PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone Ever Gut Hooked

chubbdarter
06-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Has anyone ever gut hooked a fish on a Circle Hook?
Is this a possible regulation change to give back Bait fisherman some waters that they cannot fish.

Ive done some experimenting and so far no matter how long i wait the fish is always lip hooked

Please dont make this into a...... Those low life bait guys should leqrn how to flyfish. We are a stronger voice as fisherman united than a group divided.

quiteeye
06-07-2012, 12:49 AM
It's logical. I've never really used them. I rig for walleye lots and wondered about me. I normally use slow death crawler schnell hooks, low profile, super strong and it wedges in good! Specially with a worm an trailer

BeeGuy
06-07-2012, 01:11 AM
I've used circle hooks a decent amount and have only ever lip hooked fish. No exceptions.

Gamagatsu octopus are another story.

Alberta Bigbore
06-07-2012, 07:27 AM
Circle hooks are all I use for channel catfish in MB, trout ponds, and perch fishing. I'm rippin' lips 100% of the time

WayneChristie
06-07-2012, 07:37 AM
only caught one fish on them, tried them for pike and never got a hookup. may do some more experimenting in the river this summer and see whats up. it might be a good idea, but would it be enforceable? a lot of people dont follow the regs we do have

Heavy K
06-07-2012, 09:57 AM
I've hooked Brook trout in the back of the gills with circle hooks on a high mountain lakes in the winter. Fairly exceptional circumstance though. Takes were so soft you could barely tell you had a fish on until you reeled in. A smaller size hook would probably have remedied the problem. Luckily they were headed straight to the frypan anyways.

HK

Fishin' Fool
06-07-2012, 10:09 AM
I've been using circle hooks for a few years and caught lots of different species and only a couple greedy burbot have ever swallowed the hook.

Oh, one other circle-hook hook-up: at the Wab canal before they closed it, I was attempting to release about a 12 pound pike from the bottom hook of my pickeral rig when he got loose and made a run for it. He didn't make it as the top hook buried itself in my finger. Holy crap was that painful. Trying to grab the line to stop the agony in my finger, corral the fish and get the hook out of him, then out of me, was not fun.

dwedmon
06-07-2012, 12:07 PM
I've seen the circle hooks taken deeply a few times when using very small hooks. Upsizing the circle hook fixed that problem.

BobLoblaw
06-07-2012, 12:29 PM
I tried circle hooks a couple times while fishing for pike from shore. I got one that had the hook so far down it's gullet that I had to cut the line.:confused: Pretty sure that's the exception rather than the rule, though.

chubbdarter
06-07-2012, 04:44 PM
im very curious about this

would anyone be interested in doing a fisherman data collection with me

i will supply you some circle hooks
you log species , time spent using them, and track hook location after catching a fish

Dust1n
06-07-2012, 04:57 PM
All i use for pike in rivers are circle hooks. I find i have better hookups with smaller pike and less with larger (12lbs+)
Browns,walleyes,perch,whitefish all work great for circle hooks.
Iv only snagged one fish with a circle hook at it was snagged in the fin.

ogre
06-07-2012, 04:58 PM
I'd be interested in helping out with the data collection.

Dust1n
06-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Id also be interested in it but i would i only be using them for northern pike and walleye.

BeeGuy
06-07-2012, 06:43 PM
I have about 6 different brands and several sizes of circle hooks I'll be using this weekend.

Were you looking at using a standard style/brand and size?

Lefty-Canuck
06-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Let us know what size and brand Chubb and I will give them a go for you!

LC

ReconWilly
06-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Circle hooks are amazing at lodging the hook into the corners of the mouth, can't say i can remember a deep hook set while using circle hooks, great bait hooks.

They also work great as replacement hooks on Raps and especially Buzzbombs....

Geezle
06-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Let us know what size and brand Chubb and I will give them a go for you!

LC

I may get in on this as well...perhaps do a side by side comparison with octopus hooks and see what happens.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-07-2012, 08:29 PM
I've wanted to use circle hooks again but have not found anything other then size 6 and 8 .

I have found these hooks to really limit the amount you gut hook or hook them in the gullet , or gills. But there are always an exception . 99.5% of the time a perfect hookset in the mouth .

Chubb I'd be more then willing to help you out .

Geezle
06-07-2012, 08:37 PM
They're Eagle Claw, but both TFH and WSS carry circle hooks...the WSS site has them up to 3/0.

https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=21141

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/fresh-saltwater-fishing/terminal-tackle/nickel-circle-sea-hook/prod47969.html

06-07-2012, 08:40 PM
They're Eagle Claw, but both TFH and WSS carry circle hooks...the WSS site has them up to 3/0.

https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=21141

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/fresh-saltwater-fishing/terminal-tackle/nickel-circle-sea-hook/prod47969.html

Hummmmmm maybe they've just been sold out at the time I've looked , or it was all they carried at the time . Gag at the thought of eagle claw hooks .

Geezle
06-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Hummmmmm maybe they've just been sold out at the time I've looked , or it was all they carried at the time . Gag at the thought of eagle claw hooks .

Yup, I hear ya on the Eagle Claw thing! :lol:

06-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Yup, I hear ya on the Eagle Claw thing! :lol:

Might be forced to make a call to my contact at gamakatsu .

WayneChristie
06-07-2012, 09:01 PM
I will get in on this, I use 2 hooks on my rigs so I would try a circle and one of my baitholders to compare. Only fish Ive hooked deep in the last long while was a little burb, and it actually kept swallowing the hook while I was holding it.

chubbdarter
06-08-2012, 11:08 AM
^Thanks everyone for all your personel experience data

i want a variety of hooks used.
Thanks to the guys who volunteered to help with my non scientific study
I will produce a form to track data and will order the hooks for the experiment this afternoon for all that volunteered

thanks guys