PDA

View Full Version : Time to go boat shopping. Advice/wish list?

dale7637
06-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Good day,
I am in the market for a new boat. I have been running a 12' tinner for a while, but its time to upgrade to a bigger machine. I just really dont know where to begin with brands and models, so i came here for some advice.

I am looking for something 17-19 feet long. I need a fair bit of power, as i want to fish some big water bodies. Kakisa lake, great and lesser slave etc.
I want something that can comfortably seat four, maybe more. I need something that can handle some rough water, and some rough use.

Everyone has told me so far to buy a lund, but what model does everyone suggest? There are so many different models to choose from. I am not stuck on lund, but it seems to be where friends have pointed me so far.

This boat will be 90% fishing boat, and occasionally used to maybe pull a tube of skier.

What does everyone suggest? Any suggestions on dealerships in northern alberta?

npauls
06-25-2012, 01:22 PM
I would look into the 3 big names around Alberta for aluminum boats.

Lund, Alumacraft, and crestliner.

I would say go on their websites and pick out the models that come in the size you want and then look at the interior layout and go with whichever one you like the best. Once you have those parts picked out and have a few options call around or go visit some dealerships in your area and price them out and see which one has the bang for your buck.

Another one to look at is the new kingfisher walleye boats. They look like a really nice rig and are tough as nails.

Jiffy10
06-27-2012, 02:15 PM
No offence to any local dealers but ...

Seems if you go where the boats are ... ie Ontario
they have tons of used stuff VS Western Cnd.

I was not in a position to purchase New so here's what I did .

You can really get a good deal on a gently used boat if your have time
to shop around. Its kind of fun also

It took me over a year to find what I wanted on Kijiji and I saves about
30 to 35% on equiv. unit here in Western Cnd. ( 31 hours on the boat )

Transport fee was about $1,500 .

** see you on the water ***

TROLLER
06-27-2012, 02:47 PM
I can go ya one better. Walleyecentral.com and click on classified you will find a few hundred boats for sale.

One thing is a must and that is make sure you get a deep V hull and a step through windshield.

NPauls is right the three best choices are Cresliner, Alumacraft and Lund. Unless of course you wanna spend some serious dough and get the Ranger.

fishpro
06-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Harbercraft makes a pretty sweet boat too!

ptemomo
06-27-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm in the same boat(pun intended). Time to change my old runabout. Doing my research and it seems that Tracker boat seem a really good bang for the buck. I'm just debating now if I wanna go with a deep v or a fishing pontoon to fit the family better!

Sloughsharkjigger
06-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Question I asked myself is .... riveted or welded. If done right welded alum seams can withstand some serious abuse. Some things in the welding terms, butt joint vs ship-lap joint, tig vs. mig. Keep theses in mind.

Riveted, if NOT abused, pounding over the surf... you have all heard it... bam, bam :confused: will last, but will eventually let go.

I have been in the position of trying to re-seat rivets to some success but a re-rivet is generally needed.

Nakoda boater
06-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Alumaweld, 19' Striker

unclebuck
06-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Harbercraft!!!

gramps73
06-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Crestliner all the way....
Welded and well made year after year..

lotw
06-28-2012, 07:17 AM
My dad runs a camp with 11 - 19 foot guide boats - 5 - 2012 throphy 185's that all the giudes HATE. They ride good then devlope a bounce that doesn't stop when trimming the motor down. It ****es off the guests too. 2 Crestliner 185 canadians that they love, 1 1850 sportfish they love, 2 - 1925 harbercraft they are tough as nails and burn less fuel that the rest but hare a little harder to fish in the wind with and the best boat of them all is the Triumph 190 fish and ski. I used to work there and the triumph was by far the best boat. All these boats are powered by 150 hp. Just a note the crestliners have had the bow reinforced so they don't split. These boats ride so good they hit waves at 20 mph faster than they should. The camps have tried lund and sylvans and the riviets get pounded loose after about 3 years and pulled up on the rocks at shore lunch is bad too. It is probably going to happen to the trophys too even with the double hull. They have all fished out of the lunds and they ride good and are easy to fish out of and for a weekend fisherman are a great boat. They have had some powerhead problems with their 150 yamaha 4 stk's too. This place punishes boats a lot more than the average guy but just some info from a place that runs the **** out of their equipment.

sheephunter
06-28-2012, 07:24 AM
I'd check out the new Kingfisher Flex. It's one of the smoothest, fatest hulls I've been in.

Teamprotz
06-28-2012, 07:48 AM
Look to the USA for the best deals. Even used Lunds are way over priced here ! My Tracker Targa was on Walleyecentral for way less than anything remotely comparable here.

dale7637
06-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone.

I have been on the phone steady for the last three days pricing out boats.

I think i have it nailed down to a lund rebel xl, but not sure yet.

The trackers are attractive due to the price difference, but i think i am going to stick with the big 3.

Sheep- thanks for the headsup, i will also check those out.

Thanks again everyone.

BuckHunterBowen
06-28-2012, 05:41 PM
The 20ft sport angler by Lund is a pretty awesome boat. Great in big water and it tops out at 54mph fully loaded. Lots of room with front of center console

dale7637
07-02-2012, 11:21 AM
I thought I would update this.

After looking around, I settled on a 2012 Lund rebel 1825 with a 115 horse 4 stroke merc. I bought it from Kingland ford in hay river. Kingland was a great experience all the way around. I would not hesitate o deal with rem again

I am very happy with the boat, gojnf to take it out again today.

Thanka for the help everyone.

TROLLER
07-02-2012, 01:40 PM
I'm in the same boat(pun intended). Time to change my old runabout. Doing my research and it seems that Tracker boat seem a really good bang for the buck. I'm just debating now if I wanna go with a deep v or a fishing pontoon to fit the family better!

Be carefull with the pontoon. If you live or fish anywhere windy those pontoons are buggers to load.

Do not listen to any sales guy on this subject they are near impossible to get on a trailer EZ load bunks or not. Cannot begin to tell you the number of times myself and several others have helped load pontoons just so we could access the launch to either load or unload our boats.

Cal
07-02-2012, 01:54 PM

After looking around, I settled on a 2012 Lund rebel 1825 with a 115 horse 4 stroke merc. I bought it from Kingland ford in hay river. Kingland was a great experience all the way around. I would not hesitate o deal with rem again

I have an older Lund Rebel, if the new XL models are as much better as they look you have a real nice boat there. Congrats on the boat.

TROLLER
07-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Now thats a boat

congrats

Safety D
07-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Hewescraft sportsman. The only way to go. Get some smoking deals in the US !!!

Cal
07-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Hewescraft sportsman. The only way to go. Get some smoking deals in the US !!!

I've seen a few of these popping up around here, so whats the deal with them? They look alot like a Harbercraft clone, is one better than the other or better priced or what?

Lund Lady
07-05-2012, 01:55 PM

Congrats on your purchase! I just bought a 1775 Lund Impact, 115HP 4 Stroke Mercury! Love it! We have about 60 hours on it and I have nothing but good things to say about it! The Rebels are beautiful! Good luck and happy fishing!