PDA

View Full Version : 2nd attempt feed back and advise

Donny Bear
06-10-2012, 07:49 PM
This is a 1.4 lbs Perch I have attached the reference photo I used picture color is greener than the fish looks.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff248/escanabajimmer/P1030506.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff248/escanabajimmer/IMG_3994a.jpg

kissarmygeneral
06-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Looks really good to me. Good work.

Lefty-Canuck
06-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Looks great! You sir have a talent for sure!

LC

slivers86
06-10-2012, 07:58 PM
looks nice.

djpanda
06-10-2012, 08:53 PM
So all you need is a pic, and it turns out like that!!?? I have a pic of some fish with measurements. Could you do them????

deepfried
06-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Looks awesome!!

bloopbloob
06-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Only because you're looking to improve, not criticizing at all, I think it looks great! But missing a stripe, the white is a bit too white, the tail should be darker, and the fins are a little weird colored. But great job, I think anybody would be happy with that! How do you do it!!! All airbrush?

fishdude17
06-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Looks like some fantastic work to me!! :sSig_cool2:

BeeGuy
06-10-2012, 10:46 PM
What are we looking at?

Is this a skin mount you did yourself?

quiteeye
06-10-2012, 10:55 PM
That is amazing!

waterninja
06-10-2012, 11:31 PM
didn't comment on the walleye but the perch looks great. your definetly getting better and it's hard to believe this is only your second one. remember us little people when you get famous.

Alberta Bigbore
06-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Thats great!!

matathonman
06-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Your first attempt needed a bit of work with the brightness but I'll tell you what...this one is bang on I think. I'm pretty picky and am a fan of taking measurements and pics for a reproduction.I honestly dont believe you can get a perfect paint job like your fish unless you find someone that does nothing but and lives for fishing!
Ya your fish is brighter but it's painted not alive. I'm sure if I looked at it I'd pick it apart but at first glance I'd say I's pretty darn impressed! first impressions are everything though aren't they?

Good Job man!!

Donny Bear
06-11-2012, 06:05 AM
Only because you're looking to improve, not criticizing at all, I think it looks great! But missing a stripe, the white is a bit too white, the tail should be darker, and the fins are a little weird colored. But great job, I think anybody would be happy with that! How do you do it!!! All airbrush?

The stripe was kind of funny I bet it ws 2 hours befor I noticed that I had missed one lol

Thanks for the other observations I think your bang on and I will get better because of them :)

Donny Bear
06-11-2012, 06:09 AM
Your first attempt needed a bit of work with the brightness but I'll tell you what...this one is bang on I think. I'm pretty picky and am a fan of taking measurements and pics for a reproduction.I honestly dont believe you can get a perfect paint job like your fish unless you find someone that does nothing but and lives for fishing!
Ya your fish is brighter but it's painted not alive. I'm sure if I looked at it I'd pick it apart but at first glance I'd say I's pretty darn impressed! first impressions are everything though aren't they?

Good Job man!!

Thanks thats encouraging I also find the paint reacts quite different to the camera it's not quite as bright as it looks but I need to figure out how to tone it down for sure I think I need some brown or something to take the green down a notch.

Thanks much appreciated

Oh and to everyone thanks a bunch!

Yéil
06-11-2012, 07:00 AM
Donny, I have a nice little instruction booklet (electronic) on how to photograph artwork so the work stays true. I can email you a copy of it if you like.

Next time you photograph your work, try placing it in open shade and don't use the flash. You'll find your colours stay true to the piece that way.

To reduce the chroma of your colours, try mixing with either the complementary colour, a white or grey. You can also reduce chroma by glazing. Be careful using the run-of-the-mill colour wheels, they tend to be on the low end of the chroma, hue and value of colours. Try using the Munsell color system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munsell_color_system)to mix your colours.

Donny Bear
06-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Donny, I have a nice little instruction booklet (electronic) on how to photograph artwork so the work stays true. I can email you a copy of it if you like.

Next time you photograph your work, try placing it in open shade and don't use the flash. You'll find your colours stay true to the piece that way.

To reduce the chroma of your colours, try mixing with either the complementary colour, a white or grey. You can also reduce chroma by glazing. Be careful using the run-of-the-mill colour wheels, they tend to be on the low end of the chroma, hue and value of colours. Try using the Munsell color system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munsell_color_system)to mix your colours.

Thanks very much

Donny Bear
06-11-2012, 05:43 PM
This is a 1.4 lbs Perch I have attached the reference photo I used picture color is greener than the fish looks.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff248/escanabajimmer/P1030506.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff248/escanabajimmer/IMG_3994a.jpg

Ok so made some changes based on some obvious issues and took the next picture in natural light

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff248/escanabajimmer/P1030508.jpg

BeeGuy
06-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Donny,

Is that a skin mount?

The colours look...great!

The original fish looks a bit fatter than the mount, but that is a great looking reproduction. Well done.

Could you give us some insight into your technique?

Donny Bear
06-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Donny,

Is that a skin mount?

The colours look...great!

The original fish looks a bit fatter than the mount, but that is a great looking reproduction. Well done.

Could you give us some insight into your technique?

It is a reproduction from B.C. Fish Tales

I tried to follow a paint schedule but it was not close to the actual fish so I used the normal technique called antiqueing sprayed the fish black and then rubbed it off will steel wool then I began mixing and blending on white paper to get the colours close and went for it kind of rednecked approach but I did take a 2 hour seminar from Joe kish a year ago in March and it helped Just wish I would have tried sooner!

Redneck Renagade
06-11-2012, 06:57 PM
That's sweet looking. Good job make sure you post more pics they look awesome:sign0005:

ndw
06-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Beautiful job.Keep up the good work. I would not have second thoughts about your work.

wbaj
06-11-2012, 09:16 PM
That looks real good, if I was to be picky I would comment on putting some lighter colored stripes in the fin, but man that would be a bit anal. I like it a lot, good work.

silverdoctor
06-11-2012, 11:44 PM
I definitely like it. I never had the talents to do anything artistic.

djpanda
06-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Unreal.... Great work!!!! Pure talent

Kim473
06-12-2012, 05:39 AM
Great job!

Fish lost a little of its belly tho.

K44
06-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Great Job Donny