PDA

View Full Version : Chain Lakes boat ramp :(

Okotokian
06-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Was out at the north end of Chain yesterday morning. I was disappointed to see a new boat launch being built, jutting out into the water, on the east side about 50 yards from the rock dam at the north end of the reservoir. I always liked fishing there, nice and quiet (except for highway noise of course LOL). Now there are going to be boats and vehicles coming and going. Was nice to just have that stuff at the south end. With the north end being closer to Calgary that's the one that will probably get used most now. :(

I also notice they are doing something across the lake too. A field stripped of topsoil, a hill built and a large shovel and other equipment over there.

ReconWilly
06-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Nothing like losing a good shore spot to the boating crowd...condolences...

Oko when were you there and how was the water?

Considering heading down there for sunrise on Wednesday.

Okotokian
06-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Yesterday (Sunday) morning. Water was high, not crystal clear but not terribly bad. I could see lure coming in at maybe 6 feet away and a couple feet down. I didn't land anything but saw jumps and got a few hits. Apparently I need to relearn how to set a hook. LOL

ReconWilly
06-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Yesterday (Sunday) morning. Water was high, not crystal clear but not terribly bad. I could see lure coming in at maybe 6 feet away and a couple feet down. I didn't land anything but saw jumps and got a few hits. Apparently I need to relearn how to set a hook. LOL

Cool thanks, x2 setting the hook on small trout is a skill of its own...

Redfrog
06-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Do you even fish there? I never see any pics of your catches. I think you're making this up. How many times have you been there? and no fish pics? Riiiight!

Okotokian
06-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Do you even fish there? I never see any pics of your catches. I think you're making this up. How many times have you been there? and no fish pics? Riiiight!

The same could be said for "Yes Dear". Pony up the polaroids! ;)

(and when I catch a fish worthy of mention perhaps I'll snap something, but who wants to see 8 or 10 inch rainbows? lol)

Calgaryguy1977
06-25-2012, 12:39 PM
I was there yesterday man and the trout couldnt see my fly so I assume thats why I didnt get any bites....I didnt stay long at chain though because the water was awful in general

TROLLER
06-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Sorry for your loss but it is a Provincial Park and it does allow boats.

Must be a reason for putting one on the north end when I have never had an issue with the ramp on the south. Maybe they also plan on expanding the campground down that way as well.

Just have to wait and see. Meantime there is several klm of shoreline to fish from without being bothered by the boat launch.

Okotokian
06-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Sorry for your loss but it is a Provincial Park and it does allow boats.

Must be a reason for putting one on the north end when I have never had an issue with the ramp on the south. Maybe they also plan on expanding the campground down that way as well.

Just have to wait and see. Meantime there is several klm of shoreline to fish from without being bothered by the boat launch.

True about the shoreline, but the north end has nice access (place to park, gate, pathway) and some cover from north winds. I know it's not the end of the world, just more of an "aww, that's too bad". :)

weedhaul
05-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Just wondering if there is actually a boat launch at the north end, haven't been there in a while but it would certainly save some time coming from Calgary. I just have a canoe to launch anyway. I agree that one ramped launch is probably enough there, I've never seen it that busy and there is a second launch point already for smaller boats.

Okotokian
05-08-2017, 09:20 AM
I have to admit, (again) that I might have been wrong. Haven't been down there yet this spring but it's like they never completed it. Perhaps it was my whiny post 5 years ago that did the trick! LOL I'm not sure what the purpose of the land jutting out into the water.

And now that I have a boat, I'd love for them to finish it. LOL Funny how your own personal circumstances colour your perception. If I owned a quad I'd be furious about the Castle. :)

Crankbait
05-08-2017, 03:33 PM
it's just a rock jetty near an outflow valve

Roderek
05-08-2017, 04:21 PM
It makes sense, its pretty long and takes a while to get to the North end of the lake with the under 10km/hour speed limit.

weedhaul
05-08-2017, 10:07 PM
Went to check it out today, 532 is open but the gate for the road going down to the reservoir was locked. Had to drive down to the regular boat launch, there was hardly anyone there anyway. Wonder who looks after the gate...