PDA

View Full Version : Where would you guys camp? Sylvan or Pigeon?

Spidey
06-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Our oldest has a summer arts camp at RDC in July and we're going to camp nearby and are trying to decide Sylvan (Jarvis) or Pigeon. We'll be bringing the fishing canoe and electric trolling motor. I'm leaning towards Pigeon but not sure which is the best campsite (Zeiner or Provincial). We don't need power and prefer treed site and ideally something near the water where we could park the canoe. Ideally, I don't want to have to cover a ton of water to get into fish.

Suggestions?

RapStaff
06-24-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure that either location has sites on the water.
There is no launch at Zeiner. So you will either have to pack your canoe to shore or go down to Fisher Holme to launch.
Prov. Park has a launch, you will still probably have to drive to put in.
Pretty sure there is no water side sites there either.

Watch the wind, Pigeon can start to roll in a hurry.

Good luck!

Spidey
06-24-2012, 09:00 PM
There is no launch at Zeiner. So you will either have to pack your canoe to shore or go down to Fisher Holme to launch.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I'm fine with packing the canoe a few hundred feet to the water if I can leave it on shore for a few days, or drive to a boat launch is fine too if I can leave it on shore nearby. My preference is to be within a km or two of fishing via canoe and be able to keep it relatively close to the campsite without having to load it up each night.

Gus
06-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Or you could try gull lake provincial campground. It's closer than pigeon and less busy than sylvan.

RapStaff
06-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Provincial park, about 500 yards straight east from the swimming beach.
Hit 18 feet and drop anchor.
A jighead and a minnow should do it.

Lefty-Canuck
06-24-2012, 09:26 PM

Good luck!

There is a launch just down from Zeiner though....use it all the time....not even 1 minute from the gates to Zeiner.

LC

djlovebug
06-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Gull lake is alot closer to Red Deer and the fishing is decent. Wilsons beach campground on the east side of the lake has some spots right near the water and launch. you can go a little south from here just past a point and get into some good eyes with the right hardware and lots of pike. You can even catch some straight out from the campground. Nice little campground, but if you choose it, i would suggest getting ahold of them asap as it will be busy come the summer months.