PDA

View Full Version : New to Alberta and this board

Hodgey
04-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Hey Gents,

Well work has brought me to Lethbridge, Alberta from Toronto. I'm a huge fisherman, however I have NO CLUE of where to begin in the Lethbridge area. I have looked on maps and see the OldMan River, Keho Lake, Travers Resevoir etc. I have a boat and I'm always willing to travel to lakes up to 3 to 4 hours away. Also, are there any local bait / tackle shops around this area?

I have fished for Walleye mostly, however I am interested in anything that swims. I can also fly fish for Trout.

BTW - If there are any guys in the Lethbridge area, maybe we could connect and swap stories.

Any help would REALLY be appreciated.

Cheers, Hodgey...

SuCraM
04-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Hey Gents,

Well work has brought me to Lethbridge, Alberta from Toronto. I'm a huge fisherman, however I have NO CLUE of where to begin in the Lethbridge area. I have looked on maps and see the OldMan River, Keho Lake, Travers Resevoir etc. I have a boat and I'm always willing to travel to lakes up to 3 to 4 hours away. Also, are there any local bait / tackle shops around this area?

I have fished for Walleye mostly, however I am interested in anything that swims. I can also fly fish for Trout.

BTW - If there are any guys in the Lethbridge area, maybe we could connect and swap stories.

Cheers, Hodgey...
Keho and Travers are both good from what I have been told by a friend that lives around Lethbridge. Oldman should be good for some trout action and as for bait and tackle hit the Wholesale Sports in Lethbridge it has by far the best prices and selection on everything you would ever need for hunting and fishing.

hunt_and_fish
04-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Welcome to the board Hodgey. I don't have any tips for down by Lethbridge but there are bound to be lots of guys on here that can help you out. Enjoy your stay.

Scott N
04-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Go to your local news stand and pick up a copy of a magazine called "Barry Mitchell's Alberta Fishing Guide." It's a magazine with a few articles that is published every year, but it has a listing of most of the lakes / streams / rivers in Alberta and a description of what kind of fish are in them and how to get to there.

For trout fishing, Beaver Mines Lake, Beauvais Lake, and Police Outpost Lake are all in or near the mountains west of Lethbridge. They are stocked with trout every year, and while you usually don't catch big fish, the numbers are there and the scenary is tough to beat.

bigdeer91
04-04-2008, 01:25 PM
ill be heading down there this comeing week .i know a few hot spots for some realy good fishing .i have a friend that live in cardston 45 minets from you.if you would like send me a pm and maybe we could meat up some whereand do some fishing.

Okotokian
04-04-2008, 01:28 PM
You came to a pretty good place to fish... dust off the fly rod and head into the crowsnest pass area!

duffy4
04-04-2008, 01:42 PM
X2 on Barry Mitchell's Fishing guide. If you can fish in it, it will be in the guide.

Also get yourself a copy of the Guide to Fishing regulations and learn how to use it to find out all the regulations on any waterbody you may want to fish.

Good luck to ya!

Robin in Rocky

KyleM
04-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Hodgey, nice to see some fellow southern ontarians around.
Iam from Guelph but I live in Grande Prairie.

Are you by chance a member of OFN?

pecker
04-04-2008, 05:59 PM
:wave: Hey Gents,

Cheers, Hodgey...
welcome to the forum :wave: check the 60 some pages of threads in this forum . you'll find some very useful info . good luck .:) :)

Hodgey
04-05-2008, 06:01 AM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your help, this will make my move to the West much more enjoyable knowing that I will be able to fish as much as I did in the East.

I will certainly pick up the magazines/books you guys mentioned. Although, I didn't hear anyone mention Walleye...is there any Walleye in the lakes or resevoirs around Lethbridge or a short distance away?

Thanks agian,

Cheers, Hodgey...

Versatile
04-05-2008, 06:30 AM
Welcome aboard I am just east of you in Taber. There is Nicholas Sheran on the West Side with some big brown trout, brook trout, and its not unheard of for 15 or 20 pound pike to come out of there.

Heading west there is Payne Lake, Lee Lake, Beavious Lake for trout (theres alot more these are jsut the ones I always fish). Then there is the Red Deer River and Bow river north of us and the Crowsnest River to the west.

South of Taber at Chin lake has some big walleye (10 lbs) as well as Sherburn east of taber.

The Forks hold some big walleye and sturgeon as well.

Sage
04-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Welcome to the Board..:wave:

barbless
04-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Hey Hodgey, welcome to Alberta. I am also from T.O. Been here since '78. If you love the Walleye fish'n' then ask around about Crawling Valley. It is one of the best fish'n' holes around within 1-1/2 hrs. north of where you are. Just a little north and west of Bassano Ab. It can be a little windy at times and shallow with rocks on either side of lake. Hope you have a sonar, if not go slow near shore lines. The east shore is real bad for rocks they come out along way. You will be in 2 ft. before you know it. If you have boat I would suggest go up the middle to the northwest end and work your way back. This lake is catch and release for Walleye. There are also Pike in there. Please abide by fish'n' reg's so we can all catch some. Good Fish'n'. Also pick up some reg's & buy a licence

Mish
05-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Hey Hodgey, welcome to Alberta and AO! I'm a Toronto girl myself, Alberta is a big change, to say the least. :lol: