PDA

View Full Version : De Witts/Airdrie Pond - Lures? Bait?

mchapple
06-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm fairly new to alberta and grew up fishing lakes in Ontario. I've got a young son I want to take out fishing, and we live in Airdrie, so I'm going to head out to De Witts and maybe the Airdrie pond just to see if he can catch something. Just curious what I should be using for lures and bait? Back home I'd just be using a small hook and a worm, but wondering if these stocked pond fish may be picky. Read on here somewhere they like cheese slices. lol. Any suggestions? We're just looking for catch and release... even something small would be fun.
Thanks

Calgaryguy1977
06-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Hey man, you heard right! Stocked trout arent used to eating normal food typically....at least not right after they are stocked. You may want to try rolling balls of velveeta cheese, worms, power bait, corn, and even shrimp (the big ring of rubbery ones you get for cheap)

You can also try putting on a bobber/float and tie a dry fly on it like a blue winged olive or mosquito pattern......I know they will bite those!

mchapple
06-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the info!

TROLLER
06-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Piece of shrimp on a 10 hook with a slip bobber and you are in business.

Dgirl
06-09-2012, 02:42 PM
While I know there's still trout in Airdrie pond just keep in mind they only fired 200 or so in there. Unless you're there early morning or near sunset I suspect the high level of activity doesn't encourage heavy feeds. Definitely check out DeWitts.

Often I use small spinners. But when I'm feeling like just parking on shore:
here's my setup... http://www.fishingwithrod.com/albums/album34/051012_G.gif

I just tie my leader inline and skip the three way swivel.
I use a lead-free nail and elastic band for a weight (way less snags and CHEAP).
A chunk of powerbait, floating eggs (in green/yellow), cat food balls or just about anything like velveeta will net you a fish if they're biting.

Course you can't beat a worm. *lol*

climid
06-09-2012, 08:40 PM
my bro caught a tiny trout on dewitts with a 1 inch ling spinner with a trout pattern. Try that or troutmellows.

mchapple
06-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Well, we hit up De Witts this morning for a bit... My son lost one right at the shore on the first cast with just a dry mosquito fly... they seemed to be biting the dry flys fairly well... I didn't get any bites on the cheese or powerbait... We missed a few, but with a cranky wife and a cranky kid I didn't get to stay long...

Went to Airdrie pond this afternoon, but it was more of the same... only stayed for maybe 30 mins... not a bite.. the kids next to us were catching a few on cheese slices, but I was too busy with my son to fish much...

He's young still, so 5 mins is like an hour to him... I just want him to get used fishing with me, even if he gets bored quick... hoping in a year or two he'll be able to sit a bit longer...

Hoping to get out by myself a bit this week to actually catch some fish at some point... I normally go back to Ontario for some good Walleye and Bass fishing every year, but this is the first year I won't be going back, so I'm giving Alberta fishing a shot.. hoping to hit the Bow sometime this season.

Thanks for the help everyone.

mchapple
06-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Not sure if anyone is reading this anymore...

I went back to De Witts last night... it was pretty hot outside, so I wasn't sure how good the fishing would be...
When I got there though, some guy was leaving with 5 fish on a stringer, so I figured it couldn't be that bad... He was pretty drunk though, and looked kind of sun burnt, so I'm guessing he'd been sitting there all day.

Anyway, I gave some powerbait a shot.... nothing.... some marshmellows.... nothing... some cheese... nothing... some worms... nothing... a spinner.... nothing... I didn't see anyone else catching anything while we were there though either... So I tied a dry fly on with a bobber and set it out while I tried to pack up my Son's rod and everything else he had scattered everywhere... My bobber completely disappeared... I actually heard it get pulled under... I picked up my rod again and he was gone. Tried again... got another bite... but they wouldn't hang onto it at all... I tried a few more casts and nothing...

So far my only luck out there has been the dry flys... but I haven't tried the shrimp yet... I'll give that a shot next time...
I'm just wondering though... since I've never used a fly in my life... how do you get the fish to hang onto these things? They seem to just bite it, then spit it right out again... Is there some kind of scent or taste stuff you put on them?

Also, should I have the fly floating ontop of the water, a little under or should it be weighed down? Any other suggestions would be great... stocked trout fishing's got me stumped so far... I'd love to actually catch a fish. :)

marlin1
06-13-2012, 09:56 AM
I used to use a brown hackle or something similiar and a casting bubble slowly retrieving it . Worked for me at stocked ponds

fishpro
06-13-2012, 10:22 AM
No need for scent or anything on the flies, you just have to set the hook instantly. You need to be holding the rod and ready for the take.

mchapple
06-13-2012, 10:52 AM
I used to use a brown hackle or something similiar and a casting bubble slowly retrieving it . Worked for me at stocked ponds

I like this idea... I'll give that a shot.. better than just watching a bobber for hours.

mchapple
06-13-2012, 10:56 AM
No need for scent or anything on the flies, you just have to set the hook instantly. You need to be holding the rod and ready for the take.

Its got to be instant.. it's a really quick bit and spit it seems... no nibbling or indication it's coming.. they hit it hard and then they're gone... and fishing with my son, I'm usually pretty involved in what he's doing too, so it's hard to have the rod in my hands at all times... plus watching a bobber for a long time it can sometimes get a little boring and you lose focus a bit... that's when they seem to stike. :)

baitfisher83
06-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Headed to Dewitt's right now myself, hoping the corn works cause I don't have much fly wise

BlackID
06-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Not sure if anyone is reading this anymore...

I went back to De Witts last night... it was pretty hot outside, so I wasn't sure how good the fishing would be...
When I got there though, some guy was leaving with 5 fish on a stringer, so I figured it couldn't be that bad... He was pretty drunk though, and looked kind of sun burnt, so I'm guessing he'd been sitting there all day.

Anyway, I gave some powerbait a shot.... nothing.... some marshmellows.... nothing... some cheese... nothing... some worms... nothing... a spinner.... nothing... I didn't see anyone else catching anything while we were there though either... So I tied a dry fly on with a bobber and set it out while I tried to pack up my Son's rod and everything else he had scattered everywhere... My bobber completely disappeared... I actually heard it get pulled under... I picked up my rod again and he was gone. Tried again... got another bite... but they wouldn't hang onto it at all... I tried a few more casts and nothing...

So far my only luck out there has been the dry flys... but I haven't tried the shrimp yet... I'll give that a shot next time...
I'm just wondering though... since I've never used a fly in my life... how do you get the fish to hang onto these things? They seem to just bite it, then spit it right out again... Is there some kind of scent or taste stuff you put on them?

Also, should I have the fly floating ontop of the water, a little under or should it be weighed down? Any other suggestions would be great... stocked trout fishing's got me stumped so far... I'd love to actually catch a fish. :)

Dry Flies is the way to go. Was there yesterday at night and caught four.

mchapple
06-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Dry Flies is the way to go. Was there yesterday at night and caught four.

Dry flies seems to all I get bites on there.... so far anyway...
Havent tried corn or shrimp though...

Were you just using a dry fly and a weighted bobber?
What size fly? Color? Etc?

I had some small mosquito looking ones... thinking maybe they're too small.. could be why I'm having trouble setting the hook.

Calgaryguy1977
06-13-2012, 12:29 PM

I had some small mosquito looking ones... thinking maybe they're too small.. could be why I'm having trouble setting the hook.

Hey McHapple...no this is completely normal.....they do a bit of a take....start to bite it then back off. Just make sure to set the hook...eg give the rod a tug back as they are swollowing it. The smaller trout seem to do this more often from my experience but the larger ones like to swallow it a bit deeper. If you arent using a fly rod you can get one at walmart or canadian tire for 50-100 bucks. It saves money on bait and once you get the hang of it then you will be way more productive. Next time you are buying flies ask for a mosquito pattern (which you have) but also try a blue winged olive or any small black dry fly and you should get some hits. I wonder if its you I saw there the other day with his son talking to the older german lady?

mchapple
06-13-2012, 01:45 PM
If you arent using a fly rod you can get one at walmart or canadian tire for 50-100 bucks

Will definitely be getting one before the end of the season... money's tight, so I'm fishing on a budget... but I know it'll save me money in the long run, and I've always wanted to try it out... Never seen anyone fly fishing in my life until I moved to Alberta.

I wonder if its you I saw there the other day with his son talking to the older german lady?

Not me... Didn't see an older german lady there yet. I've gone with the wife and my Son... he's only 2 and 1/2, but likes the idea of fishing... I've been addicted since I was about 4... so I'm just getting him prepared. haha. I'll be dragging him out all the time.

mchapple
06-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Wouldnt want to be out there right now... Hailing and raining pretty good.
Maybe I'll head out after supper if its not too bad.

baitfisher83
06-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Stuck out here myself right now, we were trying to evade the storm and the van won't start.

BlackID
06-13-2012, 02:32 PM

stimulator size 12. Gnats 16-18, blue wind olive 16-18. Just using dry flies. I also I tried a couple nymphs.

dont think they are to small, once you are there and you see the hatch in the water, you will see that your fly size 16 or 18 is godzilla beside those little midges.

you can get a TFO outfit (awesome warranty) in canadian tire cheaper than bass pro or whosale. 4/5 wt outfit x $170-180 last time i saw it on the southland canadian tire.

After you try fly fishing, I'm pretty sure you will give up your spining rod. I'm not saying spining doesn't work, but sometime they are not feeding under water, they are on the top chasing midges and is frustrating having your bait under water and they're feeding 1 foot away from your bobber on the top. PLUS there is nothing better that see your fly disappear and be prepare to set that hook!

mchapple
06-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Stuck out here myself right now, we were trying to evade the storm and the van won't start.

Horrible... any fish at least? :)

mchapple
06-13-2012, 02:42 PM
stimulator size 12. Gnats 16-18, blue wind olive 16-18. Just using dry flies. I also I tried a couple nymphs.

dont think they are to small, once you are there and you see the hatch in the water, you will see that your fly size 16 or 18 is godzilla beside those little midges.

you can get a TFO outfit (awesome warranty) in canadian tire cheaper than bass pro or whosale. 4/5 wt outfit x $170-180 last time i saw it on the southland canadian tire.

After you try fly fishing, I'm pretty sure you will give up your spining rod. I'm not saying spining doesn't work, but sometime they are not feeding under water, they are on the top chasing midges and is frustrating having your bait under water and they're feeding 1 foot away from your bobber on the top. PLUS there is nothing better that see your fly disappear and be prepare to set that hook!

Awesome.. thanks.. I'm totally looking forward to getting into fly fishing... I just never needed anything but a spinning real before... I always fished walleye and bass... This trout thing is all new to me.. but I definitely know the feeling of watching the fish eat everything on the surface around my bobber.. I hate that. I also noticed that I only got bites out there on my first cast, before my fly got too wet and my bobber dragged it down.. when it was dry and floating right on the surface is when they would hit it.

baitfisher83
06-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Horrible... any fish at least? :)

Dad hooked a guppy on the fly rod but didn't manage to land it. I had a few bites but no hook ups, lots of fish jumping until the storm hit

BlackID
06-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Awesome.. thanks.. I'm totally looking forward to getting into fly fishing... I just never needed anything but a spinning real before... I always fished walleye and bass... This trout thing is all new to me.. but I definitely know the feeling of watching the fish eat everything on the surface around my bobber.. I hate that. I also noticed that I only got bites out there on my first cast, before my fly got too wet and my bobber dragged it down.. when it was dry and floating right on the surface is when they would hit it.

you know what? I saw few people using the spining rod with dry flies. I have never done it, but thinking about you, you could use a very light line and instead of a plastic bobber, you can a use a strike indicator and put your fly 2 feet away from the stike indicator using a floatant on your fly. the floatant doesn't make it sink and with the strike indicator you will gain some distance because a dry fly on a spining rod without any weight goes just beside your feet. So put some weight and floatant on it and see what happen.

mchapple
06-13-2012, 03:07 PM
instead of a plastic bobber, you can a use a strike indicator and put your fly 2 feet away from the stike indicator using a floatant on your fly.

Yeah, I think I'm going to give something like that a try... at least until I get a fly rod.. Someone above mentioned a casting bubble... looks just like a strike indicator, but a little more weight I think,... I think the floatant is whats to going to help. Thanks

the local angler
06-13-2012, 04:42 PM
hope you got home ok there baitfisher.

baitfisher83
06-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Yeah a local stopped and gave us a boost, I hope my dad can get a new battery soon

mchapple
06-14-2012, 10:42 PM
I went back to De Witts tonight... after the rain, around 7:30... HOPING I would finally find some active fish... THe fish were jumping all over the place... some of them a foot and 1/2 out of the water.. pretty cool to watch... I gave the dry flies another shot... almost possitive the ones I got are too small... they're a size 14... I missed probably 3 fish... just couldn't get the hook set... they were even hitting it a 2nd time after I'd miss on the first strike and I still couldn't hook them... once things died down a bit, I figured I'd try a bit bigger hook with a hunk of cheese... I tossed it out with my bobber and let it site while I packed everything up to go... I never saw my bobber move once, but when I went to bring it in to pack up and go, there was a fish on there.. I got about 3 feet in and he was gone... totally forgot to set the hook... bah... oh well... one of these days I'll get a fish out there...

I've never gone fishing this many times in a row in my life and not caught a thing... getting a little frustrating.. but I'm determined...

Hoping next time will be better...
Going to try getting up early one day this weekend and heading out by myself before the family is up and my 2 year old takes over my day... Hoping a couple hours fishing by myself might have better results.

Calgaryguy1977
06-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Dude I drive all over the province to fish and catch plenty just about everywhere I go....on my fly rod anyway. Even on a good day I dont catch a lot at dewitts. Its just not that great of a fishery. I caught about 5 in an hour and a half a week or two ago and that was my best performance there. If you are willing to drive a bit then dickson trout pond or chain lakes are almost a sure thing for catching trout. And they will be bigger. Dewitts are small and apparently not that hungry! hahaha

mchapple
06-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Dude I drive all over the province to fish and catch plenty just about everywhere I go....on my fly rod anyway. Even on a good day I dont catch a lot at dewitts. Its just not that great of a fishery. I caught about 5 in an hour and a half a week or two ago and that was my best performance there. If you are willing to drive a bit then dickson trout pond or chain lakes are almost a sure thing for catching trout. And they will be bigger. Dewitts are small and apparently not that hungry! hahaha

I definitley want to head down to Chain Lakes at some point... I heard Disckson is decent too.. Dewitts is just my go to when I have an hour to kill and can get out for a bit since I'm in Airdrie and it's so close... I haven't had a chance to actually get out anywhere for any more than an hour or so yet... I'm hoping I can get out this weekend and actually go somewhere else and hopefully catch something... Thinking I might get myself an inexpensive beginner fly set up for Father's Day this weekend too.

Calgaryguy1977
06-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Im not sure if they stocked crossfield this year but its not far away and may get you some better results. Only problem is I know they were doing some construction down by there so they may not have stocked it this year and im not sure if it winter kills.

mchapple
06-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Im not sure if they stocked crossfield this year but its not far away and may get you some better results. Only problem is I know they were doing some construction down by there so they may not have stocked it this year and im not sure if it winter kills.

I was trying to find out... read some posts it hasn't been stocked and the road was closed a couple weeks ago... not sure if anything has changed... might check it out though.

Calgaryguy1977
06-16-2012, 09:22 AM
the normal road is closed but you can somewhat access it from the back way by driving straight when you enter crossfield (gas station will be on the left drive straight past the school)......as soon as you pass all the homes/town you will see a dirt road on your left that will take you right to it. Not sure if there's fish in there but theres only one way to find out hahaha

Calgaryguy1977
06-16-2012, 09:30 AM
behold my epic drawing skills! LOL

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/8508693/img/Anonymous/crossfield-map.jpg

mchapple
06-16-2012, 11:12 PM
behold my epic drawing skills! LOL.

Pretty impressive. haha

Thanks... I'm going to head out early tomorrow... Fathers Day and all, so it's my day to go fishing... I'll probably check out both De Witts and Crossfield... not too sure of anywhere else close to go around here yet... Don't want to have to drive too far.

Got a new reel to try out... I was hoping to pick up a fly outfit, but couldn't find one in my price range that wasn't a piece of junk... so I'll wait on the fly rod... Can't wait to get one though and try it out.

mchapple
06-17-2012, 09:24 AM
At De Witts now... Nothing yet.. Checked out Crossfield this morning. Dont think theres much in there. Hoping I get some
thing today

Calgaryguy1977
06-17-2012, 09:54 AM
I think you'll need to drive a little further...Chain Lakes, Allen Bill, McLeans etc

mchapple
06-17-2012, 09:56 AM
I think you'll need to drive a little further...Chain Lakes, Allen Bill, McLeans etc

People around me are catching fish. Like 3 in the last 10 mins

Calgaryguy1977
06-17-2012, 10:05 AM
fly or bait?

mchapple
06-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Bait. This old guys got 5 on worms.... And of courss I forgot my worms at home

mchapple
06-17-2012, 10:40 AM
I can see them eating flies off the water. What would make them want mine over the rel ones theyre eating?

mchapple
06-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Well another depressing day fishing at De Witts... 5 hours and nothing to show for it. Lost one close to shore and had a few nibbles. Have to start going somewhere else. Need to find a fishing partner.

the local angler
06-17-2012, 05:31 PM
last week i was at allen bill and maclean pond both are like chocolate milk. only managed 1 tiny one.

Kyle
06-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Luckily golf was invented for people like you...:sHa_shakeshout:

the local angler
06-17-2012, 07:13 PM
started to golf last year. lol fishing N golfing best of both worlds.lol

mchapple
06-18-2012, 11:35 PM
FINALLY... went back tonight for an hour before dark.. had a few bites and then finally landed one. Just on a plain old garden worm.... At least I finally caught a fish... also slipped in the mud and landed on my ass and got my new reel nice and dirty... but it was worth it.

ogre
06-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Nice! Congrats on learning a "new" trick. Many stocked trouts will key into a certain presentation, and will differ from trouts stocked elsewhere. Now try to catch another :)

yada
06-19-2012, 11:28 PM
i went to airdrie once this year.

Had good luck with a small red spoon with a white stripe

baitfisher83
06-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Going to Dewitts today, hopefully will have better luck and gotta pick up some new flies

baitfisher83
06-20-2012, 02:47 PM
So far 4 stocked guppies and a salamander, new one for me,lol

the local angler
06-20-2012, 08:47 PM
a salamander really wow. i was all packed and was gonna head out today too and then got lazy and made it a lazy day.

baitfisher83
06-20-2012, 09:30 PM
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/darksilver1983/salamander.jpg

marlin1
06-20-2012, 11:13 PM
how big was that salamander? Lokks like the one we found at the shop in the NE a few years back

mchapple
06-21-2012, 12:01 AM
That salamander is awesome.. never saw one that big before... I got tangled in a muskrat last time I was there, but nothing that cool. No fishing for me until the weekend. :( I'm heading out camping Friday and my tent trailer needs some serious work before then. Hoping fishing will be good this weekend...

epicangler
07-30-2013, 10:12 PM
you can actually put a dry fly on a another type of rod??????

epicangler
07-30-2013, 10:13 PM
shrimp would definetly work for rainbows