PDA

View Full Version : Broken piece in my reel

osedma
06-25-2012, 07:34 AM
Hi everyone,

Ok, I have a problem…This piece in my reel is broken. Is not a fancy or pricy reel….is a Shimano Solstace 4000FI. Somebody know if I can get the handle? Where can I get??…..I have looked in shimano website and they don’t sell the spare pieces for this reel…

Some thoughts?? Or should I buy a new one…?

Lefty-Canuck
06-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Give "The Reel Doctor" in Edmonton a call.....he maight have the part or know where to get one.

LC

Geezle
06-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Give "The Reel Doctor" in Edmonton a call.....he maight have the part or know where to get one.

LC

X2 on the Reel Doctor, however keep in mind that reel can be replaced for about $50 as well...if you've had the reel a long time you may want to consider just grabbing a new one.

osedma
06-25-2012, 08:37 AM
X2 on the Reel Doctor, however keep in mind that reel can be replaced for about $50 as well...if you've had the reel a long time you may want to consider just grabbing a new one.

really??? How can i do it.....???? I don't have anything from the buy. I bought it last august in canadian tire.....Thanks in advance.

Geezle
06-25-2012, 08:40 AM
really??? How can i do it.....???? I don't have anything from the buy. I bought it last august in canadian tire.....Thanks in advance.

I meant just buy a new reel...it's a relatively inexpensive reel to begin with. The part will probably cost you $10-$15, plus shipping if you're not in Edmonton. The whole reel's only $50 new.

That being said he may have a used one off an old reel that may be cheaper...who knows? Give him a call. I think a lot of the Shimano handles are interchangable.

osedma
06-25-2012, 08:54 AM
I meant just buy a new reel...it's a relatively inexpensive reel to begin with. The part will probably cost you $10-$15, plus shipping if you're not in Edmonton. The whole reel's only $50 new.

That being said he may have a used one off an old reel that may be cheaper...who knows? Give him a call. I think a lot of the Shimano handles are interchangable.

gotcha! That's what i was thinking. I went to dr reel website and they don't have it...

Any suggestions for a $50 range reel? mainly for pike.

Thanks!!

Geezle
06-25-2012, 08:57 AM
gotcha! That's what i was thinking. I went to dr reel website and they don't have it...

Thanks!!

Well, if $50 is your budget then the Solstace is a decent reel...I've had one for a few years (was the first reel I got for sturgeon) and it's still tanking along.

If you can afford a few more bucks then maybe look at the Shimano Sonora or the Pflueger President. A 2500 size will be fine, there's no need to go up to a 4000 unless you're loading it up with a mile of 10lb mono line :)

camshaft
06-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Try contacting Shimano directly. I had the drag clicker in one of my Stradic's break and they sent me a few free in the mail. Great customer service.

Garry B
06-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Try contacting Shimano directly. I had the drag clicker in one of my Stradic's break and they sent me a few free in the mail. Great customer service.

X2 on this. You will be surprised how good some of these companies can be. Particularly the Japanese manufacturers.

waterninja
06-25-2012, 12:35 PM
i happen to have an open face reel that i scavenged while cleaning litter on the nsr. the spool is missing but the handle seems fine and it's yours if it will help. i'm in edmonton. p.m. me if interested.

osedma
06-25-2012, 12:42 PM
X2 on this. You will be surprised how good some of these companies can be. Particularly the Japanese manufacturers.

Ok, I have emailed the reel dr and the piece is $29...plus shipping fees. Also I have contacted Shimano and see if they can supply me the piece cheaper or free :)
If is that expensive ($29 for a handle? half price of the reel?)...i will buy the same one and keep this for future repairs....no?

Thanks

BeeGuy
06-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Buy a new one. That reel is too cheap to buy parts for.

Enjoy your new reel!

Garry B
06-25-2012, 01:09 PM
If is that expensive ($29 for a handle? half price of the reel?)...i will buy the same one and keep this for future repairs....no?

Thanks

I would not pay that for a part. Buy new in that case.

osedma
06-25-2012, 01:33 PM
I would not pay that for a part. Buy new in that case.

Yeah...is not worth. Thank you.

Time to go shopping.... :) tha's good.

Cal
06-25-2012, 02:09 PM

Thanks!!

Solstace is a good reel for the money but I have a hard time saying that its much better than the Sienna which is even cheaper. The Daiwa Crossfire is better than either IMO and costs the same as the Sienna.

My experiencees with Pflueger have been that for the money the reels perform exceptionaly well when new but wear out significantly faster than Shimano or Daiwa.

osedma
06-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Solstace is a good reel for the money but I have a hard time saying that its much better than the Sienna which is even cheaper. The Daiwa Crossfire is better than either IMO and costs the same as the Sienna.

My experiencees with Pflueger have been that for the money the reels perform exceptionaly well when new but wear out significantly faster than Shimano or Daiwa.

I have never explored other brands diferent than shimano....but I'm not sure if is something related with me, but this is the third shimano reel in less than two years that end up broken in my hands...maybe im not good taking care of it, but seems like a need some HD reel...cheap of course! I will explore the brands you told me and one more, fenwick, a friend of mine told me about these reels, are those good reels??? i have no idea.

Cal
06-25-2012, 02:39 PM
I have never explored other brands diferent than shimano....but I'm not sure if is something related with me, but this is the third shimano reel in less than two years that end up broken in my hands...maybe im not good taking care of it, but seems like a need some HD reel...cheap of course! I will explore the brands you told me and one more, fenwick, a friend of mine told me about these reels, are those good reels??? i have no idea.

Never heard of Fenwick reels. The handle is one of the reasons that I give the nod to Daiwa, on most of the cheaper Shimanos there is some latteral play in the handle that can not be tightened out. This is not abnormal for a cheaper reel but the Diawas dont seem to have this play on any of their reels, not a huge factor but just another one of those little things that has me switching to Diawa.

Its a little more than $50 but if you want a HD reel these things are indestructable. So far mine has outlasted anything else I have owned in its price range by about double, I suspect it will probably outlast me. I think I payed around $75 for mine, an absolute steal given the life I've gotten out of it.

http://www.daiwa.com/Reel/detail.aspx?ID=47

Geezle
06-25-2012, 02:59 PM
I used to have a Diawa Crossfire so I'll back up Cal's recommendation...decent entry level reel, and it comes with a spare (plastic) spool as well. Definitely good bang for your buck :)

Spidey
06-25-2012, 04:03 PM
If you still have the broken part you could try a $10 fix using J-B Cold Weld. I've fixed many things over the years with that stuff...

ghostguy6
06-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Two things come to mind for a quick fix:

1) Check flea markets or garage sales until you find a reel with the same handle and snag it up cheap
2) Take it to Walmart with a printed copy of the Shimano warranty (Shimano warrants to the original purchaser that this product will be free from non-conformities in material or workmanship for the period of one year from the date of purchase.) Claim you lost the reciept and exchange it for a new one.
3) weld the part, sand it to fit.

I had the same part break on my old reel, it cost me $20 only to find out the reel was worth $14

walleyeca
07-01-2012, 10:43 PM
I have a replacement handle for this reel its black and it $10!!!!!!! I dont see buying a new reel at this price shipping to the states is $8 and $7 to calgary you were probably qouted on the original handle replacement they know its an important part thus the reason they price them close to half! thanks please give us a call we will get you one in the mail in hrs!