PDA

View Full Version : can you use spoons or spinners for perch ?

flsh
06-09-2012, 10:18 PM
anyone catch perch with spoons or spinners before? , i would like to try them out.
is this good time to catch perch ? any lake is good ? thanks for you help.

seahawkfisher
06-09-2012, 11:22 PM
you can; i've caught them on 3" twisters and cranks too -- but you might get more if you try a slip bobber rig.
cheers

fishunter
06-09-2012, 11:25 PM
My friend u have it wrong. that stragity of hooks will not work so well for U. U have to go to perch school. :test:

Cal
06-09-2012, 11:34 PM
anyone catch perch with spoons or spinners before? , i would like to try them out.
is this good time to catch perch ? any lake is good ? thanks for you help.

Caught plenty of them on small spoons, cant see why they wouldnt take a spinner. Perch are usualy holding right on the bottom though and to best catch them you need to keep your lure or bait close to the bottom. For this reason casting spoons and spinners is probably not the best method, if you want to cast and retrieve working a small jig allong the bottom will work better.

flsh
06-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Caught plenty of them on small spoons, cant see why they wouldnt take a spinner. Perch are usualy holding right on the bottom though and to best catch them you need to keep your lure or bait close to the bottom. For this reason casting spoons and spinners is probably not the best method, if you want to cast and retrieve working a small jig allong the bottom will work better.

So what is the size of spoons do you use? Small jig with fake bait ? Thanks for your reply !

Solle
06-10-2012, 12:55 AM
I'm curious where your fishing for perch

WayneChristie
06-10-2012, 10:12 AM
with lures you will likely end up hooking a good number of pike too, found that out the hard(fun) way

Geezle
06-10-2012, 11:27 AM
So what is the size of spoons do you use? Small jig with fake bait ? Thanks for your reply !

*If* you're bent on using spoons for perch go as small as you can. Tiny Len Thompson spoons should do the trick, as well as possibly small Fiord spoons.

Really though your best bet would be a tiny jig 1/32oz-1/64oz tipped with a couple maggots, preferably under a bobber. A tiny twister tail wouldn't hurt either, especially if you're planning to cast/retrieve your lure.

flsh
06-10-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm curious where your fishing for perch

From shore ,

flsh
06-10-2012, 01:01 PM
*If* you're bent on using spoons for perch go as small as you can. Tiny Len Thompson spoons should do the trick, as well as possibly small Fiord spoons.

Really though your best bet would be a tiny jig 1/32oz-1/64oz tipped with a couple maggots, preferably under a bobber. A tiny twister tail wouldn't hurt either, especially if you're planning to cast/retrieve your lure.

Thanks for your repley . I will try the jig for sure. I don't use how to use bobber. I love to cast , more fun when u catch the fish . Thanks again

Cal
06-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks for your repley . I will try the jig for sure. I don't use how to use bobber. I love to cast , more fun when u catch the fish . Thanks again

Depending on the perch the lures dont have to be microscopic, I've caught plenty on 1/16 - 1/8 oz jigs with a 2" twister tail.

Heres a dynamite setup that I use through the ice that would probably work awesome when cast and retrieved. Tie on a #3 Swedish Pimple and then about a foot above it tie on something realy small like a tear drop or fly, or even just a baited hook. Cast the rig out there and let the pimple take it to the bottom, work the pimple along the bottom in hops like you would with a jig, in between hops let the jiggin spoon lie on the bottom and jiggle the teardrop around.

Canadianfarmgal
06-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Heres a dynamite setup that I use through the ice that would probably work awesome when cast and retrieved. Tie on a #3 Swedish Pimple and then about a foot above it tie on something realy small like a tear drop or fly, or even just a baited hook. Cast the rig out there and let the pimple take it to the bottom, work the pimple along the bottom in hops like you would with a jig, in between hops let the jiggin spoon lie on the bottom and jiggle the teardrop around.

Thanks for the setup advice. :sHa_shakeshout:

flsh
06-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Depending on the perch the lures dont have to be microscopic, I've caught plenty on 1/16 - 1/8 oz jigs with a 2" twister tail.

its very help. thanks :sHa_shakeshout:

flsh
06-10-2012, 08:44 PM
how was the spring lake doing for the trout and perch ? is there any spot from shore ?i am going to try it out tomorrow ? any information is good . thanks all of you

The-Legend
06-10-2012, 09:29 PM
I've caught hundreds with small panther martins... theres a pond off the burnstick lake road right beside the birch lake turn off... several years ago we thought the pond was birch lake and we were after brookies so we were chucking spinners out and caught nothing but perch.. ****ty thing was at the time they were spawning and many would blow a load on us HAH... also have caught a few out of sundance with panther martins.