PDA

View Full Version : Side Scan on fishfinders??? Question for the guys that know

Ken07AOVette
06-06-2012, 10:04 AM
I was at a lake one time, and another guy in a small aluminum was watching fish. He said 'there is a nice sized one 73' right of me' in about 8' of water.

I have a Humminbird 798 ci si HD combo, and while it does do side scan it does not show fish to the left or right. Which units do this? It would be great knowing where to lie the fly to the left or right.

Stugeogarcia
06-06-2012, 10:27 AM
I was at a lake one time, and another guy in a small aluminum was watching fish. He said 'there is a nice sized one 73' right of me' in about 8' of water.

I have a Humminbird 798 ci si HD combo, and while it does do side scan it does not show fish to the left or right. Which units do this? It would be great knowing where to lie the fly to the left or right.

Your unit does do this. It's a matter of experience, staring at the unit and figuring out what you are looking at. As far as picking up a trout 73" away and in 8" of water sounds skechy.

Ken07AOVette
06-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Your unit does do this. It's a matter of experience, staring at the unit and figuring out what you are looking at. As far as picking up a trout 73" away and in 8" of water sounds skechy.

8' not ", and when he said there is a trout there, he cast that way and caught (not necessarily 'IT') a trout. It was impressive to watch from another boat.

chubbdarter
06-06-2012, 05:49 PM

can this wait till thursday when we meet, take you and show you your options on units running on simulated lake programs?

desiel
06-06-2012, 06:01 PM
i have a lorance hds8 with side scan and with the right conditions that is not impossible. on my unit the fish show up as white marks and if you know what to look for you can actually tell how big the fish is roughly. i would recomend the doctor sonar videos by doc samson they are awsome but mainly for lorance hds units. set up is the key to all sonar and the more you know the better they work.

Ken07AOVette
06-06-2012, 06:12 PM
can this wait till thursday when we meet, take you and show you your options on units running on simulated lake programs?

Certainly.
I hope we get to meet, I am stuck with the kids, doing the chaperon thing.

chubbdarter
06-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Certainly.
I hope we get to meet, I am stuck with the kids, doing the chaperon thing.

hopefu;;y with kids present you can behave yourself

Ken07AOVette
06-06-2012, 09:12 PM
hopefu;;y with kids present you can behave yourself

That's why they asked me to go buddy!