PDA

View Full Version : Floating upstream

chad66
06-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Well I had an interesting day today. I left a little after six this morning heading towards the sun, with a clear blue sky. I pulled my boat down the Fox lake road to where it meets the Wabasca River. A friend of mine following in case the road conditions deteriorated and I needed help. We were able to launch there with no difficulties and spent the next few hours catching walleye very near the confluence to the Peace River.

Apparently it is raining up south, and to the west, because the Peace River has risen about four feet since Friday and the Wabasca was high and murky as well. Anyway, after fishing for a few hours we decided to go upstream on the Wabasca to a fishing hole we frequent. On the way there we stopped at the mouth of Bear creek and fished for a while. We didn’t catch anything, so for the heck of it we thought we would see how far we could go upstream on Bear creek. After about five miles we stopped the boat to have a bite to eat. There wasn’t a breath of wind, yet over the next ten minutes, as we sat there eating our lunch, the boat drifted upstream. It was a bit surreal to think about the awesome power of the Peace River, and its ability to reverse the flow of a drainage system.