PDA

View Full Version : Home Built Trailer Registration

beerhonky
06-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Hello all,

I have read lots of threads on home built tailer registration and pretty much get the jist of it. I just have a few questions more geared towards my current situation.

I purchased a home built boat trailer from B.C. from a family friend. It is currently registered but does not have a VIN. Apperantly you can register trailers in B.C. as U-BILT without a VIN.

I can get a "In Transit" permit to get it to Alberta. I will be contacting the Alberta Assigned Vehicle Program to get a VIN put on but had a few questions regarding that process.

1. Do I need an inspection or do they look at in when getting the VIN? The trailer is single axle.

2. At what wieght are trailer breaks required. The trailer is for a 14 foot aluminum and on the current owners registration it says 700kg which I think is highly over estimated. The trailer does not have breaks now and I don't believe they are require. I just don't want any suprises when I get it home.

3. How long does the entire process from applying to getting the VIN take? I want to use it as soon as possible.

4. Some of the threads said that they mostly look for if any stolen parts were used. Ican assure none were used but I don't believe the owner/builder still as the reciepts of his materials.Is this an issue?

Any info appreciated

Kokanee9
06-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Years ago, I went to register a utility trailer and could not find the serial # on it. I told the lady that I had looked all over and she was welcome to look herself if she wanted me to bring it over. She ended up putting it as "Homebuilt".

TROLLER
06-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Used to just put homebuilt on the registration but now I am sure you willhave to have it saftey checked. A simple call to a local registries office will answer your question.

fishnab
06-12-2012, 09:23 AM
I registered a boat trailer about 3 years ago for a 12' aluminum. Had to book an apointment and the guy comes to you. He verified there was no serial number and created one with a tag he attaches. He asked some questions, like where you got it, price etc and did a walk around. At that time, that was the extent of the process.

Not positive if this is how it still is but, there ya go.

ivegonefishing
06-12-2012, 09:49 AM
You don't need an inspection. But, you will need to apply for an Alberta VIN, given out by the Alberta Gov't.

Go to ibc.ca.
Click on car insurance.
On the right hand side you will see Alberta VIN click on it.
Go to bottom of page and there will be forms you can download or you can use the online form and pay by credit card.

It will take from 7-10 business days (That's what they said at first and then later told me it could take up to 30 days. It was done in 14). Guy comes out, puts a plastic tag onto the frame and then punches the VIN into the frame. Then you can get your plate for it. Make sure you have your bill of sale with you!

It will cost you around $105 to get a VIN.

Hope this helps.

Nait Hadya
06-12-2012, 12:05 PM
0000001 seems a common number for home builts,that's what's on mine.

ivegonefishing
06-12-2012, 02:03 PM
0000001 seems a common number for home builts,that's what's on mine.

Alberta wants a 17 digit VIN, issued by them, on all new registrations. just one more money maker...:(

t3metro
06-12-2012, 07:49 PM
I built a utility trailer about 3 years ago had the guy come and do an assigned V.I.N. I thought it was crazy they wanted $100 for it but was thankful when two nights later it was stolen and then recovered a week later by the police, they called me to pick it up cause it had my V.I.N. on it.