PDA

View Full Version : NSR what am i doing wrong?

chionk
06-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Hello,

This is my first time posting. Ive been fishing around Edmonton for the past month or so, just the NSR and Hermitage park. I usually go fishing between noon and 3pm as it is the easiest for me to get out. All shore fishing. Ive been using pickerel rigs with minnows and worms with no luck, as well as spoons and spinners. I think Ive caught one gold eye the whole time ive been out. I mostly fish down by Dawson bridge and where the Whitemud creek meets the NSR.

What am I doing wrong? I knows theres fish in the river and hermitage. Am I not fishing at the right time or am I using the wrong lure/bait? Im getting frustrated but I love fishing too much to quite.

Any advice/tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Solle
06-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Pm'd lol

chionk
06-07-2012, 04:56 PM
I have been trying those foxes with like a minnow on the end today, no success. Is the fishing within the city limits not so good?

pike_king780
06-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Fishing inb the city limits is awesome!! :sHa_shakeshout: keep trying, everyone gets skunked once in a while, just gotta keep puttin your work in and you'll tie into some nice fish forsure!! Good luck!

NSRfishing
06-07-2012, 06:21 PM
try early mornings

waterninja
06-08-2012, 04:59 AM
stick with the worms, minnows don't seem to produce lately. don't be scared to load your hook up, the more the merrier. if its sunny and your fishing a pool try bright green jig.

tonypower
06-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Remember you don't have to be very far out with the p-rigs. Maybe 30 40 feet. Try plain black jigs. Bring them in painfully slow. You will catch something

NSR Monger
06-08-2012, 09:16 AM
morning and evenings will help

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Hello,

This is my first time posting. Ive been fishing around Edmonton for the past month or so, just the NSR and Hermitage park. I usually go fishing between noon and 3pm as it is the easiest for me to get out. All shore fishing. Ive been using pickerel rigs with minnows and worms with no luck, as well as spoons and spinners. I think Ive caught one gold eye the whole time ive been out. I mostly fish down by Dawson bridge and where the Whitemud creek meets the NSR.

What am I doing wrong? I knows theres fish in the river and hermitage. Am I not fishing at the right time or am I using the wrong lure/bait? Im getting frustrated but I love fishing too much to quite.

Any advice/tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I fish the river alot , I mean alot probably twice what the normal person does .

Those are good fishing spots , it's a time thing as the sun it's hottest during noon and 4 . FIsh are deeper and not as active . Morning and evening are your best time , also other variables like weather , water conditions all come into play .

Secondly take those gold hooks throw them in a garbage . Go buy a couple packages of gamakatsu octopus hooks about 5 dollars a package get a size 6 or 8 will do the trick . And a small spool of Fluorcarbon line , learn to tie your own sells which are super easy once you get it figured out , lots of videos on YouTube .
And if that still doesn't produce anything send me a pm. But get out a trip or two .

bobalong
06-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Although you can catch fish all day in the river, morning and evenings are more productive on average. Fish will move around, but just like lake fishing there are certain areas that concentrate fish, so location can make a big difference. Look for deeper pools, current breaks, and incoming creeks, anything that might concentrate fish.
Pickeral rigs work fairly well and are pretty fool proof, they are not like some presentations where you are concerned with speed and depth, you just throw them out and let them sit, doesn't get much simplier than that.

chubbdarter
06-08-2012, 08:05 PM
pm BGSH.......the river king

e40water12
06-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Yes the NSR has morning and evening times are the best to catch fish. Just got to follow tips People have suggested in the forum. I have the most success is using pickler Rig. with worms and leeches. Just got to try different spots in the River.

SnoochyBoochy
06-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Right now the eye's seem to be ga ga for leetches out at Hermitage. Evening is good. Don't be afraid to talk with other fishermen and see what they are doing and using. Move around on the beach, if one spot is dead for 20 mins cast in another direction location.
But I will say fishing will pick up July. There are other honey holes near by but you have to make friends to get the friend scoop ;)
Lastly always remember its called Fishing lol not catching ultimately.