PDA

View Full Version : Lake Diefenbaker, Saskatchewan

Mish@
06-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Hello everone! I will be heading to Saskatchewan for a week to do some fishing. One of the stops will be lake Diefenbaker. I have never fished that lake before, and first time in Saskatchewan as well. Any information, any tips, pointers will be greatly appreciated. I mean the lake is huge and would be great if someone could narrow some information down for me. I definitely want to try to catch one of those rainbows! Also I would like to target some walleye. Would be great if you guys could help me out here!

Thank you very much and have a great fishing season! :sHa_shakeshout:

BeeGuy
06-07-2012, 11:03 PM
It is pretty unlikely to catch one of those rainbows as they were farm fish which escaped into the lake.

Most of them have died of old age by now.

You could always try and catch one of the wild ones.

Do you have a boat?

Wile E.
06-07-2012, 11:39 PM
What part of the lake are you going to?

waterninja
06-08-2012, 04:37 AM
i like to believe that there are still a few of those big bows still alive. can you imagine?

Kim473
06-08-2012, 04:41 AM
i like to believe that there are still a few of those big bows still alive. can you imagine?

Hmmm, Rainbows living with pike and walleye!!!! WOW

May get a new species of fish. Pikebow, or Raineye.

WayneChristie
06-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Hmmm, Rainbows living with pike and walleye!!!! WOW

May get a new species of fish. Pikebow, or Raineye.

they do in Newell and a few other lakes around here, and the river

slivers86
06-08-2012, 07:11 AM
Check out some of the fishinggeeks threads. I'd be willing to say they are dief experts :)

roger
06-08-2012, 07:22 AM
ive camped there a few times, but not to fish.
I see alot of people on a little peninsula on the west side near to the dam...they are probably there out of conveince and proximity to the road.
that lake always seems to in whitecaps..
sorry im not much help

Mulestalker
06-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Depending on the size of your boat, I would launch at Coteau Bay head across towards the old boat launch ,work the breaks towards the west near the point.

Lots of good fishing in the bay,head down west past the pump house,north shore has a great reef,depending on water levels...approach with caution..

Head back into the creek, slip bobber/leech fish the pockets.....man I miss that lake..

duceman
06-08-2012, 07:42 AM
It is pretty unlikely to catch one of those rainbows as they were farm fish which escaped into the lake.

Most of them have died of old age by now.

You could always try and catch one of the wild ones.

Do you have a boat?

my buddy showed me a pic yesterday of his 9 pound rainbow caught 2 weeks ago, his son had a 4 1/2 pounder, both caught fron shore, lee

crudedude
06-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Not sure when you are planning on going to Dief but check water levels. Heard the level at Sask landing is down 25ft.

Redfrog
06-08-2012, 09:48 AM
If you've never been to Saks you will need passports:)

Let us know how you make out . Pics would be nice. Good luck!

fishinggeek
06-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Depending on the size of your boat, I would launch at Coteau Bay head across towards the old boat launch ,work the breaks towards the west near the point.

Lots of good fishing in the bay,head down west past the pump house,north shore has a great reef,depending on water levels...approach with caution..

Head back into the creek, slip bobber/leech fish the pockets.....man I miss that lake..

Good advice there.
Also if your fishing from shore, you can hit up any creek flowing into the lake. the east pumphouse to the west of the dam has a nice little creek flowing into it. aslo coteau bay furthest north east into the bay you can get into with a veh. past elbow along the south dam face past douglas park is a couple beautiful little creeks you can get to by gravel roads (50.97313,-106.491766). And yes there is always gonna be rainbows in dief as long as the fish farm is there. Happy fishing and good luck.:):)

chubbdarter
06-08-2012, 11:20 AM
If you've never been to Saks you will need passports:)

Let us know how you make out . Pics would be nice. Good luck!

I got mine for my upcoming trip there...........gotta leave Alberta for good fishing, i may never come home.

Redfrog
06-08-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm heading there next week.:sHa_shakeshout:

pickrel pat
06-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Not sure when you are planning on going to Dief but check water levels. Heard the level at Sask landing is down 25ft.

lol. water level down 25 feet.