PDA

View Full Version : Where can I fish in Grande Prairie

fishingwish
06-06-2012, 11:35 PM
PLEASE HELP ME
Hello I am new to the area and would like to know where can I find somewhere to go fishing in G.P. or not to far away like and hour out. I like to river fish but would also like to shore fish so if somone could help me out and give me some ideas that would be awesome thanks.

PS
I will keep you posted on how I make out

Hunter Trav
06-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Head down to the wapiti, or run out to sturgeon, those are probably your closest options...

Joe Fehr
06-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Wapiti River, Kakwa River, Cutbank River, Torrens River all south of town.
Swan Lake (Ridge Valley), Sturgeon Lake, Kakut Lake, Grovedale fish pond, Snipe Lake (1.5hrs), East Dollar Lake (1.5hrs), Spring Lake, Muskoseepe pond, Sexsmith fish pond, Two Lakes.

All ones that come to mind most of the lakes are stocked trout, Snipe, Sturgeon are the exceptions. I'm sure there are more around too.

Saltmania
06-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Wapiti River, Kakwa River, Cutbank River, Torrens River all south of town.
Swan Lake (Ridge Valley), Sturgeon Lake, Kakut Lake, Grovedale fish pond, Snipe Lake (1.5hrs), East Dollar Lake (1.5hrs), Spring Lake, Muskoseepe pond, Sexsmith fish pond, Two Lakes.

All ones that come to mind most of the lakes are stocked trout, Snipe, Sturgeon are the exceptions. I'm sure there are more around too.

This is a good start. Also Moonshine lake just past Spirit River northwest of GP. Smoky, Little Smoky, and Simonette rivers. There's a little hike-in or quad-in lake called Jackfish Lake just in behind Spring Lake that has some good pike if you're feeling adventurous. You might get a 4x4 in there if you have a good lift and winch.

My favorite lakes are Snipe, Sturgeon, Moonshine, Two Lakes, and Swan. For rivers, the Kakwa and its tributaries are far and away my favorite rivers around here.

Just across the border in BC and down the Herritage Hwy about 30km, One Island Lake has the most amazing trophy trout in the region. People pull 6lb brookies and rainbows up to 15lb out of here every year. It's a bit tougher but rewarding for sure!

Good luck.

fishingwish
06-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Thank you everyone. I will repost how I do and where I go

Greasemonkey
06-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Not sure if you know this but torrens river is catch and release only

fishingwish
06-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Not sure if you know this but torrens river is catch and release only

Thanks that's good to know

bigfishslayer
06-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Has anyone fished Nose Mountain Lake? I've heard nothing but mixed replies and no one really seems to know if there's fish in there and what kind.. Also besides Sturgeon/Snipe are there any other lakes around GP area where you can take a boat with a gas motor? Or how about anyother lakes close by with Pike? I am going to ck out that Jackfish lake for sure didn't even know of its existence so thanks for that!!!

IHUNT
06-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Fished swan lake a few times and it was awesome!!! My buddys daughter caught a nice 10 pound rainbow there a few years back.

Greasemonkey
06-09-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm actually going to go there today I'll pm on my results

Joe Fehr
06-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Fished nose mountain lake years ago I think we caught one fish nice lake interesting to get to though.

Joe Fehr
06-09-2012, 03:36 PM
I had also heard that Jackfish had winter killed a couple years ago. Never been in there myself but I heard you need a small boat to fish it properly due to the willows on the banks.

albertadeer
06-09-2012, 06:36 PM
I had also heard that Jackfish had winter killed a couple years ago. Never been in there myself but I heard you need a small boat to fish it properly due to the willows on the banks.

Jackfish is dead right now. My uncle runs a trapline right by it. I spend alot of time there. Havent caught a fish in 2 years. And yes, not much for shore fishing access...well only 2 spots actually

And Nose lake can be fun, nothing to big but some nice brookies in there....The road can be down right scary though...

Greasemonkey
06-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Well I gave it an honest effort but had to turn around the first 30 Kim's no problem but after that it's crazy have to wait until it dries up some, driving down the road sideways and all over it is not fun didn't want to get stuck so turned around

boounga
06-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Jackfish is dead right now. My uncle runs a trapline right by it. I spend alot of time there. Havent caught a fish in 2 years. And yes, not much for shore fishing access...well only 2 spots actually

And Nose lake can be fun, nothing to big but some nice brookies in there....The road can be down right scary though...

How exactly do I get to nose lake, can i do it in my FJ cruiser and how long is the hike??

boonerkiller
06-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Yeah I believe that jackfish is dead, all winter killed. Have seen people taking fish out in buckets before certainly not what it used to be when I was a kid.

albertadeer
06-10-2012, 01:23 AM
Well I gave it an honest effort but had to turn around the first 30 Kim's no problem but after that it's crazy have to wait until it dries up some, driving down the road sideways and all over it is not fun didn't want to get stuck so turned around

:sHa_sarcasticlol: You tried going out there this weekend??

Are you new to the area? What ever you do...DO NOT take the Muddy creek cut across from Nose to Two-lakes. :scared0018:

There is also Rocky's in Nose lake. I caught em when i went ice fishing there.

Joe Fehr
06-10-2012, 11:15 AM
LMAO yeah unless they have upgraded the Muddy Creek in the last few years stay off it, run down the Weyerhauser rd to the Nose mountain rd and go from there, you should have no problem when it dries up a bit. A quad or side by side is a nice help too.

Greasemonkey
06-10-2012, 01:16 PM
I thought I'd try and no I'm not new to the area been here for 11 yrs now there was a fire ban just two weeks ago the road is good for the first 30 Kim's but after that you would need a commander to make it the rest of the way , I should see if the boss would let me borrow one from work

Greasemonkey
06-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Why would you take that way it's way faster to go hwy 40 to musreau cut across Weyerhaeuser to nose mountain rd

fishman
06-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Have things changed in that lake over the years or what......i fished it close to 30 years ago.............this is the lake that cutbank river flows out of right well yes if u go back in the stocking guide they did stock it with brookies and browns at one time...........but i dont think the browns took for some reason not sure if there eggs needs to be warmer then brookies............but on the north west corner there was a creek that had all the brookies in it and there was bull trout in the lake,whites and browns.........been a long time

bigfishslayer
06-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Has anyone fished Albright Lake by Hythe? Is there a boat launch for a small boat? decent fishing??
Thanks.

WorldClass
08-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Could I get some more info on how to get to that One Island Lake please.