PDA

View Full Version : Pontoon Question...

bwackwabbit
06-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Well since the gale force north winds have effectively forced me to research pontoons (upcoming purchase). I was wondering how everyone transports them?

I Drive a 2011 Kia Sportage so "chuck in the truck" isn't an option. Just looking for input. The toon I'm looking at is 9'.

Cheers.

Lefty-Canuck
06-10-2012, 08:16 AM
I think your options are limited to roof rack....small utility trailer....or deflate and fold.

LC

bwackwabbit
06-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Does "deflate and fold" repeatedly cause damage to it? Looking at maybe 15-20 uses per year.

Cheers.

bwackwabbit
06-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Wow! That is exactly the info I was looking for.

Cheers.

El Pescador
06-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Excellent advice Jet. I was going to say almost all of the same points save for the mini pump and PSI gauge.

Where did you find those two items? I have been in the awkward position of under inflation as well and it would be great to know if I had filled both portions equally.

One thing I can add though is to get yourself a longer anchor line than what comes with your boat. I found myself nearly half way across the Lower Kananaskis even after dropping anchor... At least it was a nice day for a row....

bwackwabbit
06-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks again for the great tips. The majority of that I have. Just one question though, what is a bailing line?

Cheers.

MK2750
06-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Was in Costco Red Deer yesterday and they had a 9 ft pontoon on display. Looked like a good boat and the price was right. This is the first time I have seen them in stock here.

Bow flyman
06-10-2012, 02:16 PM
I deflate the pontoons, and stack them. Then I use snubber rubbers to tie down the cage to the truck bed. Not the easiest unit to transport and set up, but they are sure nice to use on the water.

bwackwabbit
06-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Was in Costco Red Deer yesterday and they had a 9 ft pontoon on display. Looked like a good boat and the price was right. This is the first time I have seen them in stock here.

That's the one I bought, was on their website @ $599 and instore for $329.
I'll post a review once I get it on the water this week.

Cheers.

mayuan
06-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Thanks again for the great tips. The majority of that I have. Just one question though, what is a bailing line?

Cheers.

I think the bailing line he is talking about is the 'throw rope bag'. I use one on my pontoon as the anchor rope. If I'm in trouble the bag can be deattached from the boat and thrown for help with the anchor attached to the other end.

bwackwabbit
06-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Gotcha, thanfully I have all this safety gear from my other boat.
Thanks again for the valuable info folks!

Cheers.