PDA

View Full Version : nordegg fishing

foxonlsd
06-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Hi im planing on taking my 2 boys [17 and 6 new to fishing] fishing in nordegg this long weekend and was wondering what fishing spots there are up there .Im aware of the 3 stocked ex gravel pits areas but was wondering where one would go to find fish a little bigger[possible 10 lb] and what fish are in what lakes up there. Never really fished in alberta before, use to the trent river and bay of quinte in ontario. .

jungleboy
06-24-2012, 08:45 PM
The NSR where the Trunk rd crosses has a nice spot for trout , but if you are looking for something that compares to Bay of Quinte or Trent R. in Alberta .... my condolences:thinking-006:

foxonlsd
06-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Well as long as they can catch their first fish i supose anything will do lol.Took them a few times around calgary on the bow but never cought a thing. I really dont have a clue where to take them in alberta without a boat.... was looking into renting a boat for lake minawalka as there are suposed to be some real monster lakers in there but think my budget wont handle that. I am open to sugestions for anywhere in alberta for the boys to catch some decent size fish 1-2 lb with chance for 5-10 lbers if such a place exsits south of edmonton for shoreline fishing.

338Bluff
06-24-2012, 09:29 PM
What are you looking for a lake or small stream fishing? Fly or spin fish. Keep in mind just about 90% of the water out there is bait ban and zero retention.

If you want to catch cutthroat try the North Ram, Wapiabi, or Blackstone River. You can shore fish for rainbows at Fish (Shunda) Lake and around the river mouths (Tershishner and Cline) on Abraham Lake for rockies and trout. Bait is allowed at Fish Lake and you can keep what you catch.

Rabdo
06-24-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm heading down to Peppers lake, south of nordegg on the trunk road. Anyone been there? what's the fishin like?

tight line
06-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Your not gonna catch much river fishing out west with all the rain,combinedw/ run off they are all pretty dirty. fish lake, phyllis lake have big brood stock rainbows(6-12+lbs) they are sometimes picky, but are plentiful.bait, lures and weighted flies work good. As far as lake trout, if you havent fished for them before and not familiar with the lake, kinda a long shot, and a boat is almost a necesity. Good luck!

djlovebug
06-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Goldeye lake is just past fish lake, little smaller, but nice campground. Fishing is not to bad, but with no boat you'll have to find a spot you can get ur bait out past the shallow water. Worms on a hook on the bottom. southeast corner.

foxonlsd
06-24-2012, 10:36 PM
What are you looking for a lake or small stream fishing? Fly or spin fish. Keep in mind just about 90% of the water out there is bait ban and zero retention.

If you want to catch cutthroat try the North Ram, Wapiabi, or Blackstone River. You can shore fish for rainbows at Fish (Shunda) Lake and around the river mouths (Tershishner and Cline) on Abraham Lake for rockies and trout. Bait is allowed at Fish Lake and you can keep what you catch.

Spin fishing never tried fly, mostly used live bait,willing to lurefish, perfer lake with campgrounds [tents] that isnt over populated,small quiet.needs to be shore fishing at this piont but a boat is my next major purchase so both types of places info would be apreciated.Be nice to keep a few so the kids can eat what they catch but I am mainly catch and release.

Bhflyfisher
06-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Go to Phyllis lake. If you want your big "10lb" fish, you'll catch the brooders and your kids will have fun playing with the stockers and perch.

Steven Noel
06-24-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm heading down to Peppers lake, south of nordegg on the trunk road. Anyone been there? what's the fishin like?

It's a nice little (key word) lake with stocked Brookies. It's small enough it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

pipco
06-25-2012, 08:37 AM
It's a nice little (key word) lake with stocked Brookies. It's small enough it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

You'd be surprised.
Scenic little lake, yes. Hit and miss.

SnoochyBoochy
06-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Pulled a couple 2.5lbers out of their last week. Great area. I think the best fishing you'll find up there is the heli fishing charters $$$

foxonlsd
06-25-2012, 08:35 PM
So phylis lake sounds good...any tips on where good shore fishing areas are at phylis?
Thanks for the info so far.

Rabdo
06-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Shore fishing spots at Phyllis are easy to get to. Basically anywhere right of the dock. You can follow that shore

foxonlsd
06-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Lucky me I just had a friend offer me his canoe and truck for the weekend.Might open up a few more possibilities...any perticular area at phyllis out of a canoe?

Springer
06-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Phyllis is not that big , so just putter around and you should connect. That was going to be my suggested Lake as well.

foxonlsd
06-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Excellent ty all for your help.HopefullyI have some pics after the trip to post.
Phylis lake looks to be about 100 ish k from dave thompson resort is that roughly corect?

foxonlsd
07-03-2012, 12:58 AM
Thanks guys kids had a blast,we cought 24 rainbows and 4 perch,all small stuff but they still had alot of fun.Now to find a place where the jackfish are as plentifull and 2-4 lbers.

duffy4
07-03-2012, 06:44 AM
Struble is a good spot. If you were going ice-fishing I'd recommend Struble over all others. Except maybe Goldeye. Peppers is the most scenic but not tops for fishing.