 blade will get you up on plane faster, but you will lose a little top speed. More so with a 5 blade prop, both ways.

I always use a whaletail, and a 5 blade. I like to scream up on plane.

TROLLER
06-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Go with the fin. It will for sure get you on plane faster especially with a few people on board.

Teamprotz
06-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Fin for sure and by far the cheapest option. Need to have extra power to spin a 4 blade. Ran one for years on two different boats but 3 blade is definitely faster. My new boat came with a high five , but I put my 3 blade on because the five needed repair. With the 3 blade the kids needed to get out and push to get on plane.

208prov
06-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Fin for sure and by far the cheapest option. Need to have extra power to spin a 4 blade. Ran one for years on two different boats but 3 blade is definitely faster. My new boat came with a high five , but I put my 3 blade on because the five needed repair. With the 3 blade the kids needed to get out and push to get on plane.

3 blades are not always faster. i have a tempest 21 and my rev 4 21 is 1 mph faster, I dont turn the tempest 22 very well either. Rev 4 work great on the 208 when loaded down, But i need to down pitch for faster hole shot, I Have hit 62.1 on my 208 with wind 3/4 tank of fuel livewell full, Best day and conditions of course.

Teamprotz
06-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Both our Astros were faster on 3 blades than the trophy. Dad has a 21 Enertia but I would like a 22 for it. My Targa is just a pig , needs more than the 200 it has to move it properly. I like my speed.

Tredeb
06-05-2012, 01:30 PM
A boat that is set up correctly should not need a tail/fin unless you need to compensate for an unbalanced load.

You need to get your engine height correct first then get the right pitch prop to allow you to hit max RPM on your engine. You should be able to see your anti ventilation plate at, or above, the surface of the water when you are on plane.

FWIW most boats are rigged with the engine too low when they come from the dealer.

208prov
06-05-2012, 01:34 PM
i would like to try a enertia 22p also, I got the jack plate so i can get my rpms but i need a better hole shot prop.

benamen
06-05-2012, 03:34 PM
i would like to try a enertia 22p also, I got the jack plate so i can get my rpms but i need a better hole shot prop.

To get a better hole shot, you can remove the plastic plugs on the props if they have them. This allows the prop to spin easier at low speeds without affecting the top end. If you go up in pitch, make sure you can maintain at least 90% of the max rpm your motor is rated for.

PlayDoh
06-05-2012, 04:20 PM
I can't personally vouch for these, but I've read lots of people at iboats.com say their good. Their available as an option on brand new Boats so that has to say something.

http://www.nauticusinc.com/index.html

They have videos and the tabs can be fairly easily adjusted or folded up. I've used a 'doel fin' like hydrofoil but I don't think it helped much if at all. Hard to imagine all those Marine engine designers wouldn't have applied some kind of remedy or device.

Just my thoughts.

jeprli
06-05-2012, 04:47 PM
I've used 200 se sport wing on my 9.9hp to run a 16ft aluminum tub. It is much more stable in choppy water now, and gets on plane quick. Its a light boat so any changes are noticed easily, don't really know how it would work with bigger heavier and more powerful boats.

Kingfisher
06-05-2012, 04:49 PM
I have used the dolphin fin on a few different boats. They work great.

Rob

Teamprotz
06-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Dads is jacked , mine was and if budget allows there will be one on the Targa. Its already as high as it will go. Spent my allowance on another Hds 8.

catnthehat
06-05-2012, 06:02 PM
I would not consider buying a boat without a dolphin or other type of system on an outboard.
I have used them on 4 different types of boats with motors ranging from 20 to 90 horses, and they sure do improve the low end planing ability, hole shot advantage and help stop porpoising tremendously.
Cat

Unregistered user
06-05-2012, 08:56 PM
They also make a good swim step for getting in the boat, will slightly reduce top end speed and make the boat lean more in turns, but they do help lower end boat performance especially in a poorly set-up rig.

Teamprotz
06-05-2012, 10:14 PM
They also make a good swim step for getting in the boat, will slightly reduce top end speed and make the boat lean more in turns, but they do help lower end boat performance especially in a poorly set-up rig.

Spoken like a true Lund owner !:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Unregistered user
06-06-2012, 05:08 AM
Spoken like a true Lund owner !:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Four Winns, but I've owned quite a few brands and styles over the years.:)