PDA

View Full Version : what fly rod is better?t&t or sage?

marty
04-05-2008, 08:58 PM
am looking to purchase a new fly rod and having a hard time deciding what brand to get. was wandering if there were some fly fisherman who might have an opinion on which would be better. i'm trying to decide between thomas & thomas helix or the sage z axis. the sizes would be 8'6" 4w & 9' 6w.

skykomish sunrise
04-05-2008, 09:01 PM
I use a sage 696xp and i love it...very fast and yet can still present a fly when needed.

Highcountry
04-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Sage all the way, would not have anything else havn't tried the Z axis got afew Xp's in all sizes and would not trade them for the world!

mudkid
04-05-2008, 11:03 PM
I have both and prefer T & T's. I would go cast them a pick the one that feels best for your type of casting.

Good Luck

ABDUKNUT
04-05-2008, 11:25 PM
In a 6 weight, I can't imagine a better rod than an XP but of course there are many people out there who would disagree... You're best off to try them both out and see what suits YOU the best.
Why a 4 and a 6? Get a 5 and spend the rest of your money other stuff?
I use my XP 5# on everything from small grayling on up to medium sized salmon.

Albertabowhunter
04-06-2008, 05:07 AM
I use a sage 696xp and i love it...very fast and yet can still present a fly when needed.

You suck and catch little fish!!!!! :D How ya doing S!

elnino54
04-06-2008, 08:23 AM
In this day and age, you don't need to spend a fortune on a fly rod. Have a look at Temple Fork Outfitter rods.....

skykomish sunrise
04-07-2008, 04:46 PM
I only let you catch bigger ones so you will keep coming fishing....you have a fragile ego:)

TundraBuck
04-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Sage XP. Enough said.

Pheasantnut
04-08-2008, 03:28 PM
BOth companies offer high end products. My advise is to go and cast both rods and see which rod's action fits your casting stroke better. You really can't go wrong with either rod. As for the weight it depends on what you want to fish for.

Huntingonthebrain
04-10-2008, 06:07 PM
In this day and age, you don't need to spend a fortune on a fly rod. Have a look at Temple Fork Outfitter rods.....

Just got my first TFO signature in a 7 wt 4pc. Looks great can't wait to try it! Great price too! $175

flygiirl
04-12-2008, 08:30 PM
I have been flyfishing for many years, probably longer than some of you have been on this round circle... I purchased a Winston 8.5 , 4 weight Joan Wulff Favorite ( not that you guys would use it ) about 10 years ago and broke it on a stick fish in Pararie creek last year.. I love this rod and I guess my point is that I sent it to Montana to Winston Rod Co and they built me a whole new butt section as it is a 3 piece rod for FREE... So paying a little more for a quality rod pays in the long run... The customer service was to die for I was never treated better in my life. All that being said if your new to fly fishing maybe start with a med priced rod and graduate to something a little more expensive. It does make a difference.. Sage does make a nice rod as does Winston and than there are the custom built rods and so on and so on and so on..........

SNIPER
04-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Sage and Temple fork also have a lifetime warranty. I don't know about T&T but I assume they would have it too.