PDA

View Full Version : Artic Grayling

orca
04-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Recently moved to Edson and I want to try some float trips down some of the local rivers . I want to try for some Artic Grayling what is the best time of year . What fly's work the best . I need to get my stock up.

Alberta Bigbore
04-03-2008, 03:28 PM
i prefer my grayling fishing in the fall, but if there is a stream with trout and grayling, ill fish late summer as well. depending on what waterbody, ill use attractor patterns for dries, and small dark nymphs.

remember that just because Grayling are well known to hit dries, does not mean you use them any time of day. early morning until the water heats up, ill use Nymphs, then ill switch to a dry/nymph combo on a dropper system, then once the hatches fire up, and/or the grayling just start to rise, Ill switch to Dries only.

i find color varies on the stream and what food or hatch is on at the time.

deerassassin
04-17-2008, 11:48 AM
panter martins also work well for graylin

Walleyes
04-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Love going for Grayling,, size for size one of the best scrappers in the water..

Here are a couple pics from a little stream from my neck of the woods, all taken on the fly rod..

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/walleyes_2006/IMG_0989.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/walleyes_2006/IMG_0992.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/walleyes_2006/IMG_1001.jpg

With out a doubt it is one of the high lights of our summer when we head out for Grayling..

Ayr
04-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Great pics Walleyes,

Thanks for sharing,

Ayr.

thumper
04-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Great photos Walleyes,

This shot isn't near as good - but it's a good sized grayling from Quarry Lake - just a 5 minute drive from downtown Canmore.
And April's the best time to fish Quarry - no boat or float tube required.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/Canmoron/graylingmay04.jpg

Walleyes
04-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Wow quite the hog there thumper,, that is a real dandy...

jrs
04-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Beauty fish guys. Sure like the color on grayling, very neat fish.

Rigg dogg
04-20-2008, 12:19 AM
Nice fish guys, gotta love those NORTHERN Sailfish. Scrappy little buggers!
Walleye's, care to give up your spot where your catching them??
I know, right by the LIP:) :)

Tako
04-20-2008, 03:36 AM
Hey Orca, walk and wade on the Embarass will never let you down. Lotso fish in there :cool:

Try to C&R :wave:

kissacoyote
04-20-2008, 03:38 AM
I fished a lot of streams in North of Prince George BC in the early 70s. The blacker the fly the better. Really dark brown sometimes worked in the absence of black, but say, 20%. Better than nothing. The really surprising thing was that for a certain period, a sky/baby blue worked almost as well as the black. Nothing fancy. Just a plain single hook with jet black or baby blue(sometimes). Of course, that was a long time ago in a different area, with probably different bugs, but if I was going after them again, that's where I'd start. (The Dollys loved them too)

orca
04-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Found a book called The Fly Tying Bible by Peter Gaththercole
One of the best fly tying books I have used . Has a list of flys for different species of fish . Great how to descriptions for making flys.

orca
04-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Have been doing lots of driving around and talking to people in area lots of streams and lakes to choose from. Can't wait for spring to actually show up , weather keeps teasing . Got another 3" of show over weekend. Where is this global warming I keep hearing about . Mind you there is a another group of scientists that say that we are now going into a cool down stage.

Sbrooks
04-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Nice pics.

Grayling can be a great fight:cool:

Walleyes
04-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Nice fish guys, gotta love those NORTHERN Sailfish. Scrappy little buggers!
Walleye's, care to give up your spot where your catching them??
I know, right by the LIP:) :)
Nah I got no problem telling people where I fish..

We fish the House River, We start where the house meets Hwy# 63 and work our way down stream fishing to where the Bear meets the House and then generally work our way back up the Bear..

I posted a bit on it last June after we got back from our trip, put a search on it I beleive I had a bit of info on it..

But again if you do head up there, please take extra care of the area, The House river has came a long ways the last few years. At one time it was a fairly popular fishery and as such the stream showed it. It is pretty quiet out there now a days and it is a very pristine clean little piece of water, lets keep it that way..

thumper
04-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Class act Walleyes. I doubt I'll ever fish that way, so I won't directly benefit - but you answered that request generously and sincerely. Nice to see.

Tako
04-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Nah I got no problem telling people where I fish..

We fish the House River, We start where the house meets Hwy# 63 and work our way down stream fishing to where the Bear meets the House and then generally work our way back up the Bear..

I posted a bit on it last June after we got back from our trip, put a search on it I beleive I had a bit of info on it..

But again if you do head up there, please take extra care of the area, The House river has came a long ways the last few years. At one time it was a fairly popular fishery and as such the stream showed it. It is pretty quiet out there now a days and it is a very pristine clean little piece of water, lets keep it that way..

Posting it on the internet and hoping it'll stay pristine? Ya, right :lol: Gonna be a dozen sets of quad tracks right thru the river now :huh:

Tako
04-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Oh, and they are one of the best fish going thats for sure.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/Tako870/Alberta-Work12.jpg

Rigg dogg
04-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the info Walleyes, I guess it might have been a better question to PM then to ask on the open forum.:ashamed:
I am going to have to give it a try this summer.
We used to catch some nice ones in the fall right in front of my buddy's lodge up on Lake Athabasca.

Thanks again

Walleyes
04-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the info Walleyes, I guess it might have been a better question to PM then to ask on the open forum.
I am going to have to give it a try this summer.
We used to catch some nice ones in the fall right in front of my buddy's lodge up on Lake Athabasca.

It doesn't really matter rigg I hope that you do run up to the House and give it a try,, I beleive our fish in A.B. are for all of us to enjoy, as long as we respect the fishery and who's back yard we are in we should all enjoy our waters.

Walleyes
04-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Posting it on the internet and hoping it'll stay pristine? Ya, right :lol: Gonna be a dozen sets of quad tracks right thru the river now :huh:
Be pretty tough since there are no quad trails into this area.. She is foot access only...

pecker
04-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Be pretty tough since there are no quad trails into this area.. She is foot access only...

thanks for sharing walleyes:) :) but sometimes its ok to keep your honey hole to yourself. a pm is good in this case . its sad that some people on this forum would quad or dirt bike advantage into a pristine area , that's life:tongue2: --keep your line tight:wave: :wave:

catnthehat
04-20-2008, 05:31 PM
thanks for sharing walleyes:) :) but sometimes its ok to keep your honey hole to yourself. a pm is good in this case . its sad that some people on this forum would quad or dirt bike advantage into a pristine area , that's life:tongue2: --keep your line tight:wave: :wave:
The House and Hangingstone are hardly "secret"!!
You cross them both on the way up to my town.
I've fished them both for over 20 years, but the fishing up North is MUCH better, Charlotte river for one, and any small river getting into Lake Athabsca.
The fish up there average 18" and you can get many 20"+ during an afternoon.

The House and hangingstone are lotsa fun however....
Cat

huntin'fool
04-20-2008, 05:33 PM
TAKO, when was the last time you fished the Embarass???

Tako
04-20-2008, 05:41 PM
August 07. Lots of grayling and bows

Pheasantnut
04-23-2008, 07:42 PM
I find fall fishes better than spring for grayling. As for fly selection in my experience anything with red in it for dryfly action( ie humpy) as for nymphs like someone said earlier anything dark coloured. Nymphing has produced the biggest fish for me. Cheers

jrs
04-23-2008, 07:46 PM
X2 on the Embarrass. I didn't land any but the guy i was with last time out managed three, the one was around 18''. All on spinners, all i could catch were dozens of silly little rainbows on my flies :)

sdimedru
09-15-2010, 10:15 AM
bringin up an old old thread, where abouts were you fishing on the Embarass? I can see 2 points I was thinking of trying;

1. down highway 47 and turn south at the Sundance turn (where you can access both Embarass and Erith)
2. further down highway 47 near the Embarass town