PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your Walleye cheeks?

Cal
06-09-2012, 07:18 PM
I just cook them however I'm doing the fillets but I've talked to guys who save up a whole bunch of them and then cook a whole mess of them. Just wondering what you guys do with them? Any favorite cheek specific recipes?

Lefty-Canuck
06-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Cheeks? what cheeks?......walleye have cheeks? :)

Are they attached to the head that I leave at the cleaning stations?

LC :)

357xp
06-09-2012, 07:45 PM
i never knew bout them until a few years ago someone told me about them. that is the really good meat! not very big on a small fish, but we had a few in the 10-12 pound range and that was a fair chunk of meat

Mxyzptik
06-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Lots and lots of garlic and onions and don"t over cook 'em.

Nait Hadya
06-09-2012, 09:05 PM
a nice snack though only 2 or 6 cheeks doesn't go very far when there are hungry eyes around.

Attilathecanuk
06-09-2012, 09:17 PM
We save up until (freeze in a Baggie of water) there is about 1/2 lb or so and deep fry in beer batter for around the campfire. *growl* well, gotta go see how many I have now.....

Alberta Bigbore
06-09-2012, 09:20 PM
I cut them out and fry them up in garlic butter.

When I come back from Manitoba, and bring back a cooler or two of walleye fillets, I also bring back a bunch of huge ziploc bags full of walleye cheeks. Best part of the walleye IMHO.

laut
06-09-2012, 10:15 PM
I just cook them however I'm doing the fillets but I've talked to guys who save up a whole bunch of them and then cook a whole mess of them. Just wondering what you guys do with them? Any favorite cheek specific recipes?

They are excellent especially cook it in salty water then dip in butter with garlic. Get yourself a little little old metal spoon, then sharpen the edge of it. You just have to insert the tip of the spoon from the edge of the cheek , then simply spoon it out. A lot of work but worth every penny. Don't forget the throat or the fin just behind the bottom gill. Just cut the triangle part of the throat after you remove the fillets, then remove the skin. fry them up with the fin on.

RapStaff
06-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Mmmmmmm Mmmmmmm good, fry up those lil suckers in some butter.
So so good.

albertadeer
06-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Wrap it in bacon on kabobs with peppers onions and mushrooms....Mmmmm

SNAPFisher
06-10-2012, 06:12 AM
They are excellent especially cook it in salty water then dip in butter with garlic. Get yourself a little little old metal spoon, then sharpen the edge of it. You just have to insert the tip of the spoon from the edge of the cheek , then simply spoon it out. A lot of work but worth every penny. Don't forget the throat or the fin just behind the bottom gill. Just cut the triangle part of the throat after you remove the fillets, then remove the skin. fry them up with the fin on.

I've done the cheeks but not the additional ones you posted. Thanks for this!

Kim473
06-10-2012, 07:03 AM

Only takes about 10 seconds to remove a check with a little practice. Just cut around the check about 7/8 around, then stick your thumb in there and remove the check leaving the skin on the fish. Thx for the tip about the throat part, never knew that. How big of a pc of meat is that? About the same as the check or more?

bisonhunter
06-10-2012, 07:14 AM
Lake trout have great cheeks also.

Just so you know.

Freedom55
06-10-2012, 07:29 AM

When I come back from Manitoba, and bring back a cooler or two of walleye fillets, I also bring back a bunch of huge ziploc bags full of walleye cheeks. Best part of the walleye IMHO.

I take it that you travel with a large family or have some type of interprovincial commercial license?

Free

Cal
06-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Only takes about 10 seconds to remove a check with a little practice. Just cut around the check about 7/8 around, then stick your thumb in there and remove the check leaving the skin on the fish. Thx for the tip about the throat part, never knew that. How big of a pc of meat is that? About the same as the check or more?

No need to remove the skin, I used to do this but stopped as it is about as pointless as scaling a trout. They taste exactly the same either way. Love the bacon wrapped idea Alberta Deer, will deffinatly give that a try.

TROLLER
06-10-2012, 09:22 AM

X2 Nothing better. Fry em in garlic butter same as scallops as far as I am concerned.

Alberta Bigbore
06-10-2012, 09:34 AM
I take it that you travel with a large family or have some type of interprovincial commercial license?

Free

Some of the ex's family commercial fish. I'm friends with the family, and help out with some chores while I visit in exchange for some tasty fillets.

sureshot
06-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore

Free

Didn't you know he has a giant freezer truck that he drives around.:sSc_hiding::scared0018:

Andy

Alberta Bigbore
06-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore

Free

Didn't you know he has a giant freezer truck that he drives around.:sSc_hiding::scared0018:

Andy

that's all tricked out on chrome 22's. Lol

Freedom55
06-10-2012, 10:18 AM
[QUOTE

Andy[/QUOTE]

Bwaahahahaha

Free

pickrel pat
06-10-2012, 01:20 PM
in catch and release lakes i come home with bag fulls of cheeks. have your knife ready and cut em out fast and get the fish back in the water. doesnt harm the fish and you still get a feed of walleye. since you release the fish you cant be charged.:scared0018:

Alberta Bigbore
06-10-2012, 01:33 PM
in catch and release lakes i come home with bag fulls of cheeks. have your knife ready and cut em out fast and get the fish back in the water. doesnt harm the fish and you still get a feed of walleye. since you release the fish you cant be charged.:scared0018:

trolling comment of the year award goes to........

pickrel pat
06-10-2012, 01:35 PM
trolling comment of the year award goes to........

lol, couldnt resist.

Lefty-Canuck
06-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Thats why all the walleye in Hasse are cheek-less! Last time I experienced anything "cheek-less" was when I met ABB in the Cambodian Tire parking lot...it was not a pretty sight....:)

Rock Doctor
06-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Best part of the fish, we always cook them up with the rest of the fish. Dip in egg, roll in Corn Flake Crumbs and seasoning, fry in a little oil.
looks like this
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Snapbucket/2F45F14A.jpg

At the start of this vid I remove the cheeks from a Walleye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B33XTxf5jc

RD

208prov
06-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Here is my christmas treat. Alot of walleyes in this bucket.

pickrel pat
06-10-2012, 03:13 PM
mmmm, i want your cheeks!

Alberta Bigbore
06-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Thats why all the walleye in Hasse are cheek-less! Last time I experienced anything "cheek-less" was when I met ABB in the Cambodian Tire parking lot...it was not a pretty sight....:)

oh you seen cheeks alright....i tried on the butt-less chaps you sold me and you know it!

Lefty-Canuck
06-10-2012, 05:33 PM
oh you seen cheeks alright....i tried on the butt-less chaps you sold me and you know it!

.....don't you hate when a good joke backfires....:)