PDA

View Full Version : wabamun c'n'r!!!!!

wildman
04-01-2008, 08:44 AM
just in case you didn't know yet....
copy, pasted from 2008 regs;

Wabamun Lake & tributaries & outlet & canals
Apr. 1 to May 15 – CLOSED
May 16 to Sept. 30 – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 0; Perch limit 0; Lake Whitefish limit 0; Burbot limit 0.
Oct. 1 to Nov. 30 – Open only between sunrise and sunset of each day; hook size must not measure more than 10 mm from point to shaft – see hook size; Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 0; Perch limit 0; Lake Whitefish limit 0; Burbot limit 0.
Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 0; Perch limit 0; Lake Whitefish limit 0; Burbot limit 0.
*Capital Health advises against consumption of fish from Lake Wabamun at this time due to potential for residual contamination from 2005 oil spill, call for details (780-413-7927).

sad...used to be one of our favorite hot spots...
cheers, gw

Morph1
04-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Yep, I seen this already last month, I think it is a good idea, why would somone wanna eat fish from there anyways, I mean the power plant right there, and the train derailment with that oil spill, I was advised long time ago not to consume fish from there because of levels of led coming off of the power plant before the oil spill, I know some people eat the fish and are fine , but why would one wanna take a chance....,
Myself I had been fishing there last 2 weekends and the fishing was great,
2 weekedns ago payed a visit there with buddy of mine late afternoon, and still hooked to 4 about 10 lbs each and lost 3 that all happened in 3 hours of fishing which was great, there were some guys there keeping the caught fish, one of them had a pike that must've been at least 20 lbs if not more, the girth was so thick that the pikes head actually looked small LOL which usually is opposite, well we came back there last weekend Saturday early morning and stayed till about 2:30 I was able to hook to and land 12 fairly big pikes and lost about 5, buddy of mine hooked and landed 4 and lost plenty more, the fishing was great and the fish looked very healthy, however all fish caught was released back in the water.
This was my first time fishing Wabamun and it was great...
Great lake to fish spin casting during winter :) :)
I will do this everywinter from now on :lol:
Cheers!

Chris K
04-02-2008, 01:25 AM
You won't be doing it for to many winters, as once the plant is decomissioned and no more warm water is flowing, this opportunity will dissapear. It's a shame as it's a neat thing to do, so enjoy it while it lasts. Chris K

Ace
04-02-2008, 06:07 AM
Yeah, I was talking to a pipefitter and he said it's being decommissioned in a couple of years. I wasn't sure to believe him or not..april fools and all...

See ya
Ace

Don Meredith
04-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Yes, the plant is slated to be decommissioned in 2010. The problem is that will be the first time the lake will not have open water in winter in over 50 years. How that will affect the oxygen in the water is not known.

Just a note on heavy metals in fish prior to the train derailment, the fish in Wabamun had no more or less than fish in other lakes. However, there are some serious concentrations of metals in the sediments of the lakes, associated with coal burning. The current health advisory has to do with the oil in the lake.

Don Meredith
Member Wabamun Watershed Management Council (http://www.wwmc.ca)

Dakota369
04-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Are there not 4 other plants on the lake??

Don Meredith
04-02-2008, 10:29 AM
There two other plants (Keephills and Sundance) on the south-side, but, unlike the Wabamun plant, they do not use the lake as a cooling pond.

Alberta Bigbore
04-02-2008, 01:22 PM
i think the fact that there is an advisory for the consumption of fish was enough. The fishing pressure has been waaaaay down since the spill. who ever puts these regs in place must have been in charge of pigeon lake too;)

looking forward to slaying huge pike the next few years or so, then even better when the fish eat themselves out of house and home, the pike get skinny, then have the classic huge head, then cant find a pike at all, walleye make a comeback and eat everything else left in the lake. LOL BTW, people have been seeing numbers of decent sized perch this now past season. I CALL IT:lol: :lol: :lol:

Micheal in Edmonton

wildman
04-03-2008, 10:40 AM
you ARE correct BB!!!!!!!!!
walleyes been kept thru tags on pigeon for a few years and i caught a +10" perch at pigeon this winter!!!!
1st one i've personally seen there over 3" in many years...

Alberta Bigbore
04-03-2008, 03:22 PM
LOL, i havent seen a perch in pigeon for so long i thought they were a dinosaur in there.

wildman
04-03-2008, 04:52 PM
i KNOW!!!!!!!
it was cool actually.
we had swarms of perch minnows at our hooks most the day.
another rarity at pigeon and this fatty little 10"er flew in and slammed the hook!!! last thing i was expecting there!!!! great to see the baby ones back. i'd hate to be a minnow in that wallie infested lake!!!!!!